Job security?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Job security?

How's it looking for everybody else?

I work as a mechanic for Halliburton. So far we seem to be pretty secure here, but it is not looking good for the rest of the country, so we have been told. They have tried to cut back our overtime but we are so slammed we haven't noticed it. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it stays busy.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

job security. haha. that word doesnt exist in any businesses vocabulary anymore. been thru it twice in the last year and may go thru it once more. seeing as the company im at is about to cut 1500 jobs. crossing fingers but things arent looking good for the moment.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

well I found out they are doing 80% of our application engineers overseas in india.
we will be keeping 20% here in house...

I am more so systeem engineer, but also support some applications...
So I am not worried because right off bat for job title I have nothing to do with the applications... But who knows what they will do after this..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

The only job security is created by:
1. Good technical (engineering, IT, etc) skills + being reliable
2. Great sales track record + bein reliable
3. Creating your own job by owning your own business

These are the only ways I have consistently seen over the last 15 years to make someone almost 100% secure. Not wealthy always, but almost always secure. This also requires financial prudence and discipline to work.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmilz28
The only job security is created by:
1. Good technical (engineering, IT, etc) skills + being reliable
2. Great sales track record + bein reliable
3. Creating your own job by owning your own business

These are the only ways I have consistently seen over the last 15 years to make someone almost 100% secure. Not wealthy always, but almost always secure. This also requires financial prudence and discipline to work.

I concur...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, being good at what you do, willing to do whatever it takes whenever needed no matter what time of day or day of week, making sacrifices that are in the best interest of the company, and being a team player are the best ingredients for ensuring you can survive a layoff or a merger. Now if a company goes out of business, all bets are off. And in this economy, it's happening all over the place. And when it does, you're competing with thousands of others who have all of these traits.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

so basically when you get laid off..... and have all the traits everyone else has..
What will make you stand out from that point will be degree, and longevity with companies, well and also experience..
Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fortunately best buy is basically the last major electronics store, + im in geeksquad and regardless of the economy peoples computers are still going to break. so i feel pretty good, but im still a little worried.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Job security=Stop posting BS on LS1tech during work.

Guilty.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

speedy i work hal also at the NB campus...so far so good but i don't think it will last long,they have already cut OT and the other small non nessescary perks....i read BH is laying off 1500 but i'm not sure if it's local or world wide.it seems like the business plan changes like the wind but for now it is flat or will stay the same as last year...we will see about that, good luck to ya and i hope you make it.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, as long as i am in law enforcement...i am sure i will be ok...people just cannot stop breaking the law.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in a safe boat so far, I work for a Beer Distributing company (Same one Zac works for just different location) they have been watching peoples hours like a friggin hawk and thats about it, Hell today I was in mid shift out on a delivery route, Boss shows up, tells me I have too many hours already for the week and takes me back to the warehouse to go home..Poor driver, he got left out there with a newbie....other than that, nothing I'm worried about yet, I'll start to worry when they start bringing people into the conferance room and closing the blinds...
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

If you want job security just work for the government with the democrats in charge. That is about as secure as it gets.

I'm not too worried about my job at the moment. We'll see how things look in a few months though.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

x2
Originally Posted by LS1x2
If you want job security just work for the government with the democrats in charge. That is about as secure as it gets.
truth be told!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

I work at Halliburton also, but in Coiled Tubing/Well Intervention. I still get 80hrs a week. They are watching our time also but if they need anyone for Frac/Acid or Cement. I go out on those jobs too. And Ive seen people get down sized from the Military so guess that wasnt so secure. Hell its only Tuesday and I got 32hrs already.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Ginger Hater

I was worried about my job this morning, but I talked with both managers at my company and they said I will be the last person to get hours cut....so its a relief.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tillery
I work at Halliburton also, but in Coiled Tubing/Well Intervention. I still get 80hrs a week. They are watching our time also but if they need anyone for Frac/Acid or Cement. I go out on those jobs too. And Ive seen people get down sized from the Military so guess that wasnt so secure. Hell its only Tuesday and I got 32hrs already.
They keep telling us that West Texas has slowed way down. Not true?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

i work for OXY in Snyder, theve cut spending quite a bit but we are still staying REALLY busy...... no worries here but alot of friends working for Key,Basic,Nabors, etc. have been getting let go.....as far as my end tho, west tx hasnt slowed down much....
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

aircraft mechanic in wichita.
Never know whith this industry, and especially this company. We JUST got back to working a full 40 hour week after 3-4 months of tuesday-thursday work.
I'm just glad to have an income, but with the rumors that spread thru this place like junior high, it's tough to really know.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Yea the drilling and pulling units. Denver city Nabors yard laid off alot and Key stacked alot of units too. As well as Patterson/UTI. I do alot of work for KinderMorgan/SacRoc in Snyder and Oxy all over the PanHandle in In a 15K CT unit, and a 38K Southeast NM and all over west texas. We have alot of competetion(CUDD,BobCat,IPS,BJ,) but we spread the work around. Companys that rely on new competions get hit with layoffs. But Pipelines and most service companys that maintain wells slow down for a little bit. We were told up to 6 months till the Oil companys figure the budget and the energy bill. There is still plenty of work, just the higher ups like the profits of 70 dollar a barrel oil.

Search this Thread