Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bolt-in roll bar...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default bolt-in roll bar...

I've been throwing around the idea of getting a 4pt bolt-in roll bar, a) so I can perhaps get harnesses since right now my neck is being sawed off by my seat belts due to the seat position and b) to add a bit more rigidity.

I know that some people shun the bolt-in applications of anything, SFCs included just because they are not "one" with the unibody, but at this point I could always buy a bolt-in cage, put it in and if I don't like it I'll take it back out and find an alternative; or if I do like it, just weld it in place to make it as solid as possible.

I guess my question is will a 4pt cage create a noticeable difference in chassis stiffness? I already have the SLP 3-points, which in return I've also been thinking about ditching them and getting a set of 2 points.

Comments/suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

no one has roll bars/cages?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an autopower 4 point bolt-in cage in my previous ride and liked it. Whether I felt id added stiffness is more of a subjective call that scientific. I think it did but my main concern was safety in the unlikely event of a rollover. Since I went to open track days regularly I figure it would be one of those items that you wish you never need, but if you end up needing it you would be glad you had it.

One thing to not is that my wife hated it because she couldn't recline the passenger seat so no long trips in the car. The Camaro will probably not get a rollbar because of that.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welded 6 point in my car for now, (to convert to a 10 point this winter).

I would imagine with the sfc, a bolt in would help stiffen the chassis some.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welded 6pt. rollbar chromemoly w/ swingouts on the 35th and mild steel on the blk one.running mac sfc on both of them.you will definatly notice the stiffness if you have it welded.

Quick Reply: bolt-in roll bar...