Getting my car back up & have some Suspension & Converter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting my car back up & have some Suspension & Converter question

For awhile I was getting in to the whole winning races thing. But I really like my car & want it to handle & be fun & drive everyday. Now for my questions & any input good or bad would be appreciated.

First- My exhaust keeps scraping the ground. Not bad. But over BUMBS I feel it or down the gravel driveway it hits real hard. I have 3 1/2 inch X-Pipe with KOOKS 1 7/8 Headers. Im not sure of the springs. But they are lowering springs. I like the dropped look of my car on 17s.

Any ideas to fix it! The only one that comes to mind is trying to raise the motor a inch if that is safe!

My next question is I have a forged 348, Wanting to spray a 125 shot at the most. I have a Dry Kit that has been on the car for years & was only sprayed on the Dyno. But I figure my car on 17s to be good for consistant 7.20 - 7.1s & 7.0s on a good cold day.

My goal is to hit 6.60s on the spray with a street setup. Short on 17s & DR, What kit would give me the best et & the safest. I know nothing about Nitrous & want to learn.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know **** about nitrous, but I can offer some suggestions about the exhaust. My car has Pacesetter headers, a TSP catted Y-pipe, and a Magnaflow catback. The only part that has EVER scraped was the Y-pipe, and it go beat up pretty good for a while, until a few things happened.

First, I took the car to an exhaust shop and had them work with the rear of the catback, where it goes into the over-the-axle bend. By driving that end in tighter, it raised the whole Y-pipe and I-pipe, tucking it closer to the floorpan. It brought it in so tight that the Y-pipe rattled under the driver's side floor pan under acceleration. Some thick fireproof cloth was folded and wedged tight in there, and that stopped the banging.

Second, I learned where I could and could not drive with an aftermarket exhaust and lowering springs (Hotchkis, in my case).

Third, the Y-pipe (and the driver's side cat) naturally flattened out after a few good bumps. I don't have any leaks, and the cat is still functioning, but it has just been "clearanced" naturally.

Had I to do it over again, I would probably take it to a good exhaust shop and have them fab me a custom Y-pipe with oval tubing, or one that tucked up really tight to the floorpan.

But, since I'm selling the car, I'll let the new owner decide what he/she wants to do with that.

-Mike