How to find dealer cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to find dealer cost

Hey all,

I'm probably going to buy a new truck here in the next couple of weeks, and I need to know how to find the dealer cost of a vehicle. I haven't had any luck with sites online, and I'm sure if I ask at a dealer, they'll give me some bullshit "invoice" that doesn't display the holdback and other dealer incentives.

Anyone have some experience with this?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

well if its a GM product and not my dealership I can help u, but u gotta let them make some money.....no wonder why our economy is in the tank. I can also make sure ur getting all the rebates.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Launching!

yup...unless you're really cool with the salesperson and they're not gonna make any money on it...they'll tell the the truth. Otherwise they're gonna give you the bs version. Either way, the only way you pay dealer cost + comission of salesperson, is if you work there or someone you know works there.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least $10,000 less than what the sticker price is. The money made on a car gets split up many different ways. The make ready dept, the salesman, the sales manager, then gm has to get their money. If you saw what the cost of a new car is you would get real mad.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What kind of vehicle are you looking to buy?

"Invoice", which is easily found online, is not a bad price to pay for a new vehicle since the dealer usually pays pretty close to that number. Some dealers who move a ton of a certain type of vehicle probably do get better deals from the automaker, but most of them pay close to "invoice".
I paid $5k under invoice for my last truck (2006 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi)...but I bought it from one of the highest selling Dodge 1500 dealers in the nation, so I'm sure they did not pay "invoice" for the truck.

Dealers make their money in used car sales and in the service department. Not all that much is made in new car sales.

Last edited by -Ross-; 03-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

we have been selling most vehicles at or below invoice, of course we hold the holdback but damn how do people expect a dealership to stay open if were giving the cars away at cost? What GM can get there money but the dealer has to borrow money from the banks so the employees can get paid? Sorry I see penny pinchers everyday and they act like sales people are making $1000 commisions on a invoice sold Cobalt.....people are just stupid
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Launching!

just pay what you think the vehicle is worth, there is no need to know what the dealership payed for it, thats none of your business. This is how every sales business work, they raise the price so they can stay in business.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
11Second Club

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not looking to pay ONLY the dealer cost. Of course, they have to make money on it. I just want to be armed with all the information that I can. I'm probably going to buy an '09 Dodge Ram 1500.

If I'm able to find that information, I'll offer the dealership their cost plus a fair percentage profit. If they are willing to take it, they'll make some money. If not, then they're out nothing. I don't see why you guys feel it's wrong for me to try to get the best deal I can while it's okay for them to squeeze me and my family for every penny they can. I hope that's not how you guys conduct your business... doesn't seem prudent.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gauge
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not looking to pay ONLY the dealer cost. Of course, they have to make money on it. I just want to be armed with all the information that I can. I'm probably going to buy an '09 Dodge Ram 1500.

If I'm able to find that information, I'll offer the dealership their cost plus a fair percentage profit. If they are willing to take it, they'll make some money. If not, then they're out nothing. I don't see why you guys feel it's wrong for me to try to get the best deal I can while it's okay for them to squeeze me and my family for every penny they can. I hope that's not how you guys conduct your business... doesn't seem prudent.
Its not wrong to want a good deal. Its wrong to think that you can get a new car for a little bit more than actual cost. Look at it this way. A dealer gets a deal because they buy mass quanities of vehicles. They buy in bulk. Its ok to be educated on buying a new vehicle, but dont be disappointed on when they wont give it to you $500 over cost. If a new dodge truck is $31,000. The best deal you will ever get on that truck is $25,000 to $27,000 with the dealer still making at least 8-10 grand on total on the deal. They already know what the least they can sell a new truck for and thats the lowest they will go.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauge

You are in luck. Spring Dodge (just north of Houston) is offering 45% off all 2009 Crew Cab 1500's. I'm sure a dealer in the DFW area could match that.

A $40k truck would be $22k+TT&L. Those are good trucks, too.

I bought my 06 I mentioned earlier at Spring Dodge. Sticker was $37k and I drove out for $28,000.77.

Last edited by -Ross-; 03-12-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

isnt dodge doing employee price plus rebates? Really shouldnt need to pay invoice cause invoice is more then employee cost. Seems like your making it harder then it really is then.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Its not wrong to want a good deal. Its wrong to think that you can get a new car for a little bit more than actual cost. Look at it this way. A dealer gets a deal because they buy mass quanities of vehicles. They buy in bulk. Its ok to be educated on buying a new vehicle, but dont be disappointed on when they wont give it to you $500 over cost. If a new dodge truck is $31,000. The best deal you will ever get on that truck is $25,000 to $27,000 with the dealer still making at least 8-10 grand on total on the deal. They already know what the least they can sell a new truck for and thats the lowest they will go.
Please let me know what dealer is making 8-10 grand on a new truck or car so I can go work for them and quit my job at Mercedes.....
Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fasttransamlt1
Please let me know what dealer is making 8-10 grand on a new truck or car so I can go work for them and quit my job at Mercedes.....
All of them. It is spread out over many people. The salesman, the sales manager, the make ready guys, the finance dept, etc. How much do you think a dealer makes on a car?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

hahahah true dat, people have really no idea about the car business. Most of our newcar salesmen make $100 mini's cause of the market and the wealth of information out there. I work at a chevy dealer here in Ft Worth and people will shop us for weeks just to save $100 on a new vehicle purchase...hell they just spent that on gas driving from one dealer to the next
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
All of them. It is spread out over many people. The salesman, the sales manager, the make ready guys, the finance dept, etc. How much do you think a dealer makes on a car?
I know how much a dealer makes on each car..It is no where near that, they make money on the volume of cars they sell. I am the Finance Director and we sell 100k cars and don't make 10 grand on them..... The dealer makes around 1k to 3k on each car deal... Just the rent on a store is 100k a month.. You dont work for free why should we?????
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Dealer pays invoice price for the vehicle from the Manufact
Salemen sell it for at or below invoice cause of rebates or etc...
Finance may mark it up a point or 2
in the end the dealer is lucky sometime to maybe make $2000 with everything, maybe a hair more or less.
I book the deals out everyday so I know what the true cost and true gross is on this.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I know how much a dealer makes on each car..It is no where near that, they make money on the volume of cars they sell. I am the Finance Director and we sell 100k cars and don't make 10 grand on them..... The dealer makes around 1k to 3k on each car deal... Just the rent on a store is 100k a month.. You dont work for free why should we?????
preach on brother
Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
preach on brother
That **** drives me crazy.........
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

How come people happily pay the same price for self service at Walmart? Shouldn't it be cheaper if the patron is not using the checkout line with an employee?

Random thought of the day since other people posting in this thread are obviously retarded.

If a car salesman doesn't make SOME profit on a vehicle, it would be impossible for ALL the employees to feed their families. They don't get paid to vulture everyone.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_S
How come people happily pay the same price for self service at Walmart? Shouldn't it be cheaper if the patron is not using the checkout line with an employee?

Random thought of the day since other people posting in this thread are obviously retarded.

If a car salesman doesn't make SOME profit on a vehicle, it would be impossible for ALL the employees to feed their families. They don't get paid to vulture everyone.
Preach on brother . Just for the record, I work in the business.