Speeding Ticket: Options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Speeding Ticket: Options?

We got a speeding ticket going 79 in a 65 in McLennan County, near Temple, TX by a State Trooper or a Marshall one. We DO have a radar that never went off and was going with the flow of traffic but he singled us out in our Vette and pulled us over. I doubt we were going that speed, but I'm sure if we try to take it to court we will be wasting time since he'll say he got us on his radar and police agencies are doing whatever they can right now to make money for their city. I doubt they would dismiss it and this would take too much time away from our jobs.

My options are:
1) Pay the $190.00 fine (most expensive route, and who has extra money these days?)
2) Take Defensive Driving/Driver Safety Course ($35 to take online, 6 hours to complete, then you have to provide all this documentation so this is a little time consuming. Also, the court wants $108.00 if you take the course - Why is this? Don't you take a Driver Safety Course to AVOID paying any court fines?)
3) Hire an attorney to go dismiss the ticket in court (How much is this and does it really work? Who would I contact?)

Thanks for your suggestions. I know some of you have had a ticket or two in your car!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complete the DD online. Its not that bad. I did it while I was at work. Just make sure you request your driving record as you will need to present that also once you complete the DD course. That way you can ask for deffered disposition if you get another ticket within the next year.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

i'll do the defensive driving for you online for $50 I take pay pal
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Launching!

No, you take DD to keep it off your record. Either way the courts going to get their fees
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

suxs.. I got popped doing 82 in a 60 this past Friday. (I rarely speed like a retard but I did)

I'm debating to do DD or get 6 mth probation.

How does the attorney work? Don't get tickets really and maybe it might be the best option.

Can someone answer this one?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

the attorney charges $45 to keep the ticket off your record but you have to go 90 days with no violations
Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took DD online, not too bad. Its timed so you can't just zip through it. But it was better than paying the fine and having the ticket on my record. Sent a check to the judge/court and then copies of the DD cetificate.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Look all you do is call them up. Plea No Contest. Agree with DD. Pay the 108$ with your Debit/Credit Card. Take a comedy driving school on a saturday (about 5 hours and 40 mintutes). Then you get your certificate in the mail. Send the one to your court and you get another for insurance so you can get a 10% discount on your payments.

You take out 2 birds with 1 stone. I did this recently in march. Worked out perfect and it keeps the ticket off your record. Id rather pay the $108 upfront then another $35 for DD. Easy..