Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pro-Kit Rear Sagging...Spacers Fix It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Pro-Kit Rear Sagging...Spacers Fix It?

I've got the Eibach Pro-Kit and I've heard all the horror stories of the rear springs eventually sagging. I used something like this on a VW several years ago to get the rear-end back up to the stock height, so I was wondering if anyone has tried this fix for the rear Pro-Kit springs:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2D1287&FROM=MG

I actually hit the bumpstops pretty good now when I hit a good sized bump, would these help me now if I went ahead and tried them?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, why in the hell do people keep buying this crappy kit I don't get it. They don't improve the handling of the vehicle, they actually make it worse because the car sits way too low. It sure as hell isn't for the ride quality. And the price isn't really that much cheaper than a set of strano springs. So please tell me why do people buy the pro kit.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Every car, regardless of what it is with a Pro-Kit tends to develop the reverse rake. I never understood why they were so popular. When I do my suspension because the stock GTO stuff is starting to sag, I'm going with zero drop rear and maybe a half inch drop in the front. I don't need it to be slammed, I just want it to handle and ride well.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only rationale of Eibach Pro-kit and/or Sportline springs being popular is mostly down to fancy marketing, nothing else.

A small solution would be to replace the rear Eibach pro-kit springs with the OE springs, except installed with the "hose mod" instead of the isolators and retain the front pro-kits. Many around here and several who I've suggested this to have been satisfied with this minimal mod (provided they do not plan on moving up to something else).

I do have to agree with Major Lee Slow about the Strano springs, because they're really one of very few of the "replacement" performance lowering springs out there short of a coil-over system that really live up to the hype.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 09-20-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eibach's quality must have slipped tremendously over the years. I installed a set of their "ProKit" springs on my Z-28 back in January-February of 1996. They still seem to be OK....
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

It's my understanding that the LT1 Pro-Kit is completely different from the LS1 Pro-Kit...I have NO idea why....
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
It's my understanding that the LT1 Pro-Kit is completely different from the LS1 Pro-Kit...I have NO idea why....
If for no other reason, the LS-1 engine being all aluminum, would require a different front spring rate, as the LT-1's block is iron, therefore a little heavier.

As for the rears, I haven't a clue...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

I think I read somewhere that they're a completely differnent design...like the LT1's are linear and the LS1's are progressive or vica-versa...I'm not really sure...but I have heard the LT1 Pro-Kit doesn't have the rear sagging issue
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even though the complete LS1 engine assembly does indeed weigh less than their LT1 counterparts, the GVW, GVRW, GVFW are all nearly identical.

I've verfied this on corner scales between several stock, nearly identically optioned LS1's and LT1's, so I ask like Sam Strano asks, why did Eibach feel the need for vastly different spring designs for the two?

Now, AFA those spring spacers, if ride and handling, and maybe spring fitment won't matter to you, then you could try them as their price isn't very expensive. If you do, try to place them at the nearest coil to the top as you can. I've used spacers like those before and other designs before, and from personal experience, I'll never do them again.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

When I did my LS1 conversion, the donor car I pulled all the **** off of had the Pro-Kit. I figured it was a good opportunity to get my car lowered , which it did, but my *** end sags so bad now! I hit the bump stops so hard, they ended up destroyed! I actually flaked off the inner wheel liner. I really don't think they're worth **** for the LS1. Handling isnt all that great either

Quick Reply: Pro-Kit Rear Sagging...Spacers Fix It?