Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help Possible suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Possible suspension problem

I recently installed a Stage 2 T-56 from Tick performance and ever since I have been getting a vibration any time I go over 50mph. It gets progressively worse at higher speeds and is the worst in 6th gear. I thought that the problem could have been the pinion angle since I didnt reset it with an angle finder when I reinstalled the torque arm. I took the car to a friends shop today and put it on an alignment rack to check the angle. The angle is good but the technician that looked at the car said that the transmission sounds strange when in neutral spinning the driveshaft by hand. There is also alot of play in the driveshaft when twisted by hand. The trans is the only thing that was changed and I never had any problems before so I am leaning towards that as the cause but I wanted to get some input before I pull it out again. As far as suspension the car has a Moser 9" rear, UMI adjustable torque arm,UMI adjustable LCA's, UMI adjustable panhard rod and relocation, and is lowered with revaled Bilsteins and Strano springs. Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the clutch, flywheel, and/or the pilot bearing at the same time or are you using the same stuff before the tranny build? Does it have a poly trans mount?

What kind of driveshaft are you using, and how long have you been running it? With a 9" it typically takes a one inch longer shaft. If the shaft is the factory length, it may not be going deep enough into the tail bushing of the transmission which may be causing the extra play. This could create more wear on the bushing and even cause it to pull out of the tailhousing.

The play in the driveshaft is probably the backlash in the rear. If it has a detroit locker in it it will feel like it has an extreme amount of play, but that is just the design of the locker. I'm sure you've checked the u-joints.

I'm not really sure how anyone could hear a strange noise in the trans when turning it by hand. What does it sound like when the engine is running in neutral and the clutch is engaged (pedal out)?

We'd be glad to take a look at it if you feel its in the transmission. Since you're in VA you could just drive or haul it on down here. If we did something wrong on our assembly we'll make it right.

Quick Reply: Need Help Possible suspension problem