Good workboots, for being on concrete floor all day

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
I had a pair of Dr. Martin steel toe work boots and I loved them. Look into the MUD DOG at Cavenders or equivalent store. These can take a beating and a bit cheaper than DM.

The boots I have now: Paid $89 on sale

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=13iok6oet
those are great boots and surprisingly comfortable but i would not ware them to work in all day everyday. they are hot and don't breath.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Went to Academy the other day, and my husband got the steel toe Timberlands he said they are pretty comfortable, but Wolverine, Timberland and I think a few other brands do a 90 day trial period, if youre not satisfied bring them back. Just a thought.
Cool thanks fixing to leave now and go check some out.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
All look good, those you posted Xplicit, they look real comfortable but are they supportive like a boot, I have never really worn actual boots to work always low rise tennis shoes, basically always running shoes, so im wondering if a boot is better or worse for the long day standing? And as stated above about shoes being heavy, that is something that bothers me, when a shoe is heavy, so thats another reason I am asking for suggestions on boots, should have put that as a concern also.
nah they are very supportive. They tie up high like a boot still but are very comfortable like a shoe. I like em. Actually after I got them about 3-4 guys in the shop went to them as well and they all like them. I recommend them highly. Also I went from an actual steel toe boot to the Worx and they are 10 times more comfortable than the boot was!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Red Wings are the ****. They are built to last, but as mentioned they do cost a bit.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

mine costs 110$ but that was thru schlumbergers discount and the company paid for them
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I ended up with these after trying on multiple brands and types, these fit "my" feet the best out of all and were suprisingly lighter than alot of the steel toed boots. They are Dr. Martins but they are oil, petrol, alkaly?, acid and fat resistant. So far after 3 hours or so they are great. We'll see about the long haul, Xplicit, I will probably try those during the summer, winter is coming, well here now so these I think will be great.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...543-00824-1661

texasglock23: yeah these Dr. Martins are nice, I did try on the Mud Dogs and damn they were comfotable but I liked these a little more, the Mud Dogs were more cushy than the Dr's but there is something I like more about the Dr's.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

told you dr. martins , been wearing them for 5 yrs.....
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
told you dr. martins , been wearing them for 5 yrs.....
Yeah have heard they were comfortable but never had any, just didnt think they were slip resistant, I think they are badass, I wanna wear them even not at work.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i walk about 10+ miles a day at work I wear Doc's 8 hole steel toes. I started developing really bad lower back issues and my feet are sore to the touch. I can 100% say this is because of these shoes. But i've tried others and they don't hold up as well. I go through a lot of inserts but thicker socks helped.
Keep that in mind.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Teching In

Timberland Pro. They are light too. Doc Martins are heavy to me. I have tried a lot of steel toed boots and Timberland Pro is the ones I found to be the best.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigbadblack93z
i walk about 10+ miles a day at work I wear Doc's 8 hole steel toes. I started developing really bad lower back issues and my feet are sore to the touch. I can 100% say this is because of these shoes. But i've tried others and they don't hold up as well. I go through a lot of inserts but thicker socks helped.
Keep that in mind.
maybe its because you walk 10+ miles a day in steel toes? My feet would be sore with any shoes I think.

My brother in law works for a commercial flooring company. He goes to sites etc and walks around all day. He's also like 300 lbs, and has been wearing dr martins for I dont know how many years.
As someone mentioned earlier, I agree that they dont breathe very good though.

There are several good brands out there, just have to try some on and see if you like them of not.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah my husband has some Timberlands, and they are very light for steel toes, his lowtop Docs were so heavy, and non steel toe.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used to sell boots.

Lots of guys bought Dr. Martins for that type of work. We sold ours for $69 and $79 for steel toe.... I thought they were rather cheap. We quit carrying them. But I liked them alot.

Red Wings are good, I've owned many a pair. Have them custom fitted though, lots of Red Wing dealers will do that at no cost from what I've experienced. A boot will last 3 times as long if properly fitted, truth.

