Rear end noise?!!? help?!?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise?!!? help?!?

when i turn left.. has to be between 1-20 mph, i get a clunk.. or a pop.. and also feels like the rear shifts a tiny bit when it clunks... does not happen when i turn right. Also if i continue to turn it can clunk/pop more then once. what could this be? a bushing maybe? i really have no idea and its getting worse.
Also best shop to take it to that wont take one of my legs as payment?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Yeah sounds like the rear end, if i were you i would go to pyle bros in baytown their pretty cheap and do really good work.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im hoping its not the actualy diff and axle.. if so im so fucked lol.. im in dallas tho im thinking its gotta be something to do with the actualy suspension tho... i hope ne ways
Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Oh damn i didnt even look where you were from. But yeah we got a really good rear end place ocer here that would get you set up. But hopefully some other members with a little more expertise will pitch in ha but good luck brotha.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02ws666
im hoping its not the actualy diff and axle.. if so im so fucked lol.. im in dallas tho im thinking its gotta be something to do with the actualy suspension tho... i hope ne ways
yea maybe ur lucky tht it is the suspension
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

something inside me says its not the actual rear end.. cuz how woudl turning affect it?? not to mention it actualy sounds like its from the left side.... oh god plz say a prayer for me lol... drives normal and just took a 2k trip to fl and back 2 weeks ago... hmmm
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it is the rear end I wouldn't sweat it. I have broken a few 10 bolts, and I just keep buying used ones for $150. A buddy sold me one for $50. In fact, I personally would hope it was the rear end since it would be a cheap, and fairly easy fix.

Having someone rebuild a 10 bolt is a waste of money in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i suppose i woudl be able to do it in my garage one weekend.. but still id rather a bolt be loose somewhere or a bushing be worn out lol
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A weekend? Maybe a few hours...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is doing the same thing it sounds like, i went and took the cover off my rearend to check it out and put new gaskets and fluid in there but it still does it. i can acctualy feel it through the floorboard too. i was told it might be the u-joints?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Sounds to me like a barely fucked up rear end. Mine old car did the same thing for a while until I finally made the sumbitch take a ****. The reason it only does it when you turn is because the outside wheel has to turn faster than the inside wheel (in relation to the direction of turn) and when there is stress put on the damaged spline, it forces it to slip and "pop". There's no limit to how many times it can pop in a row and yeah mine would do it so hard that the rear end would kick out a little bit. Trust me, throwing suspension parts at it, won't help. After mine started doing that, I noticed the LCA bushings were loose so I put tubular ones on and it didn't help.

At the time, I was fairly mechanically inclined, but I'd never really done any major mechanical work. I did a rear end swap in my car in about 4 hours, by myself. I just got 2 jack stands and a floor jack. The only part I needed help with was putting the new rear in place cause it was so heavy. And the used 10 bolt only cost me $150.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This many replies and nobody has suggested Jason @ TDP?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 AM

my rear end did the same thing then i took it to the track and shattered it lol
Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Sounds to me like a barely fucked up rear end. Mine old car did the same thing for a while until I finally made the sumbitch take a ****. The reason it only does it when you turn is because the outside wheel has to turn faster than the inside wheel (in relation to the direction of turn) and when there is stress put on the damaged spline, it forces it to slip and "pop". There's no limit to how many times it can pop in a row and yeah mine would do it so hard that the rear end would kick out a little bit. Trust me, throwing suspension parts at it, won't help. After mine started doing that, I noticed the LCA bushings were loose so I put tubular ones on and it didn't help.

At the time, I was fairly mechanically inclined, but I'd never really done any major mechanical work. I did a rear end swap in my car in about 4 hours, by myself. I just got 2 jack stands and a floor jack. The only part I needed help with was putting the new rear in place cause it was so heavy. And the used 10 bolt only cost me $150.
Thanks man. I guess i better start looking for a 10 bolt then. Might as well throw 410s in it too..

Originally Posted by Texfinn
This many replies and nobody has suggested Jason @ TDP?
actualy this is a good idea as well.. he did my tranny rebuild and clutch

appreciate the help guys
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh also... what will happen when it finaly... "breaks?" will it be dangerous like a wheel flying off and killing a poor little construction worker? or will it just not go ne more?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02ws666
oh also... what will happen when it finaly... "breaks?" will it be dangerous like a wheel flying off and killing a poor little construction worker? or will it just not go ne more?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sR0bUZp74

Check out the other related videos too.

-justin
Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

i have the same issue, i coast in neutral and make a left turn into my neighbourhood and i hear a clunk noise.
its been like this for over 2 years now, and its not really been a problem so just relax, the rear will break soon one time or another.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Worst case scenario... Your rear end seizes, which transfers to the tranny stopping immediately. They don't like that. It'd probably **** up your torque converter too and possibly bend a valve depending on how hard you were accellerating. But the valve part is just a WORST CASE guess...

But you could be looking at a tranny and rear end if it were to seize. When I drove mine fucked up, I kept my hand on the shifter to throw it in neutral asap.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine did the same except with right turns. My fix was a MWC fabbed 9". I've seen too many people try to "strengthen" their 10 bolts only to beak it again later.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Teching In

sounds to me like spyder gears. they are your gears for turning, they pop because it skips a tooth. it happend to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end noise?!!? help?!?