Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watt's linkage on f-body ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watt's linkage on f-body ?

Did anybody ever try to convert f-body rearend to the Watt's linkage system? Just curious - seems straightforward from an engineering standpoint and would make perfect sense for the aftermarket rearends, though I'm not sure if the results are truly dramatically better than Panhard bar.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

click me
Attached Thumbnails Watt's linkage on f-body ?-search.jpg  

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 09-22-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks, just found it myself... truly f-body world made a big progress in the last 7 years
Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

From a customer who got his installed:

"Drove about 50 miles today in about a five mile radius of my house. So far I'm really smiling. I think this is going to work well. I was on nittos (instead of hoosiers) Figured I'd better pull in before someone called the state police. First time I liked the long response time around here.
I absolutely Can't wait to get it back on a track. Nelson ledges had two day open track this weekend and BMWCCA has a week long school /octoberfest at Watkins Glen - THIS WEEK. Damn this lack of time off."

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

have you gotten yours installed yet sam??
or any idea when you you??

thanks
tony
Old 09-25-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed one and immediately felt a huge difference.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I haven't gotten mine on. No time, with Nationals and the fact I'm pretty much alone here these days. I will have one on my car, you can bet on it. The feelings in post #6 sum up the responses I've gotten from the other 2 guys I've talked to who got theirs installed.

Maybe you can get 2002_Z28_Six_Speed to give a little more detail. My personal findings on the cars I've driven with them (Mustangs to this point) is that the back of the car is just a lot more stable and less upset by any sort of imperfection in the road. In a way it almost makes a solid axle car feel like an IRS car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
My personal findings on the cars I've driven with them (Mustangs to this point) is that the back of the car is just a lot more stable and less upset by any sort of imperfection in the road. In a way it almost makes a solid axle car feel like an IRS car.
If that's what can be expected, I can definitely see myself placing an order for one of these things this winter . Maybe two!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey me too! Im really wanting one because now my double rod ended phb is poping and making all sorts of noise whenever im driving along down the trails, er i mean oklahoma roads.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

It is worth every penny I paid. I had my preoccupations at first but this really is a high quality kit and I would spend the money again in a second.

I have a 12 bolt moser, 3 in single exhuast, and aerochamber muff, the install was like cutting a piece of butter. It couldn't of been simpler. The kit doesn't get anywhere near my exhuast at all. There are no weird tools you have to buy to install it. Just a couple of wrenches, a dial level, and time.

* Improved straight line tracking, not as much jitter on bumpy roads. I don't feel like I am fighting the car all the time on bumpy roads with dips and indents where the crown is bad and it REALLY needs to be repaved.
* Much firmer and more predictable road feel in the corners.
* Taking off hard feels more natural.
* On hard braking on rough surfaces the car is much better!
* I don't feel like I have picked up any road noise dispite the rod ends/little compliance/no rubber insulators.

I let some of my friends drive/ride in the car and they noticed a huge improvment in the way the car took the corner.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

sam. how much room is between the cover and the watts. like i have a s60 on order and i hear it has a bigger back cover. will the watts work on it? also will it work on a 9in with the back brace?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
sam. how much room is between the cover and the watts. like i have a s60 on order and i hear it has a bigger back cover. will the watts work on it? also will it work on a 9in with the back brace?
I would say I have slightly over an inch with a 12.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
It is worth every penny I paid. I had my preoccupations at first but this really is a high quality kit and I would spend the money again in a second.

I have a 12 bolt moser, 3 in single exhuast, and aerochamber muff, the install was like cutting a piece of butter. It couldn't of been simpler. The kit doesn't get anywhere near my exhuast at all. There are no weird tools you have to buy to install it. Just a couple of wrenches, a dial level, and time.

* Improved straight line tracking, not as much jitter on bumpy roads. I don't feel like I am fighting the car all the time on bumpy roads with dips and indents where the crown is bad and it REALLY needs to be repaved.
* Much firmer and more predictable road feel in the corners.
* Taking off hard feels more natural.
* On hard braking on rough surfaces the car is much better!
* I don't feel like I have picked up any road noise dispite the rod ends/little compliance/no rubber insulators.

