Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should you lube sway bar end links?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Should you lube sway bar end links?

Just temp installed some new ones during my shock install. I thought some good marine grease would keep them from squeeking but when i put minimal torque on them, they slide out of alignment with the domed washers.

Was i thinking to hard when i lubed them and should just clean them up?
Or is this a good idea to prevent noise?

Thanks i feel like an *** asking something like this.....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The energy suspension end links I put on said not to lube them. None on the end links, ample lube on the bushings.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know to do this or not, so when I got my Strano sways (poly endlinks and poly d bracket bushings) I put a lot of grease on the d bracket bushings and a little bit on the poly endlinks.

So far so good...
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Teching In

No... don't put any lube on the end links. Not sure if they can be cleaned. If you have energy suspension, you may verify with the manual (all .pdf's are on their website). If you use 1LE from GM (teflon?), check with the dealer.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i plan on finding some quality endlinks and repacing them soon. I never heard about replacing them when lowering your car until i did some researching during my koni install. I just happened across it somewhere in a thread and saw sam strano's response to someone, saying you should change them and that he had some in stock. I bought my springs from him and i don't remember him saying anything about them.

I'm going to keep the lubed duralast's on there for now, and order some better ones this week. I would have already had some had i known.

Search didn't bring up much ond end links, anyone know of a quality brand?

Last edited by sneaky7980; 09-23-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm pretty sure it's just the d-bushings that squeak. The bar rotates inside the bushings when the suspension is working, which causes the squeaking when the grease is gone.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'm pretty sure it's just the d-bushings that squeak. The bar rotates inside the bushings when the suspension is working, which causes the squeaking when the grease is gone.
You're absolutely correct. Thank you z28bryan for mentioning this.

The only reason for needing lubrication where a poly bushing is...

to greatly reduce static friction between two surface areas of great friction. When the proper grease is used...it does NOT affect the durometer, creep ("cold-flow") and/or the lifespan of the polybushing.

This is why poly swaybar "D" bushings, poly control arm bushings, and poly torque-arm mounts DO require lubrication, and why poly endlink bushings, poly motor mounts, poly transmission mounts, spring spacers, and some other types of "isolators/indexers" DO NOT.

The sway bar endlink bushings for this cars swaybar design ARE supposed to bind. Only minimal movement is required, hence why instruction for most kits suggest not to overtighten the endlinks. That's what they were essentially designed for.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info!

Quick Reply: Should you lube sway bar end links?