Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable shocks, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable shocks, HELP!

A stupid question... I have some adjustable shocks on my 00 SS mated with sportline springs. I have the bumpiest ride that one can imagine. When I was doing headers I was under the car and noticed that the front and the back are both set to setting "1". I'm not sure if this is too firm or too soft. I don't know what brand the shocks are but they adjustment style on them is with the ****, not the turning type shocks. Where should I have these bad boys adjusted to and how much of a difference will I notice?

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What color and any markings? AGX's maybe?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Probably, AGX, aren't the ratings all the same? Either way, what is 1, too firm or too soft? Car is always bouncing around and hits the bump stops.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

You have sportlines. They are always going to feel like crap. Do a search on sportlines and find out how popular they are. Probably the worst set of springs available. You don't buy sportlines to get a good ride quality.

It won't hurt to at least turn the shocks up. If they are AGX's then that means the compression will probably turn up too. Not ideal by any means for a solution, but it won't hurt to try and see what happens. For both ride comfort and performance purposes, you don't want to overdampen your compression. But at this point you will have to decide what you want. Overdampening your springs or oscillate off your bumpstops several times. Experiment and see what you get. I would guess you're it's not going to help make the ride too comfortable.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Now you know why everyone hates sportlines, you should have searched. Their drop is far too much for their spring rates.
"1" should be "soft", but i doubt it will will make enough of a difference on those springs. Take a look at how close your rear is to the bump stops...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd also guess they are AGX's.... are they red?

1 is too soft for lowering springs (of any type) and having shocks that can't deal with the lowering is as bad (actually worse) than having shocks that are overly stiff for the job.

These guys are right. Sportlines suck. AGX's are so-so at best, but here the springs are the issue more than the shock--assuming the shocks aren't broken. You need to make the best of it and play with shock settings and see what happens until you are ready to swap to more appropriate parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help,

I had sportlines on my old LT1 mated with Bilsteins non-adjustables but by no means was the ride quality as bad as it is now. Question... can I turn the ***** ont he shocks will the car is resting on them or does it have to be done when the car is jacked up?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Ok, so you are comparing the shocks you have set on #1 to the Bilstein's you had before. I'm not going to argue that the AGX's @ #1 are way better, and in fact I too feel they'd be worse as they are far too soft for the lowering. That doesn't mean the Sportlines are great, they still suck. It's just with the shocks you have, set where they are, they suck worse than the Bilstein's did.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!