ASE Certified Mechanic Looking For New Opportunities

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ASE Certified Mechanic Looking For New Opportunities

Ive decided i want to go other ways from where i am and start at a dealership/private shop where i can move up, i would also love to stay in performance work and work at a shop.

I am 22 years old and graduated Universal Technical Institute in December 2006. I Currently Work for Bridgestone/Firestone ever since and have got lots of experience there leading to be the B tech I am now. I average 50-90 flag hours a week and have never flagged less than 45 hours on a full 5 day work week, and have also NEVER guaranteed.

I already own $20k in tools including my Box & Specialty Tools + the $4k i just spent on my Solus Pro w/ the European Software

Certifications
ASE Certification in Steering and Suspension(Scheduled to take 2 more in a few months)
EPA-609 Air Conditioning Certified
Texas State Inspector's License

I have experience with:
All Maintenance(Flushes/Tune up's/Differential Services)
Power Steering(Racks/Pumps/Lines)
Tires(I specialize in Large Diameter Wheel Sizes and Runflat's)
Alignments(Import/European/Domestic)
A/C(Compressor's/Lines/Evac& Recharges/Condensors/Heater Core's)
Alternator's
Transmissions(Clutch's/Filter Changes/Slave Cylinder's)
Fuel Pumps/Fuel Tanks/Fuel Lines/Relays
Brakes(Lines/Master Cylinder's/Drum&Rotor/Booster's/ABS Sensors/Bearings)
All Front Steering Components(Ends/Sway bar's-links/Ball Joints/Pitman Arms/Center links/Gearbox's)
Control Arms/Bushings
Struts/Strut Mounts/Shocks/Air Suspension
Axles/Seals
Aftermarket Stereo Systems

I just bought a Snap On Solus Pro to start getting into Diagnostics

I probably forgot some things but you get the idea i pretty much do EVERYTHING

I am very familiar with Chevrolet LT/LS Motors and own almost every specialty tool for both motors. I have done a full teardown and rebuild of my old LT1 car and pieced together the 383 myself. I also do Head/Cam/Engine installs at my house outside of work on any LSX Car/Truck/SUV including my TR230 i just put in 2 weeks ago

Looking for someone on here that can help me out! I am very determined and hardworking and am ready to learn anything!

Last edited by 2fast97Z; 01-21-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you willing to relocate ?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM sent
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt! Help!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

alot of dealerships have been pretty slow. I don't know if a dealership is a good choice.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
alot of dealerships have been pretty slow. I don't know if a dealership is a good choice.
Thats why I left a dealer where I was an A tech for 11 years.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah like i said im down for anything just looking for more money than im making
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Good luck bud.....i wouldn't go to a dealership anywhere soon...they're all slow from what I hear.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I have worked at independent shops, fleet shop, and a few dealerships. At 22 you probably have what 2 years full time? That is enough to get your foot in the door, but right now is probably a bad time to jump ship in search of more money. If the economy turns around quickly, at that age I would tend to look into a dealership myself.

I'm not sure if you are paid by flag time or not now, but at a dealership it's harder to flag hours, although usually the pay rate makes up for it. If you get offered a job somewhere ask to see sample weekly flag sheets from the service manager to get an idea of what you can average. It's a different type of work, but usually if you know what you are doing you can probably be 100-125% efficient (40-50 hours pay per 40 hours work).

Finish the ASE, it's not required, nor worth a lot, but like a degree; it will get you further quicker. I need to renew mine.

I will tell you one thing, at the larger dealerships mainly: the more area's of work you work in, the harder your job will be to flag hours, unless it's dead slow. The 'smarter' you are means you get the hardest cars to diagnose, as the 'dumber' techs get ALL the quick and easy jobs that pay 1.5 hours for 15 minutes of work since they don't have to think. I don't know if that makes sense, but it happens quite often.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know Andy and he has helped me with a build or two around my place and is always working it seems like. He's a great guy and from what i can a hard worker and would be a compliment to any shop that would take him in.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

I am not sure what your expectations are, but if you go to an independent you need to make more money than where you are working now because the majority of independent or smaller shops especially performance do not have many benefits if any.

PM me so I can fgure out what you are looing for. Here is a suggestion and most of the time they can help. If you have good driving record and employment record go back to UTI ask for Stacia Norman the Director of Employment and have them do a job search and help you. They may have something for you. You might ask how I would know. I have worked for UTI for almost 26 years. I can try and help you.... PM me and lets see what we can do.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you looking for more money, then a dealership is not your answer. They would more then likely start you off changing oil or as a helper.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

We have slowed down just a bit in the last 3 weeks or so. Not by much though. If you want more money high line cars are where its at. The work isnt usually influenced by the economy. Also, if you have a decent job, right not isnt the time to go looking for a new higher paying job.

