Rear end Problems (Noise)

Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end Problems (Noise)

2002 Camaro SS
10 bolt 3.42
Superior axles
21700 - Lakewood Traction Action Lift Bars (polyurethane bushings)
SLP sub-frame connectors
Moble 1 synthetic with additive

I know this is a good question to ask in the differential (rear end) section, but I just wanted to ask locally! This is the problem noise at all speeds. It sounds like wheel bearings. When I let off the throttle it gets alittle quieter. At the time I bought the car it was stock and had a rear wheel bearing problem at 45,000 miles.I pulled the axles and found they were both marked where the bearings ride. So I installed new axles and bearings. It was alot quieter but still alittle noise. Then I installed the Lakewood kit and sub-frames. It seemed to me alot louder! Its hard to tell if its getting louder or not, but very ignoring. I have changed the fuild several times to check for metal! (looks normal) I have been re-servicing the rear end with Moble 1 synthetic with additive. I am just looking for any ideas. Some told me the Lakewood kit transfers alot of noise in to the body thru the sub-frame connectors? I even tried Non synthetic grease with additive. (no-change)

Ideas?

Any body have a 10 bolt 3.42 for a 00-02 Camaro?

Thanks,
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/
Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might try differant LCA's. Try some adjustable ones like from BMR, UMI, or Spohn. My rearend roars but I just changed the gear ratio. Also you might want to try Royal Purple. I used Mobil 1, and I noticed a big noise differance, and it just feels alot better, IMO.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

That is odd for factory gears. Are your gears aftermarket? If so then they might need to be adjusted. Mine howls with my gears but I assume that they are set up too tight.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Teching In

The gears are stock! Maybe I will try Royal Purple.

Search this Thread