Anyone?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am. You have a question?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Well... I'm really considering being one. Right now I am in banking. I have my degree and have worked at my bank for 2 years. I am really unsatisfied... DPS has been in the back of my mind for about 6 years. One of my best friends is in Van Horn and my cousin is in Tulia, and they love being troopers. The next academy is in September... When my wife is due to have our baby. I guess I just need some advice more than anything. My wife is scared that I would die, and i told her not to think of it like that... I told her even at the bank there is a chance that some bank robber would come in and shoot me...

If i did take it, it would mean more money/year, more fulfilling, etc.

Do you enjoy it? How long have you been a trooper? Any advice?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i too have thought about becoming a trooper
Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

+1 for these questions I was planning on joining after I graduate next year. Also are the DPS recruiters on the level or are they as full of **** as the military recruiters?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Well, I really do like my job. I have been a State Trooper for 4 years. I wanted to be a Trooper since I was 8. A Trooper taught bicycle safety in my 2nd grade class and I was hooked. It definitely helps that you already know people in the Department that can really give you information. My greatest suggestion for anyone that wants to be a Trooper, GO ride with one. That is the easiest way to find out if this job is for you or not. If I could change anything prior to starting this career it would be, learn everything about the job before submitting an application.

The next Academy is in September and you will need to get your application in by the end of May I believe, but don't quote me on that. I'll find out for sure. Here is what I recommend step by step for anyone wanting to be a Trooper. Edited: App in by July 10 for in-state and July 3 for out of state.

1st - Meet your local area Sergeant. Call your DPS Office, ask for him and schedule a face-to-face meeting. He is the man in charge of all the Trooper's in your area. He may refer you to a Recruiter.
2nd - Schedule Ride Alongs. The Sgt./Recruiter will set you up with local Troopers so that you can go ride a shift with them. You sit in the front seat and ask questions. You get a front row seat to our job. Ride at least one day shift and one night shift.
3rd - Get to know your local Trooper's. These guys will be doing your background investigation, if you get that far.
4th - Sumbit your application and BE PATIENT. This process really takes a while. It took me 4 months to get through the process and it is longer now.

Now the application process. After submitting your application, you will have to come in for written tests. A Trooper is then assigned to complete a background investigation on you. They WILL talk to everyone. I usually interview 20-25 people in any one person's background. After the background, you will have to appear before an oral board of a 1-Lt. or Capt., 2-Sgt.'s, and 2-Troopers, all at the same time. If you pass that, you will be extended a conditional job offer and will have to go to Austin. In Austin, you will stay for 3-4 days at the academy, passing a PT Test, Psych Exam, Polygraph Exam, talk to a Psychologist and take multiple written tests.

DPS does now offer a paid intern program while you are wiating to attend the academy that can be up to 3 months long, but it is not required. It is there to help those that are needing the money while transitioning to a new job.

You have to live in Austin and stay at the Academy during the 26 week school. You are there Sunday at 6PM till Friday at 5PM and stay in a barracks setting. You are allowed to leave on weekends as long as you are performing up to standard. Now seriously understand that after graduation you might get a town like Ft. Hancock, Sierra Blanca, or Laredo. But they are trying to put people back in areas that they want to be, but it doesn't always work that way.

The pay is not great but it is good. Legislature is working on another raise for us right now that would take effect in September. Go to the DPS website and you can see the pay scale. The job is for some, but not all. I am not going to BS you. Most of our Recruiters are outstanding, can't speak for all though. Recruiters do not make a commission, so I think they may be a little more tolerable than military recruiters. They will not BS you either.

Your spouse will worry and will always worry, but he/she will get used to it. I asked my family and wife if they would rather have me protecting them or someone they do not know and they understand my point.

It is a very fullfiling career, but it has bad days too. Remember not everyone is happy to be pulled over. But helping someone always makes it worthwhile. Changing the flat for the little old lady, rescuing someone from a crash scene, things like that. No 2 days are ever the same and we will always have job security, even during economic hardtimes.

I hope I have answered some or all of your questions. If you have anymore, please feel free to ask.

