Quality Control Inspector - Career Opportunities

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quality Control Inspector - Career Opportunities

I'm seeking a new job/career in the inspection field. For the past 2 years, I worked for a big oil and gas company doing the inspections listed below. The inspections I performed were in the manufacturing stages of the components we built. It could start by doing a hardness testing on a forging, to dimensional inspection on a finished machined part, to liquid penetrate test on a non-ferrous surface. I also did coating inspections on completed components prior to assembly and assembly inspection as well. This included reviewing FATs/procedures, insuring all testing is in accordance, reviewing pressure charts and logs, doing final as-builts, oil analysis on the hydraulic fluids to obtain the cleanliness of these samples, etc. I would like to stay within the oil and gas industry for inspection, but isn't a must. I would particularly prefer to work in a machine shop performing dimensional inspections and utilizing FARO products would be a plus. If anyone has any leads on openings for an inspector, please post or send me a private message. Thanks in advance.

Dimensional Inspection
FARO Arm & Laser Tracker
Assembly Inspection
Coating Inspection
Oil Analysis
Liquid Penetrate/Penetrate Testing
Magnetic Particle Inspection
Mic 10
King Brinell
Rockwell C
Telebrineller
Old 09-21-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm majoring in a similar field at the moment... Industrial Safety... I'm taking a TQM class right now and it's actually pretty interesting...
Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Contact
D&C Inspection
Moody International
Jacobs Engineering
MTB Inspection
Conam

I have a list of 100's of places. I have been in the QA/QC Feild for over 10 years let me know what your email is.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont know if you wanna move, but there is a few QA positions here at spirit aerosystems where i work. with ten years experiance youd prolly start at 16-17 maybe?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
dont know if you wanna move, but there is a few QA positions here at spirit aerosystems where i work. with ten years experiance youd prolly start at 16-17 maybe?
I think you mean 2.......not ten.... Unless your a major screw up and dope head lol....

Hey Bro here is a hit. Call and talk to Mike and tell him Tim Buchanan sent ya. I am very very well known at the school. This would be a good chance to meet people.

Per the email:

you are invited to the Meet & Eat scheduled for this Thursday, September 24, 2009 from Noon - 2:30pm. Seven NDT companies have confirmed attendance. These companies have expressed a need for level II's, API's and CWI's. Bar-B-Q will be served at noon and the remainder of the afternoon will be for networking. This will be a great chance to explore what opportunities available and to see some of the old familiar faces. Hope to see you here.

Mike Oden
NDT Placement Coordinator
The Ocean Corporation
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
I think you mean 2.......not ten.... Unless your a major screw up and dope head lol....

Hey Bro here is a hit. Call and talk to Mike and tell him Tim Buchanan sent ya. I am very very well known at the school. This would be a good chance to meet people.

Per the email:

Yep, we have a Meet and Greet on Thursday. I'm Matt, I'm an instructor there. Stop by and say hello. There are suppost to be people there from companies looking for people. Good luck, let me know if you need any help.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

1INSANEGTO, I appreciate the contacts/leads. I'm going to look into them right now. Honestly, I would like to stay somewhat local, unless the pay is really good. I was driving 20 miles each way and would like to keep it somewhat the same. I did however have to drive through like 20 lights or so. I could get to work as fast as 22 minutes hauling *** with majority of the lights being green or as slow as 35 minutes with red lights and traffic. I'll send you a PM with my email.

For the 2nd reply you posted, as originally stated, I would prefer to keep it more on the dimensional side. Those were my main duties at the company I was at. The hardness testing and PT was somewhat regular, seldom on MT, regular on oil analysis, assembly for 6 months or so, and coating inspection on a regular basis. Were the contacts you posted geared towards NDT/NDE or dimensional?

shtnfrds, if 10 years experience is the requirement, I wouldn't qualify. I'm not willing to move and I prefer to keep it within 30 miles or so, closer being better.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell ya this as I have been doing it for 10 years. You need to not limit yourself. Dimensional is so one sided. You need to learn more and get the certs so you can fall back on later in life. After 5 years if your not making 50K plus your doing something wrong.

