Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help with new Torque Arm!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with new Torque Arm!

I put in my new lca's with some relocation brackets and while doing this i noticed my stock torque arm seemed to be bent and just looked bad. So i searched around and noticed everyone seemed to have a problem with there new torque arms banging the car. I want an adjustable TA but which one should i get that it wont bang? I don't want to mount it to the trans but i def do not want it to bang if im spending almost $500. So if you guys have a setup that doesnt bang or have fixed the problem help me out. My cars an A4 if that matters.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, we can help you out with this. Our full length adjustable torque arm is one of the strongest on the market. When you combine that with our torque arm relocation bracket crossmember its a combination that cannot be beat. Our full length arm is available in 1.25" x .120 dom steel with 1/4" mounting plates. We also offer a chrome moly version as well. The crossmember is 1 5/8" x.120 dom with a 1/4" thick mounting plate. I will post a couple of pics with this combo installed.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

thats what i've been looking at, seems like the only solution for it not to bang.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have this setup is alot of cars several running well into the nines in the quarter, so the parts can take the abuse of the track or a daily driver. Please give me a call and we can further discuss your application and pricing.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Here is another option for you... we also offer a torque arm and relocation kit.

www.umiperformance.com/2205

www.umiperformance.com/2208

If you have any questions please ask and I will be glad to help you. If this wasn't in your budget you can also purchase just the torque arm and add the relocation kit at a later date.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 09-25-2008, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

how bad would it be to get an adjustable or non adjustable TA and mount it in the stock location until i get money for the relocation bracket? Is it really going to hurt the tranny to mount it there?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackSSmoke01
how bad would it be to get an adjustable or non adjustable TA and mount it in the stock location until i get money for the relocation bracket? Is it really going to hurt the tranny to mount it there?
You will be 100% fine doing that, we have many cars running like that with no issues. The tail shaft can fail and we have seen them break, however it doesn't happen always and usually happens on higher powered vehicles. Seeing your vehicle is more of a street car and it is also a automatic I see no problem at all with you running just a torque arm.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Our will mount in the stock location and work just fine. When gm mounted the torque arm to the tailshaft that wasn't one of their better ideas. If you add horsepower to the car the relocation bracket should be considered.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

anyone running a TA to the stock location without using a relocation kit or tunnel brace mount??
Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Always fun watching the exchanges.

I run a UMI arm. I run it on the tranny as it is stock. Yes, that mounting can break. So can everything else on the car. Folks frag rear ends and engines and transmissions (internally) way more often than they break the TA mounting point unless the car is just stupid fast.

As was pointed out, you also have the option of a TA relocation bracket (basically a new tranny mount) that the TA bolts to if you are worried about breaking the tailshaft. And it can accept a full length arm (even a stock one).

As for the "bang". Not sure what you mean, but pretty much every aftermarket TA that has a beefy differential mount can have some contact with the floor. Edelbrock's don't because they use this flimsy stamped bracket that doesn't take up room. That is something you'd have to be ok with on the aftermarket arms like you see above. I'm perfectly willing to accept the few hits on the floorpan for the stronger TA. And in short order the floor will be "massaged" to fit around the bracket and the hit will stop anyway.

FWIW, the stock TA's do look a bit twisted--they all do.

Just wanted to add some perspective here. I am a "UMI" guy, I like, use and sell UMI stuff. In this case you are talking about two very similar products and I'm just trying to answer your question the best I can.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

thanks sam, i too have all umi suspension parts. so you have your TA mounted in the stock position on the tranny? i've just heard that if you use the tunnel brace kit it bangs like crazy. My y pipe already shakes the whole car lol but thats a dif story and motor mounts are coming lol
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

thanks sam, i too have all umi suspension parts. so you have your TA mounted in the stock position on the tranny?
Yes Sam has it mounted to the stock position with out a relocation kit, his vehicle is a manual as well.

As for the banging, the tunnel mounted torque arms can in some cases generate more noise... it all depends on the set-up. Some customers have different set-ups, banging can be from a low y-pipe hitting, loose bolts, incorrect installation or a lowered car with a aftermarket torque arm. There is many variables... they just need determined

The best thing to do is let us know- How you drive the vehicle? Drag racing, daily driver, auto cross? What are you plans for the vehicle in the near future? What rear end? If factory do you plan on changing it soon? Is the car lowered? If not, do you plan on lowering it?

These questions answered will help us recommend the correct set-up for you. Let me know and I am glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think there might be a little confusion here (not that I'm shocked, it's the biggest issue with e-mail based communication and why I like to actually *talk* to people).

In my experience the noise comes from tunnel brace type mounted TA's because they mount the TA to the floorpan which is thin and can transmit a lot of noise and vibration.

A TA relocation kit is completely, COMPLETELY different in that it mounts to an area under the car that's meant to accept drivetrain loads (the tranny crossmember mounting location).

I've had no complaints about noise from the folks I've sold the TA Relocation kit to.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

im buying an adjustable TA mounting it in the stock location until i can save up somemore green and buy a relocation kit.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think that's not at all unreasonable (and what I have on my car). Let me know if I can be any help. All of UMI's TA's on listed on my website.

Search this Thread