Selling a Car Privately, What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Selling a Car Privately, What to do???

This is my first time to sell a car privately. What am I required to do. I have the title in hand. Someone please Help! The buyer wants to pay cash, do I need to make sure the cash clears through the bank? What about the title, do I need to sign it and the buyer sign it also? Do I need a bill of sale. Sorry for the dumb questions I just don't want to lose somehow and something come back to me. Thanks Trevor
Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Well if the buyer is bringing cash.. you will not have to worry about it clearing any banks.. since it will be in your hands... unless you think its fake money.

as far as the bill of sale.... I believe you will need one and yes both of you will be signing the title...
it has the spot on the title to sign over everything....
Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Go here: http://www.txdot.gov/txdot_library/f...sted_forms.htm

Click on the instruction and download the PDF form of VTR-130-U.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shake
Go here: http://www.txdot.gov/txdot_library/f...sted_forms.htm

Click on the instruction and download the PDF form of VTR-130-U.
+1

When I bought my car, I paid in cash. We met at his bank, and had a banker help us with the paperwork.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Kill him and keep the cash
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F1_SS
Kill him and keep the cash
This can also assure yourself that you will likely get free room and board for the rest of your life (and enough money to hold you over until then)
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7420NW7TH
This can also assure yourself that you will likely get free room and board for the rest of your life (and enough money to hold you over until then)
LOL...
Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your worried about the money get you a little DRI Marker (counterfeit detector pen) $2-$3 if the bills pass that then your ok because just about anybody will take them from you..lol

Sign the aforementioned title application form 1-30U, a bill of sale for you and the buyer.. chances are he wants you to leave it blank so that he does not have to pay all the taxes. (That is up to you, whether you leave it blank) the title can be signed in the front and needs to be signed on the back in block "assignment of title" on the small line that reads "Signature of Seller/Agent"

Since you are not a dealer and can't issue a new E-tag or temporary tag, You can keep your plate only if you guys meet at the Tax office and the buyer applies for another or you sell your vehicle to a dealership.

After the deal is final, make sure you flll out the following form to cover yourself. Alot of cash buyers will not register the vehicle in time or will flat out not register it period. Which means red light and ez tag violations can come back to you not to mention any criminal activity.. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml

Hope this helps-Gilbert
Old 02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the buyer wants to talk you down on price here is a good negotiating tool.

if he buys teh car he will have to pay taxes on it. if you give it to him as a gift then its only a $10 tax. you can figure how much tax he will have to pay on the car and you can offer to go the tax route if he pays askign price or whatever price you determine.

this way insted of paying lets say 500 in taxes he will only pay 10 in taxes and 300 to you (win/win for both of you)

you give him a gift (car) and he gives you a gift ($$)