If you looking for more money, then a dealership is not your answer. They would more then likely start you off changing oil or as a helper.
Agreed, if you dont have any specific experience then a dealership isnt the best way to go. They will have to start you out as a helper and move you up. You dont start at the top. I came in with Bmw specific training then after 7 years am pretty much at the top of the game. Of course now I am ready to do something else, lol.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I graduated from UTI 12 years ago worked for Chrysler. I started off doing heavy and light line, then ended up doing driveability. ASE master certified, Chrysler Gold. I have friends that work for independent shops and they made more money than I did do to the bullshit flag hours you get paid on warranty repairs. Needless to say I gave up that industry and got into inspections ( shear wave UT tech now) I went from making 55 to 60k a year to over a 100k and work only half as hard and have a company truck. I do miss the auto industry at times but would never go back.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rusty2198
I graduated from UTI 12 years ago worked for Chrysler. I started off doing heavy and light line, then ended up doing driveability. ASE master certified, Chrysler Gold. I have friends that work for independent shops and they made more money than I did do to the bullshit flag hours you get paid on warranty repairs. Needless to say I gave up that industry and got into inspections ( shear wave UT tech now) I went from making 55 to 60k a year to over a 100k and work only half as hard and have a company truck. I do miss the auto industry at times but would never go back.
NDE hand huh. I was a shearwave tech too. Went to The Ocean Corp.

Let all that go and now sit behind a desk telling the inspectors what to do
Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I will tell you one thing, at the larger dealerships mainly: the more area's of work you work in, the harder your job will be to flag hours, unless it's dead slow. The 'smarter' you are means you get the hardest cars to diagnose, as the 'dumber' techs get ALL the quick and easy jobs that pay 1.5 hours for 15 minutes of work since they don't have to think. I don't know if that makes sense, but it happens quite often.
Joseph is right on the money with this the smarter you are the less hours you make. It happened to me I always got everyone elses nightmares they would butcher the car and send it my way not only would I have to diagnose the original problem but would have to fix what they F'ed up. Also with the economic situation you are better off where you are and when things get better and you have more experience open you a shop (always been a dream of mine) good luck
Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
NDE hand huh. I was a shearwave tech too. Went to The Ocean Corp.

Let all that go and now sit behind a desk telling the inspectors what to do
are you a operations manager now insaneGTO? Less work but more of a headache lol thats what my op manager tells me. What company do you work for?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

I graduated the GM ASEP program in 2000 from Brookhaven college. Worked at the dealer for another 3 months, and said to hell with it. You can make money at the dealer, but its not as easy as they (schools, educational programs) make it sound. You have to bust your *** to make 50-60k per year, and put in long hours. Warranty work doesnt pay worth a damn. We had 2 techs who actually made good money (Electrical/trim guy and the tranny guy). I quit because they were trying to make me change oil and do all the bitch work. I had 5 ASEs, lots of GM certs, and an Associates degree in Auto Technology, which was more credentials than 90% of the other techs. Anyway, I ended up starting my own shop in 2003 and am still going strong.
Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone into a different field, like Mechanical engineering.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Do slowing sales of new vehicles affect the job market for mechanics?

All else being equal, I'd think that less new cars = more older cars = more stuff to fix.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
. You have to bust your *** to make 50-60k per year, and put in long hours. Warranty work doesnt pay worth a damn. We had 2 techs who actually made good money (Electrical/trim guy and the tranny guy). I quit because they were trying to make me change oil and do all the bitch work. I had 5 ASEs, lots of GM certs, and an Associates degree in Auto Technology, which was more credentials than 90% of the other techs.
High line cars are where the money is at. I went to Uti, did Bmw Step and in my first year made 60k. That was in 02. I have gone up considerably since then. I make as more than my wife who has a masters of accounting. Now I dont work near as hard as I used to either. Out of a 9 hour day I might actually work 2-3, lol.
Originally Posted by Sooner Todd
Do slowing sales of new vehicles affect the job market for mechanics?

All else being equal, I'd think that less new cars = more older cars = more stuff to fix.
Yes and no. Older cars need fixing, but if people dont have much money they done get it fixed unless its an emergency.