Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Embarassing, dumb brake pad question.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embarassing, dumb brake pad question.

Hey guys.

I am not a brake expert, nor have I ever changed a brake pad before.

Yea, yea I know. I've done a heads / cam / rear end / transmission / clutch etc on this car... and never touched the brakes.

Well tonight I swapped the pads out, and I couldn't help but notice there was nothing that seemed to hold the brake pads in place.

The rear brake calipers have 3 total clips, one in the middle, and one at the top and one at the bottom, yet these don't firmly hold the pads. What I mean is this, I put it all back together and the wheel will turn with no brake pressure, and it stops with brake pressure... but even with no brake pressure if I look at it you can see the pads are still touching the rotor. Is this normal?

I mean on this particular brake system, do the pads sort of free float inside the caliper? And only provide stopping power / clamping force when the brakes are applied? It seems to me if they are this way, they would lightly rub all the time.

Just seems odd to me it is set up this way.....

Last edited by ineedashortblock; 10-02-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have these metal clips in the front too. The brake pads do float in between the caliper but it is very a close fit. when you push the brake pedal it will apply the clamping force on the pads.

Last edited by conan; 04-29-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/disc-brake2.htm

The clips are just anti-squeal clips. They work with the grease you applied to the metal on metal contact surfaces (right?) to cut down noise.

As the pads drag on the rotor, they will naturally pull away (like skipping a stone on water) and press against the caliper instead of the rotor.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disc brakes always drag a little bit, that's just the way they are. The only thing holding the pads in place are the caliper/caliper pistons, and the abutment bracket. Yeah it does seem weird at first, but that's how it is.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
Hey guys.

I am not a brake expert, nor have I ever changed a brake pad before.

Yea, yea I know. I've done a heads / cam / rear end / transmission / clutch etc on this car... and never touched the brakes.

Well tonight I swapped the pads out, and I couldn't help but notice there was nothing that seemed to hold the brake pads in place.

The rear brake calipers have 3 total clips, one in the middle, and one at the top and one at the bottom, yet these don't firmly hold the pads. What I mean is this, I put it all back together and the wheel will turn with no brake pressure, and it stops with brake pressure... but even with no brake pressure if I look at it you can see the pads are still touching the rotor. Is this normal?

I mean on this particular brake system, do the pads sort of free float inside the caliper? And only provide stopping power / clamping force when the brakes are applied? It seems to me if they are this way, they would lightly rub all the time.

Just seems odd to me it is set up this way.....

You are correct my friend. They just sit in the caliper bracket free to slide along inside of them. The caliper applies force on both sides when braking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Embarassing, dumb brake pad question.