Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Rears???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Rear Brakes???

Ok, I checked the stickies, and searched and searched. I found nothing telling me how to actually fit C5 rear brakes on a 98-02 F-Body.

So... what's required?

Before you flame me and tell me that the F-Body rear brakes are fine... hear me out. My SS has 217k miles on it, and I just noticed brake fluid all over my right rear wheel/rotor/caliper. Yes, I know I could just replace the caliper or rebuild it, but I want to do this mod partially for looks, and partially to have new calipers instead of my old, ragged out ones. The car will soon be getting C6Z06 Wheels (in order to fit the CTS-V front calipers w/14" rotors), and I want some good looking rear brakes to match.

Are the C5 rear calipers forged like the C5 fronts? How big are the rotors?

I'm thinking I just need to change the Calipers, Rotors, Pads, and Lines? I'm not sure about that disc in drum e-brake setup, but that thing drives me crazy. I have to adjust it every 3 months just to keep it working right, and I'm tired of it. So if I have to get a new e-brake setup to make it work, all the better.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jmdale1984; 09-18-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I doubt anyone's going to flame you about corvette wheels.

Depends on what size and what exact wheel style your talking about. I think most if not all fit.

I'd fix the brake system leak before everything though for safety reasons first and for bling reasons second. You don't want brake fluid getting on any new wheels obviously, it ruins paint pretty bad. The leak could be coming from anywhere,, the caliper, the hose, the banjo bolt connections, the bleeder screw, the hard line. If your car is old then I'd consider just refreshing everything including rebuilding the caliper or buying a new one which is what I'd do since I seem to have a lot of stuck bleeder screws that I shred to pieces.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I doubt anyone's going to flame you about corvette wheels.

Depends on what size and what exact wheel style your talking about. I think most if not all fit.

I'd fix the brake system leak before everything though for safety reasons first and for bling reasons second. You don't want brake fluid getting on any new wheels obviously, it ruins paint pretty bad. The leak could be coming from anywhere,, the caliper, the hose, the banjo bolt connections, the bleeder screw, the hard line. If your car is old then I'd consider just refreshing everything including rebuilding the caliper or buying a new one which is what I'd do since I seem to have a lot of stuck bleeder screws that I shred to pieces.
Maybe I should be more clear. I'm talking about upgrading to the C5 rear brakes. I know noone's gonna flame me about corvette wheels.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

its not worth it to change the rears. if you want looks, just rebuild your stock system, and have the calipers painted/powdercoated/decaled and theyll look fine.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
its not worth it to change the rears. if you want looks, just rebuild your stock system, and have the calipers painted/powdercoated/decaled and theyll look fine.
That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping to avoid. What I'm saying is, I don't care if it's "worth it", I just want to know if it can be done, and if so, how do I do it?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
Maybe I should be more clear. I'm talking about upgrading to the C5 rear brakes. I know noone's gonna flame me about corvette wheels.
For some reason I read "wheels". The sad part was I wasn't drinking when I thought that
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm trying to do the same thing. I bought powdercoated C5 calipers and brackets for the front and rear from a member here. I have the fronts on but the rears don't look like they are going to match up using the C5 abutment brackets. I have one side put together using the Fbody abutment bracket, C5 rotor, edit: Fbody pads(not C5), and C5 caliper and it spins fine and looks like it will work but I will have to get the little C5 spring/silencer that goes on the top of the C5 caliper and paint the Fbody abutment brackets and find something to do with the C5 abutment brackets that I will have no use for.

Last edited by wht01ws6ta; 09-20-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-19-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talked to a guy at Kore3 and he said the only other thing that I needed was the anti-rattle spring that goes in the top of the caliper and these would have to be notched or grinded down some on the top to keep the rotors from scraping on them. O'Reilly's has a kit Item No: HDW5633 that supposedly has the springs in it. I ordered the kit and I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the store to see it.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Talked to a guy at Kore3 and he said the only other thing that I needed was the anti-rattle spring that goes in the top of the caliper and these would have to be notched or grinded down some on the top to keep the rotors from scraping on them. O'Reilly's has a kit Item No: HDW5633 that supposedly has the springs in it. I ordered the kit and I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the store to see it.
Thanks for the good info. Did you have to do anything with the e-brakes? Let me know how it goes.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think any changes have to be made to the e-brake. But, I believe I will have to re-use my Fbody pads or buy new ones since the Fbody caliper is being used. The Fbody pads have an ear on the center of them that pushes down the anti-rattle spring. The C5 pads don't have this because the C5 abutment bracket is smaller. If I put in the C5 pads I don't think they would come into contact with the anti-rattle spring like they are supposed to cuz they don't have the ear.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a way to do it, i have the article actually. I will post it for you when i get to work here in a bit.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chavez885
There is a way to do it, i have the article actually. I will post it for you when i get to work here in a bit.
Awesome, thanks a million.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
A way to use the C5 pads? Yeah, let us know, I would much rather use the brand new C5 pads I have already!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the good info. Did you have to do anything with the e-brakes? Let me know how it goes.
Actually, now that I look at it a little more, the C5 rotor is not as wide as the Fbody rotor so the C5 rotor only covers up half of the e-brake pads The anti-rattle springs in the hardware kit fit fine but the rotors scrape the springs just a little so I might need to grind them down as shown here: http://phantomss.com/camaro/c5calipers/index.shtml

Chavez, do you have that link to the article?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, I checked the stickies, and searched and searched. I found nothing telling me how to actually fit C5 rear brakes on a 98-02 F-Body.

So... what's required?

Before you flame me and tell me that the F-Body rear brakes are fine... hear me out. My SS has 217k miles on it, and I just noticed brake fluid all over my right rear wheel/rotor/caliper. Yes, I know I could just replace the caliper or rebuild it, but I want to do this mod partially for looks, and partially to have new calipers instead of my old, ragged out ones. The car will soon be getting C6Z06 Wheels (in order to fit the CTS-V front calipers w/14" rotors), and I want some good looking rear brakes to match.

Are the C5 rear calipers forged like the C5 fronts? How big are the rotors?

I'm thinking I just need to change the Calipers, Rotors, Pads, and Lines? I'm not sure about that disc in drum e-brake setup, but that thing drives me crazy. I have to adjust it every 3 months just to keep it working right, and I'm tired of it. So if I have to get a new e-brake setup to make it work, all the better.

Thanks in advance.
PM Trackbird about this...he can set you straight on the procedure for doing it.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...topic=4105&hl=
Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all this good info guys.

^Trackbird... that link isn't working. Maybe it's because I'm on my smartphone. I'll try it tomorrow when I'm on my PC.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all this good info guys.

^Trackbird... that link isn't working. Maybe it's because I'm on my smartphone. I'll try it tomorrow when I'm on my PC.
I couldn't get it to work either...I don't think the URL is complete.

FWIW I assembled the rears with C5 calipers, C5 anti-rattlesprings,C5 pads, Fbody abutment brackets and Fbody rotors and everything seems fine after a test drive but I'd still like to know what it takes to use the C5 directional rotors if anybody can post up the information!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

chavez885, trackbird, anybody?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doh...forgot about this thread...

http://www.phantomss.com/camaro/c5calipers/index.shtml

Quick Reply: C5 Rears???