I let some of my friends drive/ride in the car and they noticed a huge improvment in the way the car took the corner.
That's what I like to hear.... Happy customers. And I thank you for adding some details other than the generic "it feels good". That's always a key.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The swaybar has to move between the frame of the Watts Link and the rear end housing. The frame of the Watts is not right against the housing. I've never measured the distance (and that will of course change depending on the axle and what kind of cover is installed). But since the Watts uses GM mounting locations you don't loose much room (maybe 1.5") vs. the stock PHB/brace setup. It was tested on both 10 and 12 bolt axles. It was not tested on a 9", but I can't see how it will be an issue since the 9" has to fit in pretty much the same location as everything else.

In the end, I can't really answer you question as I've not seen one in a car with an S60 or 9". I suspect it will be a non-issue, but can't know that for sure.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The swaybar has to move between the frame of the Watts Link and the rear end housing. The frame of the Watts is not right against the housing. I've never measured the distance (and that will of course change depending on the axle and what kind of cover is installed). But since the Watts uses GM mounting locations you don't loose much room (maybe 1.5") vs. the stock PHB/brace setup. It was tested on both 10 and 12 bolt axles. It was not tested on a 9", but I can't see how it will be an issue since the 9" has to fit in pretty much the same location as everything else.

In the end, I can't really answer you question as I've not seen one in a car with an S60 or 9". I suspect it will be a non-issue, but can't know that for sure.
This is true. Also, there is a curve in the mounting structure of the watts link. This "kick back" pushes back the mounting location of the prop as the prop wouldn't be hanging dead in line with where the PHB was.

Sam,

Do you sell any solution for lowering the swaybar? I have made a bracket which is extended off of a muffler clamp to lower mine for the watts install but I am looking for something -- more professional.

Do any of your aftermarket rear swaybars that just mount lower?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
This is true. Also, there is a curve in the mounting structure of the watts link. This "kick back" pushes back the mounting location of the prop as the prop wouldn't be hanging dead in line with where the PHB was.

Sam,

Do you sell any solution for lowering the swaybar? I have made a bracket which is extended off of a muffler clamp to lower mine for the watts install but I am looking for something -- more professional.

Do any of your aftermarket rear swaybars that just mount lower?
Fays2 had sent out some aluminum lowering blocks to drop the bar down a bit a few days after the Watts themselves shipping. As far as I know everyone should have gotten them. Did you receive them?

If not PM me and we'll get that taken care of.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

The new watts link look good on there 2002_Z28. Sounds like it preforms perfectly to, just wish I could afford one for my self right now.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

2002 Z28, sweet install. Have you tried any straight line launches as if you were at the drag strip? Does it feel like it helps with launcing off the line? Have you had a chance to play with any of the settings or did you just set it up in the "stock" location?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

sam i know i have asked once. but is it ok to weld the tabs on? and not clamp with bolts?

also when you all keep saying sway bar. you mean the real sway bar. or the two arms that come off that watts?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myfast70
2002 Z28, sweet install. Have you tried any straight line launches as if you were at the drag strip? Does it feel like it helps with launcing off the line? Have you had a chance to play with any of the settings or did you just set it up in the "stock" location?
I started off setting it up in the second lowest hole b/c that is what seemed right to me. When I glanced at the instructions I saw they recommended the middle hole so I went for that. I will probably try out a lower setting soon.

I does have a different feeling from a launch which is hard to describe.

sam i know i have asked once. but is it ok to weld the tabs on? and not clamp with bolts?

also when you all keep saying sway bar. you mean the real sway bar. or the two arms that come off that watts?
If you mean what do you have to relocate? All you have to do is drop your actual sway bar down about 1/2 of an inch from its current mounting point on the axle. This is the normal sway bar that is attached to the body.

You can't weld the tabs but you could weld the edges of the axle clamps on. There would be plenty of surface area there.

The problem is that you really need to bolt on the kit first and verify that it is working. Plus you are going to pretty much take away all adjustability of the roll center unless you die grinder it off again...

Quick Reply: Watt's linkage on f-body ?