New Law: Don't Want To Evacuate? Go To Jail

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Law: Don't Want To Evacuate? Go To Jail

Don't Want To Evacuate? Go To Jail

New Law Takes Effect Sept. 1

HOUSTON -- People who choose not to obey a mandatory evacuation order could end up in jail, KPRC Local 2 reported Monday.

Police currently can only warn people who stay behind that they won't have emergency vehicles to help them, but that will change on Sept. 1.

The new law will allow police to arrest people who refuse to evacuate. County judges and mayor could also authorize the use of reasonable force to remove people from an area under a mandatory evacuation.

Besides hurricanes, the law also applies to other disasters like floods and fires.

This is getting ridicules. Our law system is getting too far to the left with "Gig Government". I can't even make my own decisions anymore.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it should be up to the person but if you get hurt during the hurricane your medical insurance is voided. Also they get no goverment aid.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Teching In

doesnt it have to be a lvl 5 for a mandatory evac? Usually the hurricane will die down before it hits htown. but still...
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Let Darwinism take care of the morons who choose to stay behind during a mandatory evac.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brettz28
doesnt it have to be a lvl 5 for a mandatory evac? Usually the hurricane will die down before it hits htown. but still...
Haha hell no, just a cat 4 will rip s*** apart.

I know sure as hell if it's a cat 5 I don't need a mandatory evacuation, I'll be long gone.

You're right things are getting ridiculous.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

if they want to stay, let them stay... who are we to tell them what they can and can't do... **** em, who cares lol
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the disaster is big enough to where the police are knocking on your door for you to evacuate, I think maybe you should be getting the **** out of there.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised this quasi-totalitarian move came from Texas. I immediately emailed my state rep's office.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
If the disaster is big enough to where the police are knocking on your door for you to evacuate, I think maybe you should be getting the **** out of there.
It doesn't matter. If people want to stay, they can stay. This is an infringement on our freedom and liberty.

If you disagree with this bill, contact your state rep.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Is this a city ordinance or a law passed through the state? I hadn't heard of it and the story doesn't give much detail. If this is a city ordinance I see some lawsuits in the cities' future.

I believe that any adult should be able to choose whether they stay or not. If they stay, they fend for themselves within the law, which means no looting to survive. If you stay it's your responsibility to provide your own supplies legally. And you get no help from emergency services.

But I don't think you should be able to endanger your children because you're ignorant and bull headed. I say let the adults stay but have the ability to forcefully evacuate the children of the idiots who are stupid enough to make their family stay.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

i heard this on the buzz this morning ****** retarded law, and yes its a state law unfortunately
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a state law!

I also emailed our reps before I posted this. I can't believe it, in California ok maybe, but Texas STFU...

I can see all my new guns are going to come in handy soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shackleford
It doesn't matter. If people want to stay, they can stay. This is an infringement on our freedom and liberty.

If you disagree with this bill, contact your state rep.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
I am 16, so I don't have a choice anyways.

Don't want to evacuate? Don't answer the door, simple as that. They can't evacuate someone that "isn't" there. Like hell they are knocking down our door.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm down here on the coast, and we took a direct hit in Rita which was a 3 and it tore a lot of crap up. Then we got flooded in Ike which was a big 2 with the tidal surge of a 4. So I can see the reason to leave but to throw people in jail for staying is a little bit out there. I know they are looking at all the people in the Crystal Beach area that got killed. I stayed for Ike and I was only gone one day for Rita. I have learned how to survive after a hurricane, but there was a lot of people after Ike that couldn't survive on their own and had to get rescued and so on. I can see both sides of this argument, they have to try to protect the dumb people. I would have less problem evacuating if they let people back in sooner. Oh and you can go to my photo album to see some Ike pictures.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

I remember right after Katrina they told everybody to evacuate Houston for the next hurricane. I45 was backed up for more than a hundred miles and everybody ran out of gas on the road. Then nothing happened.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, remember texting a bunch of friends because they were bored sitting on the road, so glad I stayed home.

People here are actually smart unlike another neighboring state, so if it ever got to a 4 or 5, I think people would be leaving.

If anything happens we will just go to my sisters house, that way my mom can see the baby and I can help my sis around the house, so it doesn't matter if the storm comes or not.

I would just be afraid of leaving my cars here, hopefully the T/A will be capable of the journey if a hurricane does come through, ain't no way in hell I am leaving it behind.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, you guys are going to love this doozy:

Sec. 418.184. FIREARMS. (a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful execution of the officer's official duties during a state of disaster may disarm an individual if the officer reasonably believes it is immediately necessary for the protection of the officer or another individual. (b)The peace officer shall return the firearm to an individual disarmed under Subsection (a) before ceasing to detain the individual unless the officer: (1)arrests the individual for engaging in criminal activity; or (2)seizes the firearm as evidence in a criminal investigation. SECTION 3. Section 229.001, Local Government Code, is amended by adding Subsection (d) to read as follows: (d)The exception provided by Subsection (b)(4) does not authorize the seizure or confiscation of any firearm or ammunition from an individual who is lawfully carrying or possessing the firearm or ammunition.