Anyone with a Tech 2 lend a hand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a Tech 2 lend a hand?

I'm having problems with my camshaft position sensor and I have now replaced it twice to no avail in fixing my problem. I would hate to spend another $100 on this sensor only for it to go bad again so I was hoping someone with a tech 2 could read the resistance between the cps and pcm to tell me if I have a short somewhere or if the pcm needs replacing or something else.

The dealer wants to charge $88 worth of labor to spend 5 minutes of their time to tell me what's going on. If someone in the NW houston area with a tech 2 wants to lend a helping hand I can bring a 6pack or some cash. Please help!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

You can buy a Fluke multimeter at a pawn shop for $50. They are a good tool to have. You can measure the resistance yourself. And voltage. And continuity. Etc.....
Old 08-23-2009, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
You can buy a Fluke multimeter at a pawn shop for $50. They are a good tool to have. You can measure the resistance yourself. And voltage. And continuity. Etc.....
If I really wanted to, I could do that with a multimeter as well (which I have). However, from what I understand, a tech 2 can tell you in depth why your car is throwing a particular code instead of just reading it.

And since the cps sensor requires removal of the intake, I'd rather have someone tell me for sure what the problem is so I can fix it all right then and there.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Launching!

i have a tech2 but in fort worth, it will only show a reading, if its a zero then theres
probably a wiring issue, its a three wire sensor, so you could unplug it at the sensor and check for 12 volts and a good ground with the key on engine off..
then check the signal continuity from the sensor to the pcm, and if thats also good its probably a pcm wich i doubt...
more than likely the terminals are probablly really spread open at the sensor
Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairracer
i have a tech2 but in fort worth, it will only show a reading, if its a zero then theres
probably a wiring issue, its a three wire sensor, so you could unplug it at the sensor and check for 12 volts and a good ground with the key on engine off..
then check the signal continuity from the sensor to the pcm, and if thats also good its probably a pcm wich i doubt...
more than likely the terminals are probablly really spread open at the sensor
Let me give the cliff notes on my situation here.

Randomly the tach started acting up and eventually it went completely dead. Threw a code for the cam sensor. I replaced it with an aftermarket sensor and it didn't take but two days for it to act up again. I did some reading and saw that you should use the acdelco sensor. So popped a new $100 sensor and it lasted a week before it started acting up. Then a week later it worked completely fine up until a month later (yesterday) it randomly started occuring again. The fact that its going out wants me to believe its a short but at the same time, I dont want to start buying parts and replacing stuff only for a sensor to go bad again.

Furthermore, my sensor only has 2 wires???
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Launching!

well first if the tach went erratic it was probably a crankshaft sensor issue thats on the side of the block, its a three wire connector,
the camshaft position sensor should have three wires
red=power 12 volts..connector 2(red) pin 39 at pcm
pink/ blk stripe= low refrence (ground)...connector 1(blue)pin 61 at pcm
brown/white stripe= signal wire to the pcm,..connector 1 (blue) pin 73
and from the looks of the wiring diagram its a straight shot from there to the pcm, no connectors in between..
means you can touch from one wire to the other end at the pcm and ohm for resistance...
but imo it sounds like a cranksensor issue more than anything. maybe the starters shorting out the wire since they pass over it, over if you have headers they may be burning thru..
good luck,
fernando
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you have to do a relearn on the cps? Probably has nothing to do with the problem your seeing, just a question...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairracer
well first if the tach went erratic it was probably a crankshaft sensor issue thats on the side of the block, its a three wire connector,
the camshaft position sensor should have three wires
red=power 12 volts..connector 2(red) pin 39 at pcm
pink/ blk stripe= low refrence (ground)...connector 1(blue)pin 61 at pcm
brown/white stripe= signal wire to the pcm,..connector 1 (blue) pin 73
and from the looks of the wiring diagram its a straight shot from there to the pcm, no connectors in between..
means you can touch from one wire to the other end at the pcm and ohm for resistance...
but imo it sounds like a cranksensor issue more than anything. maybe the starters shorting out the wire since they pass over it, over if you have headers they may be burning thru..
good luck,
fernando
The code it has been throwing is for the camshaft sensor. The two times I replaced the sensor the problem was fixed immediately until overtime, it started having problems again. Which lead me to think that it has some type of short to the pcm or itself may be on the fritz; damaging the new sensors.

I appreciate you giving me the pin numbers that it is sent to the pcm. That will save me some time. However, I want to say I am about 95% sure I saw only 2 wires going to the connector to the cps sensor.

Another reason I was hoping someone could give me some more answers with a tech 2 is so that when I pull the intake I can have the parts ready whether it be a crankshaft sensor, new connector/wiring, or a pcm. That way I can have the least amount of downtime (I order my parts online from rockauto).

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Don't you have to do a relearn on the cps? Probably has nothing to do with the problem your seeing, just a question...
The time I replaced the cps sensor you could tell the car had to relearn. However, it just had idle issues for the first 5 minutes before it was ready to go.

Last edited by LS1Fury!; 08-25-2009 at 10:25 PM.