My car is taking a few seconds to start...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car is taking a few seconds to start...

My fuel pump/filter was swapped about 1.5 wks ago, but I've noticed the last few days that my car has taken longer to start if it has been sitting for a few hours. Roughly 3 seconds. Would this be fuel related, or maybe a tired starter?

Any help is appreciated.

Patrick.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you key on but do not try to turn it over, can you hear the fuel pump priming? Does it do so immediately, take a couple of seconds and then stop?

I don't suppose you can check the pressure at the rail when you do that, can you?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

turn the key on just before start and leave it on a about 5 seconds. Turn it off then turn it back on and start it. I would be willing to bet i would start rt up. If it does start rt up then you are loosing the fuel in the feed line when it is sitting. Generally you see that in older cars and it is generally the pump but yours is new. It could be loosing it in other places. You could check to make sure the filter was tightened properly. The car did not do this before correct? if not then that rules out injectors leaking so i would say it is loosing the prime in the areas were work was performed.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the shop that did the install did a poor job. First the fuel door, now this? Its taking longer to start because fuel pressure is leaking down.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by A-Dub
Sounds like the shop that did the install did a poor job. First the fuel door, now this? Its taking longer to start because fuel pressure is leaking down.
Sounds like this.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not so fast, it could also be a fuel pressure regulator releasing pressure after the key is shut off causing it to have an extended crank
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lo_jack
When you key on but do not try to turn it over, can you hear the fuel pump priming? Does it do so immediately, take a couple of seconds and then stop?

I don't suppose you can check the pressure at the rail when you do that, can you?
I can hear the fuel pump immediately for about half a second. I dont have any gauges to check the fuel pressure as of now.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
turn the key on just before start and leave it on a about 5 seconds. Turn it off then turn it back on and start it. I would be willing to bet i would start rt up. If it does start rt up then you are loosing the fuel in the feed line when it is sitting. Generally you see that in older cars and it is generally the pump but yours is new. It could be loosing it in other places. You could check to make sure the filter was tightened properly. The car did not do this before correct? if not then that rules out injectors leaking so i would say it is loosing the prime in the areas were work was performed.
No, the car has never done this before. Im pretty sure it would start if I did the above^^^. I forgot to try it though. One of my prev z28s did that and it annoyed the hell out of me.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by A-Dub
Ya, I took it back there the other day to have them look at the fuel door(they're about 30 min away, but I was heading that direction anyways). They just loosened the 2 bolts that hold the plastic cover on, and tightened it back up while holding the cover tight to the other side. (not sure if that made any sense). If I cant fix this starting problem on my own, I'll take it back to Lethal. But I hate making the drive
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I took it back to lethal today. They took the pump back out to see if any of the hoses had a crink or hole in it. They didnt notice anything. They swapped out the fuel pressure regulator with a "good, used one". I just started my car after letting it set for ~5hrs... it still took about 3-4 secs to start, WTF... any other ideas?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Could be your idle air control valve.

Try turning the key to on, and step on the gas pedal a few times. Then turn on the car. Should turn on right away. If it does, then its likely the IAC.

Worth a try.

I checked vatozone and the damn thing is 100+$!!?? **** is ******* expensive
Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

fouled plugs?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

maybe your battery is getting low or something
Old 06-30-2009, 03:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pitbull329
Could be your idle air control valve.

Try turning the key to on, and step on the gas pedal a few times. Then turn on the car. Should turn on right away. If it does, then its likely the IAC.

Worth a try.

I checked vatozone and the damn thing is 100+$!!?? **** is ******* expensive
I'll check that tomorrow.

Originally Posted by mr_montellano
fouled plugs?
I dont think so, bc if I 'prime the car' (go back and forth off,on,off,on etc before I try to start the car, it starts... IE, Im building the fuel pressure back up)

Originally Posted by ls1n00b
maybe your battery is getting low or something
My battery is only a few months old, and I highly doubt its the altenator, especially bc of the above info.

Thanks for the advice/opinions etc guys, keep them coming.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno, I just did h/c in my t/a and I turn the key on, wait about 2-3 seconds, push on the gas just enough to open the butterfly and then turn the Key and it fires everytime. I dunno if its cause Im giving more fuel from the get go or what. Sounds like a regulator or possibly that Iac.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

For all you know it could be a bad pump. I have seen bad parts out of the box.
It could be something as simple as the schrader vavle on the rails you hook the guage up to. Alot of times when the regulators go bad they will have traces of gas in the attached vacume tube.

Then again if your old pump had low pressure and the new pump has normal pressure the older parts in the car could start to show their weaknesses.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Mine does the same thing. Its the starter. Engine has to lope a few times before it cranks. If you have headers.... they probably cooked it.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Launching!

sounds like a bad pump then, was it a a cheapo aftermarket? ive seen plenty of weak new ones
Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help Hector with my window last week.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had this same issue. I upgraded by fuel pump and add a H/C package. It would take a few seconds for it to start. Eventually it would not start at all.

Check your ignition relay fuse. Once I replaced this it fixed it. People thought it was maybe my fuel pump installed wrong, bad battery, bad alternator..all of it was fine.

Search this Thread