As for Concrete, Red Wing and Dr. Martin.

You might look into Ariat for normal use, they are built in Canada, using Canadian Standards for Foot Wear, a much higher standard than that of the U.S. or other foreign countries, making it an overall better boot. The forks inside are built from steel/high density polymers, never seen an Ariat come apart.

-Rick
Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Georgia Mud Dogs are a good cheap boot as well. The soles are Oil resistant, and the Steel Toe version seems pretty well built.

Rocky builds a decent boot as well.

Bang for the buck, probably Georgia Mud Dogs...

If you have a Baskin's Western Wear store near you, hit them up. We/They carry the same merchandise as Cavenders/The Devil but our/their markup isn't 300%.

EX: Cinch Shirt at Cavenders=$70 Baskins=$40... Same exact thing...

And if Baskins doesn't have it in stock, they can get it. Don't like them lie to you.

-Rick
Old 11-03-2008, 02:41 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oakley's are very very comfortable, but not as durable as Docs.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I could help.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Try to do multiple responsed here

I will get some inserts for them eventually im sure so thanks bigbadblack, but I also agree the 10 miles a day in any boot would probably kill me.

As far as the couple people that mentioned the Timberlands, I liked them alot and love timberland's but when I tried them on they did not support my foot as well as the Dr's did, thats why I got the Dr's out of all the Timberland, Wolverine, Redwing, Mud Dogs etc... they fit MY foot the best. The wolverines were like chick shoes, my toes were squished together in the tips

J-rod had no idea Oakley made shoes, if they are anything like their glasses they have to be overpriced , well im cheap in a way so overpriced for me can be a 20$ pair of shades

So anyway after day one of 10hrs on the shop floor I am pleased with the Dr's my feet were a bit tired by the last 30 minutes but up until then I felt better than when I wore my asics running shoes, and thats pretty good considering I also get warmth/water resistance for the winter and alot better slip resistance.

Thanks to all you guys for the input, definately helped.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had 2 pairs of Docs. They have been all over the world with me. They don't make half sizes, so I always bought half a size too big. My feet had lots of room, so they were pretty comfortable. I have high arches, so I need a show with alot of support. out of the box, a doc doesn't get it. So, I add a couple of arch support inserts. Each pair of docs has lasted me 5-7 years. I can still wear either of them, but they are starting to show their age.

Oakleys are overpriced, well sort of. When I bought my first pair they were $220 vs $110 for steel toed Docs. Doc soles are oil and slip resistant. Oakleys are and actual combat boot, and they have a very hard sole that get slippery in oil and water. The Oakley's have no break in, and they are what I have been wearing for a few years now. The problem areas I had in them have been resolved, and now they appear like they will last a few years for me. I think the last pair I bought was $160.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I have had 2 pairs of Docs. They have been all over the world with me. They don't make half sizes, so I always bought half a size too big. My feet had lots of room, so they were pretty comfortable. I have high arches, so I need a show with alot of support. out of the box, a doc doesn't get it. So, I add a couple of arch support inserts. Each pair of docs has lasted me 5-7 years. I can still wear either of them, but they are starting to show their age.

Oakleys are overpriced, well sort of. When I bought my first pair they were $220 vs $110 for steel toed Docs. Doc soles are oil and slip resistant. Oakleys are and actual combat boot, and they have a very hard sole that get slippery in oil and water. The Oakley's have no break in, and they are what I have been wearing for a few years now. The problem areas I had in them have been resolved, and now they appear like they will last a few years for me. I think the last pair I bought was $160.

Yeah 160-220 is too much for me, feel like I am just paying for a name at that point, thanks for the info, I think I am going to look for some insoles, just some small ones these support the shape of my foot just fine but dont have all that much cushion, well see how they play out over this coming week or two as they break in.

Quick Reply: Good workboots, for being on concrete floor all day