I'm getting 6.88MPG... ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm getting 6.88MPG... ideas?

Well 3 fill ups ago, I noticed my MPG had dropped from 11-12mpg to 8.5 mpg. My next fill up was 7.33MPG. I cleaned the air filter, and it seemed as though it made a difference, I also decided to change my plugs with NGK TR6s gapped at .035. Afterwards, my car began to stumble/sputter once the car hits 2-2500RPMs. I just filled up my tank, and I got 6.88 MPG on that last fill up. I've started a thread about this on AFB, and many suggested the air filter/plug change etc. But that doesn't seem to have helped any. Have any of you experienced this?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's your fuel filter?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I got my fuel pump and fuel filter changed about 2 months ago...
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you carrying extra weight ? When was the last time you machined your rotors ?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaysan
are you carrying extra weight ? When was the last time you machined your rotors ?
Lmao thats some funny ****!!! And Partick why run a nitrous plug if your not going to be spraying the car. I woulda ran a tr55 gaped at 55
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

6.88mpg? Did they hook up a fuel pressure gauge after installing the new pump/filter to confirm it was working alright? List of modifications? Who tuned that car? You need to come by so I can hook up the scanner to see if anything is glaring. Thats insane by the way! I'de park it until I figured it out.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob's 02 SS
Lmao thats some funny ****!!! And Partick why run a nitrous plug if your not going to be spraying the car. I woulda ran a tr55 gaped at 55
Just incase I decided to use the nitrous. Figured it wouldnt hurt anything.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2Tightwads
6.88mpg? Did they hook up a fuel pressure gauge after installing the new pump/filter to confirm it was working alright? List of modifications? Who tuned that car? You need to come by so I can hook up the scanner to see if anything is glaring. Thats insane by the way! I'de park it until I figured it out.
I'm not sure if you saw my previous threads, but I had to take it back 4-5 times bc it wasn't working right. My fuel pressure still drops under acceleration, which I've heard is normal from some people. But some people have told me that its bc my fuel pump isn't sufficient for my mods. Lethal recommended a Walbro, but I've heard of a few bad reviews. Engine mods are as follows...

RPM stage 3 LS6 Heads
2.02/1.60 valves, been ported on both intake and exhaust side, milled .030
Crane dual springs good to .650 lift
RPM 4 .595/.601 232/236 114lsa.
100 dry shot
LS6 intake
SLP lid and bellows, NGK plugs, SVO Green Top 42lb injectors, LS1 EDIT done by RPM

What part of SA are you at Al, Northwest? I tried calling you last week for the plug install, not sure if you recieved my voice mail though?

And I've been keeping it parked as much as possible. I've probably driven it about 150-200 miles in the past month and a half or so. My gf lives a few duplexes down, so she drives 99% of the time

Oh, I was also told that I should put some Lucas injector cleaner in my tank, so I did that a week ago or so.

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 09-06-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I'm not sure if you saw my previous threads, but I had to take it back 4-5 times bc it wasn't working right. My fuel pressure still drops under acceleration, which I've heard is normal from some people. But some people have told me that its bc my fuel pump isn't sufficient for my mods. Lethal recommended a Walbro, but I've heard of a few bad reviews. Engine mods are as follows...

RPM stage 3 LS6 Heads
100 dry shot
LS6 intake
SLP lid and bellows, NGK plugs, SVO Green Top 42lb injectors, LS1 EDIT done by RPM

What part of SA are you at Al, Northwest? I tried calling you last week for the plug install, not sure if you recieved my voice mail though?

And I've been keeping it parked as much as possible. I've probably driven it about 150-200 miles in the past month and a half or so. My gf lives a few duplexes down, so she drives 99% of the time

Oh, I was also told that I should put some Lucas injector cleaner in my tank, so I did that a week ago or so.

was it tuned on a dyno? and is this the rpm in richardson??
Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also decided to change my plugs with NGK TR6s gapped at .035. Afterwards, my car began to stumble/sputter once the car hits 2-2500RPMs.

You don't think that you may have cracked on of the plugs during the install?
Pretty easy to do
Old 09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you still have O2 sensors? If so, sounds like they're fouled.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by avengedws6
was it tuned on a dyno? and is this the rpm in richardson??
It was tuned prior to me buying it a couple yrs ago. And last I heard, RPM was in lewisville?

