bank trouble. need info...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bank trouble. need info...

i went to the atm earlier today and the lady who was infront of me left her 400 bucks there and reciept. i grapped both with every intention of giving her money back b/c i saw that she pulled up and went inside. well i pull my money out and drive up front and shes gone. i drove around the bank and couldnt find her so i said screw it her loss. twenty minutes later im kicking myself in the *** b/c the bank will now i was the next person to pull money out so i was there when the money was still there. now my question is can the bank charge me for the money the lady left since i found it still in the atm cash despenser?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

dude, do the right thing, take it in to the bank with the reciept and tell them what happened, wouldnt you want someone to do the same for you? remember, karma is a bitch
Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly man, since she left it in there, its her loss. They cant charge you just because you were next in line. If you did return it, they could deposit back into the persons account. Its just about how you feel about it, 400 bucks is alot of money, atleast to me it is. And if she did return looking for it, she would have to wait along time and the bank would have to do alot of work to pull ATM records and find out who was next then check cameras to see if you took it blah blah < not going to happen. Do what is going to let you sleep at night.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Charlay
Honestly man, since she left it in there, its her loss. They cant charge you just because you were next in line. If you did return it, they could deposit back into the persons account. Its just about how you feel about it, 400 bucks is alot of money, atleast to me it is. And if she did return looking for it, she would have to wait along time and the bank would have to do alot of work to pull ATM records and find out who was next then check cameras to see if you took it blah blah < not going to happen. Do what is going to let you sleep at night.
yeah, its her mistake and all, but still. if the OP was one of my friends telling me that story, i would be dragging them up to the bank myself. im sorry, but whether or not you intentionally stole it doesnt matter, point is, it is HER money. maybe she was getting it out to go buy a shitload of coke, but at the same time maybe she was taking it out to pay for groceries for her and her kids for the month
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u have the receipt doesn't it have her name on it? If so see if she's in the phone book
Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Teching In

no name on the reciept just the last 4 digits of her account. and it shows the balance still in her account and she doesnt exactly need the 400 bucks. thats why im so confused about the situation. i dont want to be an *** about it but at the same time ive have my wallet stolen 3 times in the past year and every time atleat 300 bucks cash, plus credit cards, bank cards, etc. so i will be able to sleep wether i keep it or not i just dont want to be slammed with a 400 dollar charge just b/c i happened to be next in line.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Don't those ATM machines all have security cameras in them now? If they really want they will find out it was you. Just take it to the bank so you dont sit here thinking "what if".
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say you're a piece of crap for even thinking about keeping the money. So it's her fault you were dumb enough to get your wallet stolen 3 times? I don't care if she is a multi-millionare and dropped 5 bucks. It's her money. Now, had you found it on the ground with no identification I would say lucky you. She has a certain amount of money in her account for a reason. Paying bills. Some people have 4k in bills a month easily. Take the money back.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im not saying I would take it heh, 400 bucks is alot so it would suck to lose it. I am positive that a teller at the bank can pull up that account from the receipt and make the deposit back into the account if you brought it back, but they will not come after you if you dont.

I would not take it personally, its not mine to take.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Teching In

take it and the reciept back to the bank...
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Teching In

take the money back and feel better about yourself, what if she has been laid off and the balance you saw was all she had to her name because she had to cash out her 401k until she found a job? i'm in that boat right now!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
I'd say you're a piece of crap for even thinking about keeping the money. So it's her fault you were dumb enough to get your wallet stolen 3 times? I don't care if she is a multi-millionare and dropped 5 bucks. It's her money. Now, had you found it on the ground with no identification I would say lucky you. She has a certain amount of money in her account for a reason. Paying bills. Some people have 4k in bills a month easily. Take the money back.
dude are you serious? just b/c i happen to find this money and i start a thread about it your going to call me piece of crap and im dumb enough to get my wallet stolen 3 times? you should smell what your shoveling. you have no idea who i am or what ive done, or even been through in the past year. i wanted to see what some opinions are on the situation besides mine. then you come along and run your mouth. i planned on giving it back bc i know what its like to lose your only moey you have for bills. i just wanted to see if there was honest people amungst me here on tech. but you sir are a complete douche bag.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I would take it back.....whether or not she needs it? who gives a **** dude. It's her money that she worked for. If she has money in the bank it's because she worked hard at saving. She might be one of those people who pays all her taxes at the end of the year instead of throughout the year.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Ask yourself; What if it was me and my only hope was the person finding it would do the right thing. Imagine the bank calling you or returning to tell your story and getting the news that your money was found and turned in and here it is.
Both parties would be winners. Self respect isn't worth 400 bucks. It has to be large enough to completely bury that thought!

Notice the time on the reciept. They just look at the pics from the ATM until you show up as the next person there.

Last edited by sundaydriver; 06-11-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Karma is a bitch I would take it to the bank and have them call her hell she might give you a reward for doing it. What goes around comes around I had the same thing happen to me and the person that took the money wasnt so nice, I lost 450 bucks
Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by boosted s-10
dude are you serious? just b/c i happen to find this money and i start a thread about it your going to call me piece of crap and im dumb enough to get my wallet stolen 3 times? you should smell what your shoveling. you have no idea who i am or what ive done, or even been through in the past year. i wanted to see what some opinions are on the situation besides mine. then you come along and run your mouth. i planned on giving it back bc i know what its like to lose your only moey you have for bills. i just wanted to see if there was honest people amungst me here on tech. but you sir are a complete douche bag.
i found a pic of the OP!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You are on camera they probably have you on it taking the money left in the machine by her then you withdrew right after so they know who you are from that. I work at a major bank and I have heard stories over the years. Who knows they may come looking for you or they may not . Honestly I would just take it back.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the receipt wont do ne thing. how is the bank going to tell whos account the last 4 of the account number belongs too. the only way they woudl be able to see whos money it is, is to check ATM logs of that time.. Go to the bank, tell them whathappened, and if they refuse to investigate, then well obv you have no other choice but to keep it. if they do investiggate it, dont give the money to the bank. hold onto it and give it to the lady in person. its simple
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...I weep for the future.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Teching In

i want everyone to understand im going to take the money down to my actual bank in the morning, explain the situation and give it to them to deal with it.