Matt what do you teach?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 PM

i am just saying i worked for Iris-NDT for a year or more, and recently got laid off from there company. it was a great company to work for. ive been looking to work for either iris again or another company but with me trying to go back to school and knowing inspections require long hrs i had to find another job. i would love to get back in the inspection, if they would managed my hours for schooling, but gezz i miss the money.

i was a RT assistant
and i had my PT cert
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAYRAY-04goat
i am just saying i worked for Iris-NDT for a year or more, and recently got laid off from there company. it was a great company to work for. ive been looking to work for either iris again or another company but with me trying to go back to school and knowing inspections require long hrs i had to find another job. i would love to get back in the inspection, if they would managed my hours for schooling, but gezz i miss the money.

i was a RT assistant
and i had my PT cert
I think you lived in my old neighborhood, Willow Lake Estates?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club NA

1INSANEGTO, I totally hear you. The only thing that really holds me back is dimensional will usually be within a shop and for the most part, you always stay clean. With NDE/NDT, you may be stuck out in the field, hot, cold, rainy, etc. and you're likely ever to be clean. Heck, even the NDE/NDT guys that worked inside the shop still got dirty because it's just not a clean job. Most of the PTs I did were on finished machined parts that had inconel overlay, so even then I was in the shop and stayed clean. I'm not against furthering my career with NDE/NDT, but I would definitely need to find a company who's willing to certify me as I only have the hours and experience, not the certs. As mentioned in the PM, I had to have a level II witness my inspection since I was only a level I. I was already at that point of annual pay with the overtime I was working and hope to find a new job that will pay at least.

RAYRAY-04goat, you're right about the long hours. Work has only recently slowed down and hours cut back, but for the 1st year and a half I was working from 6 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday rotating weekends. Then it dropped down to 6 am to 4:30 pm, then down to 40, and picked back up to 50 again just before I left. That wasn't set in stone, but for the last 6 months or so, it varied upon the workload.

NiceTry, if the company you worked for wasn't so far, I'd consider them. Does Roland Chavez ring a bell? He used to work for the company I worked for and now is where you're at.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Matt what do you teach?
Eddy Current and Ultrasonics. Other NDT if needed.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Can you be a little more specific on this meet & greet?

Is it intended for NDE/NDT techs that are seeking new jobs?

For NDE/NDT techs that are in need of a job?

A refresher?

Training?

Certified techs, no certs. but experience and knowledge, or for no experience/knowledge at all?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dragaholic

shtnfrds, if 10 years experience is the requirement, I wouldn't qualify. I'm not willing to move and I prefer to keep it within 30 miles or so, closer being better.
oops mis read the first few posts. i thought that you were the one that had 10 years in. There is noe required experiance nessecary. they have been hiring inspectors off the street here. with the two years exp you have in the inspection feild that would still put u in the 15-16/hr range.

But since you dont want to relocate, i definatly understand that one, then you wouldnt need to know anything about the jobs here then.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

A refresher?

Training?

Certified techs, no certs. but experience and knowledge, or for no experience/knowledge at all?
Meet people who are hiring
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
oops mis read the first few posts. i thought that you were the one that had 10 years in. There is noe required experiance nessecary. they have been hiring inspectors off the street here. with the two years exp you have in the inspection feild that would still put u in the 15-16/hr range.

But since you dont want to relocate, i definatly understand that one, then you wouldnt need to know anything about the jobs here then.
If there only making 16-17 with 10 years exp then they need to get out of there chair go punch the prez in the face and leave. I am well over 110k a year with 10 years. That's just crazy.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

Are these 3rd party inspection companies or companies looking for inspectors within the company? Does that make sense?

Any possible way to get a list of these companies who will be attending? I ask because if they're all located beyond my driving limits, there's really no need to attend. Don't take that the wrong way, but if all these companies are from the north side, it would do me no good since I'm on the south side.

Unless the pay justifies the drive, I really would like to keep it 30 miles or less. If I land something I plan to relocate to Pearland which is a little closer to the Houston area.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

A refresher?

Training?

It's for our students and our graduates who are looking for jobs. If you went to the school, contact Mike (above) and talk to him.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well that excludes me. I didn't go to the school.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone else work at a company that's hiring for quality control inspectors or have any leads? Again, it doesn't have to be oil and gas related. Manufacturing I guess would better describe it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Quality Control Inspector - Career Opportunities