Changing from aluminum to an iron block

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing from aluminum to an iron block

So I am contemplating changing from a built 347ci aluminum block motor to a 427 iron block. I've been told everything will swap over, so that is good... but my nitrous shortblock and nitrous kit have to go before I can afford the swap. If anyone is interested in the nitrous kit or shortblock, PM me for details. Will make someone a very good deal.

How much more does the iron block weigh? And how much compression is too much for pump gas? I know these motors like compression and can get away with some higher compression on pump gas, but how high? Would 11.6 be too much?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

will need to drill and tap for alternator bolt if using in fbody
dcr and cam valve events are a major factor in how much compression ratio it will tolerate.
iron block weigh around 70lbs. more than ls1 (bare)
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Yes it is in a 2000 T/A. Thanks for the info. Haven't decided on a cam yet, figured I'd ask around and see who is the cam guru for LS1 stuff. I've never done the LS-thing before, I've done turbo sbc and n/a rat motors, but this stuff is new to me.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
Yes it is in a 2000 T/A. Thanks for the info. Haven't decided on a cam yet, figured I'd ask around and see who is the cam guru for LS1 stuff. I've never done the LS-thing before, I've done turbo sbc and n/a rat motors, but this stuff is new to me.
Patrick G and PredatorZ both spec cams specifically for your setup for a small charge I believe