Those who live/lived in apartments...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those who live/lived in apartments...

Simple questions, were you able to negotiate the cost per month of the apartment? If so how much off, and what was the asking price? How much for move in fees generally? What times of the year did you see the most aggressive(cheapest) specials/negotiating done? Also for the students, how much off, if any, was your student discount and what was required?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The biggest thing when trying to negotiate with apartments is always thinking about another apartment you want more. Go in, let them know you are a student and where, ask about rents/fees, tell them you'll think about it and do the same thing elsewhere.

Collect the information and negotiate with that. Crime areas and security are pretty big negotiating tools. Also, rents are coming down but not always negotiable. Ask for something like free rent for a month or two, or bills paid. Your profile says Houston and we are just starting to hurt. You might be able to buy a foreclosed home for the same as rent payments.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'd had a couple people suggest buying a foreclosed home, but I dont have a down payment or substantial credit history. Plus other things like not having a ton of stuff to fill an entire house. Its something I'll look into when I'm closer to making a move, but I was just curious about my above questions.

Anyone in real estate think that the Houston market is just now really starting to feel the effects of the economy? Obviously its been hit, but Im asking about in comparison to the rest of the nation.