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
I also decided to change my plugs with NGK TR6s gapped at .035. Afterwards, my car began to stumble/sputter once the car hits 2-2500RPMs.

You don't think that you may have cracked on of the plugs during the install?
Pretty easy to do
Well I had TR6s in here before I changed them out... What did you do to fix the problem though? Did you stay with TR6s?

I didn't do the plug change, a buddy at work did it while I ran some errands.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Haans249
Do you still have O2 sensors? If so, sounds like they're fouled.
Ya, I have 02 sensors.

But I have no check engine lights coming on... We took off one of the wires, and the check engine light still didn't come on.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you are wanting you just spray nitrous straight into it if it is running that rich.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Drain some oil into a cup, smell it, and if it smells like fuel start looking at your injectors. I cant imagine you have multiple injectors hung, but you could have two hung. Thats a very bad thing for your rings as well.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to have the car tuned again and updated.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would take it to a differant tuner. just from past treads and people i know that have gone there.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Yah I got your message but I live in Lytle, TX, work in NW San Antonio, TX. Would have loved to help you out for free in exchange for future referral work but I needed to know sooner that you would be showing or not. I figured since the thread said I would help out you would confirm with me you'de be there a little sooner than an hour before i drove into the meet...just didn't work out as planned...but anyhow....looks like your plug install got tackled which is all that matters. The Tr-6's being installed instead of Tr-5's is fine. They are not your issue unless broken or misinstalled somehow. Are you certain your buddy installed ALL (8) of the new plugs without issue? So what pump did you have installed currently? A Walbro pump should be sufficient for your mods. I recommend instead: http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html with the Hotwire kit. So how were you able to derive your fuel pressure is dropping under acceleration? I'm betting your 42lb. injectors are alot of your issue. Nothing wrong with them...just believe the tune for them to be rapped. Several Pro Tuners across the country have and even still are guessing when it comes to injector data. I could atleast give it a look and tell you right away if your tune is crap or not. I'm outa' town this weekend so next weekend is the earliest I can help anyone local. You can decide then if you wanna pay to play.
Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I'm not sure if you saw my previous threads, but I had to take it back 4-5 times bc it wasn't working right. My fuel pressure still drops under acceleration, which I'vexxe heard is normal from some people. But some people have told me that its bc my fuel pump isn't sufficient for my mods. Lethal recommended a Walbro, but I've heard of a few bad reviews. Engine mods are as follows...

RPM stage 3 LS6 Heads
100 dry shot
LS6 intake

Old 09-06-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2Tightwads
Yah I got your message but I live in Lytle, TX, work in NW San Antonio, TX. Would have loved to help you out for free in exchange for future referral work but I needed to know sooner that you would be showing or not. I figured since the thread said I would help out you would confirm with me you'de be there a little sooner than an hour before i drove into the meet...just didn't work out as planned...but anyhow....looks like your plug install got tackled which is all that matters. The Tr-6's being installed instead of Tr-5's is fine. They are not your issue unless broken or misinstalled somehow. Are you certain your buddy installed ALL (8) of the new plugs without issue? So what pump did you have installed currently? A Walbro pump should be sufficient for your mods. I recommend instead: http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html with the Hotwire kit. So how were you able to derive your fuel pressure is dropping under acceleration? I'm betting your 42lb. injectors are alot of your issue. Nothing wrong with them...just believe the tune for them to be rapped. Several Pro Tuners across the country have and even still are guessing when it comes to injector data. I could atleast give it a look and tell you right away if your tune is crap or not. I'm outa' town this weekend so next weekend is the earliest I can help anyone local. You can decide then if you wanna pay to play.

Ya, I apologize for the short notice with the plugs. It was a late decision for me as well. And yes, it is a walbro pump, not sure what model. I noticed that my fuel pressure was lowering bc I have a autometer gauge in my car. But just to confirm, I got one from autozone and drove around with it, and sure enough. The pressure lowered under accerlation. And yes, I'm willing to "pay to play" . I need my car running. And I'm sure I can send you plenty of work.