Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting springs??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting springs??

Hi,

I know cutting springs isn't the best way to drop, but I only want a slight drop, and I don't road race, or intend to go crazy cutting, mabey 1 coil.
I've done the hose mod, and am pleased at the difference, but it would be great to drop another half inch or so all round.
The back will be easy, but is there an easy way to cut the front springs,as they seem a lot more involved?

Thanks for the help....
Old 09-13-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I have to drop the shock out to access the coil spring for cutting, or is there another way to cut it?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are going to have to take the front completely apart to do it...so if it were me, I would put a good quality spring in. Strano's springs rock. Drop a little over an inch and have the correct sping rate. You might want to look into something like that if the funds allow.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Dude if you try cutting those springs with them still in the car then please make sure you post the video up cause something effed up is bound to happen. Seriously man that's a LOT of work to remove the springs just to cut a little off. Then what happens when you slap it all back together and it looks dumb and rides like ****? Gonna have to rip it all back apart again more than likely to do what you should have done in the first place, which is just get some drop springs. Seriously man you can pick up a set of brand new drop springs for like $200 bucks... Hell you can find them even cheaper on ebay or just check the for sale section.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your honest replies.
I do want to buy proper springs, and I guess that's going to be my best bet (lot of work involved, so I'll do it right).

Most springs seem to have a 1.5" drop advertised, with real word drop being reported as a bit more. I can't go that low!! (I have GFX, and don't want to scrape them!).

Anyone make springs that only drop 1/2 inch - 3/4 max?????

I know springs are only $200, but shipping and import duties easily double the cost for me and for the drop it didn't seem worth the ££, but the fender gap bugs the hell outa me. So say ££ !!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hotchkis springs are supposed to drop 1", but many people see more than that.
Stranos drop a consistent 1.2", are lighter than stock, and have proper rates for the drop.
Or for the front you could get Koni SA's, and use the lower perch with your stock springs for a 3/4" drop, but thats front only.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think BMR has some that only drop 1/2".
Old 09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by taws6
Thanks for your honest replies.
I do want to buy proper springs, and I guess that's going to be my best bet (lot of work involved, so I'll do it right).

Most springs seem to have a 1.5" drop advertised, with real word drop being reported as a bit more. I can't go that low!! (I have GFX, and don't want to scrape them!).

Anyone make springs that only drop 1/2 inch - 3/4 max?????

I know springs are only $200, but shipping and import duties easily double the cost for me and for the drop it didn't seem worth the ££, but the fender gap bugs the hell outa me. So say ££ !!
Good man! Glad to see you making the right decision... And yes shipping blows and that sucks even more having to put duty tax on the top!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cut my springs on my car the ride is not that bad and it is low!!! 1-1/2 coils on the front and 1-1/2 coils and the hose mod on the rear

Old 09-14-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
I cut my springs on my car the ride is not that bad and it is low!!! 1-1/2 coils on the front and 1-1/2 coils and the hose mod on the rear

x3 mines about the same...same cut....
Old 09-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Launching!

i`m sorry, this may be a stupid newb ? but what is this hose mod that you speak of?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn

Holy hell! I love your wheel and tire setup man and with the springs cut it has a great mean lookin stance to it. Are those TT2`s? and what size rear tires you got on that thing? I don`t have a clue about buying rims with proper spacing and offset so could you tell me what all that is for that same setup you got there?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info fast377, I'll look into them asap. I just checked and they're for a 1" drop.Mabey I'm looking in the wrong place?
I'm also want LCA PHR and a set of poly bushes, so you one of the sponsors is going to win!

98silvertacrbn you have a mean looking stance. How much of a drop is that, closed up the fender gap nicely.(Love the rims also)

mikeljohnson03, the hose mod is compleatly safe, and fairly easy to do.
It involves releasing the rear shocks, dropping out the spring and isolators (rubber buffers, that stop metal to metal contact), and sliding a length of heater hose round the spring to do the job of the isolator. Gives approx 1/4" -3/4" drop depending on the car.
I done mine in 1.5 hours, and I'm a spanner when it comes to car stuff!.
I think I had about a 1/2" drop, but you can only do this to the rear springs.
There are several write ups on here on how to do it, do a search, and buy the right size hose (can't remember now, sorry) and enjoy the near free drop!

Last edited by taws6; 09-14-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added
Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

This is in the Suspension FAQ:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

If you go to the SLP website you can just order the front level 2 springs.

http://www.slponline.com/car.asp?C=1998-2002%20Firehawk
Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Launching!

i cut one complete coil off the front and had stock saggy 190k mile ones in the rear, i really regret dong it....heres why:
1. on fbodies water collects at the top of the front strut assembly, so when you go to the spring press and go to remove the nut it usually rounds out even with quality sockets(snap on, etc) and you a forced to cut the shock
2. when i cut one complete coil the ride felt stock and i didnt have time to align it till on week later, well my front tires were almost completly toast from all sides and center, when i tried aligneing there was not enough room to adjust caster/camber, i got as close as could and swapped rear tires to front and about a month later they were bald again,
3. i went with aftermarket monroe shocks about $60 a piece and they were junk at the base where the spring sits it rubbed the entire time and i got a popping noise that was very loud so i eventually had to find some used low mileage factory decarbons
....so point of the story is get some quality springs and make sure you buy shocks because you will need them
Old 09-14-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i cut mine and road for a few months that way. had to change b/c i needed to bring mine up a little off the ground, my community added 3 large speed bumps made a big headache everytime i left home and returned.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I know cutting springs isn't the best way to drop, but I only want a slight drop, and I don't road race, or intend to go crazy cutting, mabey 1 coil.
I've done the hose mod, and am pleased at the difference, but it would be great to drop another half inch or so all round.
The back will be easy, but is there an easy way to cut the front springs,as they seem a lot more involved?

Thanks for the help....
Ricers cut springs...buy some Strano's or a Pro Kit
Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info fast377, I'll look into them asap. I just checked and they're for a 1" drop.Mabey I'm looking in the wrong place?
I'm also want LCA PHR and a set of poly bushes, so you one of the sponsors is going to win!

98silvertacrbn you have a mean looking stance. How much of a drop is that, closed up the fender gap nicely.(Love the rims also)

mikeljohnson03, the hose mod is compleatly safe, and fairly easy to do.
It involves releasing the rear shocks, dropping out the spring and isolators (rubber buffers, that stop metal to metal contact), and sliding a length of heater hose round the spring to do the job of the isolator. Gives approx 1/4" -3/4" drop depending on the car.
I done mine in 1.5 hours, and I'm a spanner when it comes to car stuff!.
I think I had about a 1/2" drop, but you can only do this to the rear springs.
There are several write ups on here on how to do it, do a search, and buy the right size hose (can't remember now, sorry) and enjoy the near free drop!
Thanks man I`ll look into that.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikeljohnson03
Holy hell! I love your wheel and tire setup man and with the springs cut it has a great mean lookin stance to it. Are those TT2`s? and what size rear tires you got on that thing? I don`t have a clue about buying rims with proper spacing and offset so could you tell me what all that is for that same setup you got there?
Ya they are just tt'2 17x9.5 in thr front and 17x11 in the rear. tomzwheels has them just about as cheap as you can get them he sells them on here in the wheel and tire section
Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!! i am pretty sure the front is about 1-3/4 drop and the rear is about 2"