Need alternator advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need alternator advice

My Camaro died at H.E.B. last night. I first noticed my "check gages" light lit as I was driving on Westheimer. The only gage that made sense for the warning was my battery-power gage which had the needle slowly drop to the left. Other warning lights started flashing before the car finaly came to a stop in the H.E.B. parking lot. I sat there trying to crank it up every 5 minutes but all I would get is the clicking noise. I got the car towed back home. So the question is, should I replace the alternator with a replacement from Auto-Zone or can I find a better one somewhere else that will support a 400HP car.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You should get your alternator tested first. It might be good. It might be your fusible link. I changed out three alternators until I finally found out it was the fusible link on the alternator wire. Test it first.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I am not a fan of the auto zone replacements. I had one on my car back in HS and I got it replaced just about every month. I kept the tools for the job in my trunk and the receipt in the glove box. If I weren't so broke at the time I would have just gone and bought a better one. I have had decent luck with Oreilley, but I am not sure they are nec much better. You might do good to call XL parts and see what they want for a Delco.

The main thing I look for is lifetime warranty. It's no guarantee, but when I was going through the mess in HS with autozone alternators, I talked to a guy at an old school alternator / starter place. He told me the lifetime warranty ones are made with much better quality parts. He said many of the 1 year warranty only alternators use plastic in many places where it should not be. The plastic melts and the alternator dies. Alternators won't last forever regardless of brand, but I would buy a lifetime warranty wherever you go.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Good stuff, I'll look into that. Hopefully changing the alternator in the LS1 isn't so hard.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Very simple to change out. I also second ^ the above statement. Get one with the lifetime warranty. I went to a place called strouds here in Fort Worth and picked up a delco. I haven't had problems since. But then again It was my fusible link. Don't forget to get your alternator tested first. Oh and get it tested and two different places. Some will tell you it's good when it's bad. So if you check it twice and they both tell you the same then you know your answer. Good luck
Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Man if I were you I would stay away from Auto Zone alternators!!! I've had to replace mine three times because of failure, and once because they gave me a bad one. What happened each time, is when getting on the freeway, I just punch the **** outta my car, then the next thing I know the check gauges light comes on. This has happened three times! and think of how much money I would be out of for labor, if I couldn't change it myself. My buddy says that the parts they rebuild them with can't handle the torque of the engine so they fail under pressure, and I only have a stock motor with a couple of bolt ons, so I know you're asking for problems with 400 horses. Yeah, I got a lifetime warranty, but it's a pain in the ***, and inconvenience having to jack up the car because the alternator blows. I wish I would've got an oem, and still may, but end up losing the money already spent at the zone...
Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Oh and get it tested and two different places. Some will tell you it's good when it's bad. So if you check it twice and they both tell you the same then you know your answer.
X2 I always make them test it 2 or 3 times if they tell me it is good. I have had the alternator hold up for their short test, but when they run it the 2nd or 3rd time it fails.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

So far it's a pain in the *** cause I don't have a lift to get to the alternator below. I just put the car on jacks and started playing with the tension release and had no luck getting the belt lose. I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully the mounting brackets aren't so bad on the alternator.
I had a 1997 V6 Camaro and changing the alternator was simple, this one is gonna take some patience.