Cash For Clunkers Top Ten lists!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cash For Clunkers Top Ten lists!

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers Trade-Ins:
1. 1998 Ford Explorer

2. 1997 Ford Explorer

3. 1996 Ford Explorer

4. 1999 Ford Explorer

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer

8. 1994 Ford Explorer

9. 1997 Ford Windstar

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan

The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:
1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevy Cobalt
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really suprised the ford expedition and the 93-97 lt1 cars didnt make that clunker list!!

j/k on the lt1 car. but serious on the expedition
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that proves chevy builds a better product than the others in the big three. 70% are fords the rest are dodge products.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue85350
well that proves chevy builds a better product than the others in the big three. 70% are fords the rest are dodge products.
Or tejano's like to drive and pimp our cars and can't afford a new one!!!

Last edited by DAVE00; 08-05-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Lovely. Retarded Americans are trading in their American made cars for Japanese made cars.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Lovely. Retarded Americans are trading in their American made cars for Japanese made cars.
True, but the parts to keep those 20 year old American made cars going all come from China. So, it's pay me now or pay me now ...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
True, but the parts to keep those 20 year old American made cars going all come from China. So, it's pay me now or pay me now ...
Or they come from other cars in the junk yards (recycled parts). However, Obama in his infinate wisdom, is not allowing anything from these vehicles to be recycled except the Wheels/Tires, Gas Tank (obviously why) and the radiator. Seems to me that is really a waste!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed ... a complete waste.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

How likely is it that 5 of 10 cars being traded in IS IN FACT an Explorer? I saw another list yesterday that had 7 of 10 Explorers? Not saying these are fantastic vehicles, but seriously, that many? Wheres the BS flag?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't get me wrong. I'm fine with someone trading their old gas guzzler in, but don't trade it in on a damn Camry or Civic.

I was really bored a few Sundays ago and went to Ron Carter (because they are closed on Sundays) to walk around and look at all of the new vehicles. I pretty much sat in everything that was unlocked. The "Foreign cars are made better and have higher quality interiors" is such a damn myth (maybe 15 years ago). I sat in a loaded Camry and I swear to you, it wasn't as nice as the loaded Ford Fusion Sport at the other end of the lot.

Hey. It's the consumers' money. I guess they can do what they want with it, even if it means buying into a myth, overpaying for an automobile and sending their money overseas.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its sad when the taxpayers own the majority of gm and you cant get them to buy from their own company. It would be like owning a restaurant and always eating at the competitors.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Don't get me wrong. I'm fine with someone trading their old gas guzzler in, but don't trade it in on a damn Camry or Civic.

I was really bored a few Sundays ago and went to Ron Carter (because they are closed on Sundays) to walk around and look at all of the new vehicles. I pretty much sat in everything that was unlocked. The "Foreign cars are made better and have higher quality interiors" is such a damn myth (maybe 15 years ago). I sat in a loaded Camry and I swear to you, it wasn't as nice as the loaded Ford Fusion Sport at the other end of the lot.

Hey. It's the consumers' money. I guess they can do what they want with it, even if it means buying into a myth, overpaying for an automobile and sending their money overseas.

Yeah but the price difference between a loaded american car (to get a decent interior) and a base or even a mildly loaded camry ( which have a nice interior to start with) is massive.

fwiw im all for buying american, but apples to apples and price to price most "foreign" cars are leading the charge in interior and gas mileage
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

The "buy American" debate is a solid one. Where the line gets cloudy is where those cars are assembled.

It is true that Honda, Toyota, et.al. profits go back to Japan and line the pockets of a few Japanese businessmen.

But it also keeps thousands of jobs right here on our soil assembling the cars, selling the cars and servicing the cars. And there are a LOT of American shareholders in those companies that are reaping rewards as well.

20 years ago, "buying American" meant a lot more than it does today ...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Launching!

The "buy American" debate is a solid one. Where the line gets cloudy is where those cars are assembled.

It is true that Honda, Toyota, et.al. profits go back to Japan and line the pockets of a few Japanese businessmen.

But it also keeps thousands of jobs right here on our soil assembling the cars, selling the cars and servicing the cars. And there are a LOT of American shareholders in those companies that are reaping rewards as well.

20 years ago, "buying American" meant a lot more than it does today ...
Very well said, out of highschool, i worked at a plant in my hometown which makes many plastic interior parts, almost all steering wheels, and dash panels for honda. Interiors for toyota, nissan and plastics for honda ATV's.

I also have a friend who works at honda r&d in troy Ohio, and my stepfather drives a semi for the company as well. While everyone i jut mentioned continues to drive american vehichles, its the foregin sales that pay their wages.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

I bet in another country a government sponsored cash for clunkers program would only be aplicable to domestic vehicles.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
Yeah but the price difference between a loaded american car (to get a decent interior) and a base or even a mildly loaded camry ( which have a nice interior to start with) is massive.
You couldn't be more wrong.

apples to apples and price to price most "foreign" cars are leading the charge in interior and gas mileage
Who told you this? Your mom?
You are a prime example of "buying into the myth".

Toyota is kicking *** in mpg with the Prius. Their other models aren't any better in MPG than their American counter-parts.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Launching!

You couldn't be more wrong.

Who told you this? Your mom?
You are a prime example of "buying into the myth".

Toyota is kicking *** in mpg with the Prius. Their other models aren't any better in MPG than their American counter-parts.
your right you win teh internets pissing match for today
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very well said, out of highschool, i worked at a plant in my hometown which makes many plastic interior parts, almost all steering wheels, and dash panels for honda. Interiors for toyota, nissan and plastics for honda ATV's.

I also have a friend who works at honda r&d in troy Ohio, and my stepfather drives a semi for the company as well. While everyone i jut mentioned continues to drive american vehichles, its the foregin sales that pay their wages.
How can you talk about them when you drive a formula.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

your right you win teh internets pissing match for today

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
How can you talk about them when you drive a formula.
I was replying/adding to mitchntx's post.

Im 100% for buying american, BUT the foreign car companys that we're bitching about in this thread, have AMERICAN divisions, while they do send profits back to the motherland, the majority of the industry is providing jobs and paying in to the american economy in and around the areas where the plants are located, i know this first hand. Just the same as all of the outsourcing done by the big 3, sure the parent comapny makes money here in the US, but obviously not enough to save the companies. Im sure the citys where the gm,chrysler, and ford comapnies build the cars abroad, hinge a large part of the economy on the auto industry. Therefore, buying foreign in mexico, means buying "american" gm, but it pads pablo's pocket in turn.

and as for me driving a formula, at the time i was working for the foreigners, i was driving a 94 z 28, my stepdad drives a dodge truck, and my friend who works for honda drives a cavilier, a cavalier, and a GN. Also my friend, my mother, myself and pretty much everyone else in or around my hometown (close to dayton) is a descendant of a GM worker. When GM outsourced thier work and left everyone wth a big **** you, where else did people have to turn to make money in the field they had worked many many years in,? oh yeah thats right the companies that sourced the foreign auto industry. Its a viscous cycle and not all of the capital stays in america, but if working for a foreign comapny pays your bills, and feeds your children, then obviously the money in some part is feeding our shitty economy. /rant

Quick Reply: Cash For Clunkers Top Ten lists!