Travis

Last edited by WstTexas; 05-01-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Hey Travis im in the military right now I have a ts security cl. with a polygraph so i have gone through a VERY extensive Background investigation would this help me out getting in to the academy easier?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Really appreciate all the info Travis, very helpful. So I guess it would be wise to start this whole process early in the next spring semester or even towards the end of this semester so as not to have to wait forever before making the transition?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quik02z
Hey Travis im in the military right now I have a ts security cl. with a polygraph so i have gone through a VERY extensive Background investigation would this help me out getting in to the academy easier?
Getting into the academy easier, maybe. It would make it much easier to pass the background & polygraph. But it definitely would be easier on you mentally, than other applicants. Having that kind of background done on you once before, you would know what to expect and wouldn't have to worry about skeletons falling from the top of the closet.

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Really appreciate all the info Travis, very helpful. So I guess it would be wise to start this whole process early in the next spring semester or even towards the end of this semester so as not to have to wait forever before making the transition?
No problem, anytime. Start the process in your last semester with an expected graduation/completion date. Have your School counselor or administrator type a letter, stating your anticipated completion date and include that in your application. Maybe during your break between school and the training academy, you could enter the paid intern program. I think it pays about $2000 per month and its Monday-Friday 8A-5P.

Here is a link to the online application so you guys can review it and know what to expect. You can fill out the online app when you are ready.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainin...aineelinks.htm

On the left side of the page, you can find the application, salary and other important info. Good luck and keep the questions coming!!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

The polygraph and the background check makes me nervous... Not because I have anything to hide... But because I guess I've never been in trouble with the law, so I've never had either of those ever performed on me, and don't really know what to expect.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Don't sweat it. Honestly we would rather have someone that has done wrong, admits it and takes responsibility than someone who tries to hide any little thing. The polygraph examiners are top notch and know the difference between nervousness and attempted lying. Admit everything you can think of, because if you don't they will more than likely find out. Most of us have done wrong in the past, including myself. I admitted to everything and got in on my first try.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

My most important question; how many meows have you gotten out in a traffic stop?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

have you done any "calls for service" in the 4 years that you've been patrolling !?!/

the Troopers around the houston area are pretty much just traffic dogs, they don't get down to the nitty gritty.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
My most important question; how many meows have you gotten out in a traffic stop?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Great to see this info, i have nearly 5 years as a correctional officer with the state and i am about to apply for DPS, 3 years with what i do is supposed to substitute for not having college. I am scared of being turned down though, but i am about tired of the TDCJ BS.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Great to see this info, i have nearly 5 years as a correctional officer with the state and i am about to apply for DPS, 3 years with what i do is supposed to substitute for not having college. I am scared of being turned down though, but i am about tired of the TDCJ BS.
Absolutely, get in ASAP. Legislature is considering waiving the Correctional Officer/Jailer substitute. It has been debated this session and we could see it very soon, but I have not heard the latest. If this passes then your only options are college / Peace Officer, or Military. They are also contemplating raising the standards to 4 years required, instead of the current 3.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Three and then I couldn't contain myself and had to walk away from the window. My old partner was inside of the patrol listening on the video because he knew he would be laughing. It was the only time I have tried it and it was about 2 years ago.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by imlooking
have you done any "calls for service" in the 4 years that you've been patrolling !?!/

the Troopers around the houston area are pretty much just traffic dogs, they don't get down to the nitty gritty.
Calls for Service is kind of broad, what are you exactly referring to? Here in West Texas we assist alot of Sheriff's Office's because they only have 2 or 3 Deputies out, so we will back them up on Disturbances, Fights and things of that nature. When they are overwhelmed we will take check alarm calls and check area calls on a routine basis. It really just depends on your area.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got pulled over by a Trooper this weekend on 10 and got a warning for my plate. Cool guys too. If I was not so wrapped up in my job now I think I would have chose something like this. My job is wayyyyyyy to borning.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Calls for Service is kind of broad, what are you exactly referring to? Here in West Texas we assist alot of Sheriff's Office's because they only have 2 or 3 Deputies out, so we will back them up on Disturbances, Fights and things of that nature. When they are overwhelmed we will take check alarm calls and check area calls on a routine basis. It really just depends on your area.
yeah, that's what i meant. like disturbances, burglaries, alarm calls, ambulance calls and stuff like that.

here in the Houston area we are so plentiful in "patrolmen" that the 98% of the time the Troopers stay on traffic.

very rarely does a trooper get called into a disturbance.

Quick Reply: Anyone a State Trooper?