Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E-Brake - popping...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Brake - popping...

Ok so every now and again when I go to pull my e-brake up it will POP real loud and shoot all the way up like its stripped out. I press the button, push it down and it work again?

What in the hell is going on? I first thought it was me pulling it to hard, but sometimes it does it when im hardly pulling it up and just easing it. One day it shot up so hard it took a small chunk out of my console!!!

Car is a 1999 Pontiac Trans Am. Also I have to pull the e-brake up really far to work.

I worry a little since my driveway is a pretty big slope.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. Don't know why, but I think it's supposed to do that.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope mine doesent do that
Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you ever changed the rear rotors and/or adjusted the e-brake?

If you have changed the rotors and did not adjust the e-brake pads to fit the new rotor, you may have too much play in the system, causing the handle to come off the ratchet mechanism.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you need to adjust your ebrake cylinders. they are located inside the brake rotors on the backing plates. the ebrake shoes should just slightly touch the rotor but the rotor should still be free to turn. it's a star adjuster that you can use a screwdriver to turn. if you adjust them up a little, the ebrake handle will not have to be pulled so far up...but also take a look at the ebrake shoes while it's apart to make sure there is still material left on them.

the popping noise happens when the internal racheting mecahnism in the ebrake handle assy lets go, then when you let the handle down, the rachet finger engages and it works again. adjust your ebrake shoes.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing every great while. I don't worry about it cuz the ebrake works just fine the rest of the time. I might check out what these guys are saying though.