(Possibly) Moving to Waco

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (Possibly) Moving to Waco

Ok, So sometime in the next two months, I am going to be taking a job interview in Waco TX. I am REASONABLY sure that I am going to get the job, and just wanted to do a little research into Waco.

One: My Camaro is !Cats, !EGR, !Air. Do I need to take care of that before moving to TX or is there a way around that in terms of the inspection?

Two: Where do I want to live in Waco? Or more specificly, where do I want to avoid living?

Three: Guns, what do I have to do to carry? Where can't I carry?

Four: Good bars, clubs, single women?

Any other advice?

Edit: I am not trying to put the cart before the horse, but this is the best lead I have going on a job right now, and I don't want to have like 2 weeks to do all this research.

Last edited by Injected1; 09-28-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Inspection: to pass you "need" all of that. Really depends on where you take it. I have passed with none of that on my car before. Yours is an OBDII so you will not have to go on the dyno or do the emissions side of the inspection. You could always buy your self a sticker...
GUNS: All you have to do is get your CHL. Witch consists of a one day class... Very easy to pass.

As for the other questions... I don't know Waco all that well.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"You could always buy your self a sticker... " I am just going to roll with an assumption on that one. I think I may just end-up selling the car before I leave FL.

Ok, so are they going to visually inspect or are they just going to connect to the OBDII and see if it is throwing an AIR/EGR/Cat code? Because I can pass that
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Like i said, depends on where you go. Most of the time they just pull it in and connect the machine to the OBDII. And if your not throwing and codes... YOU PASS!

Don't sell it!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

I live in Waco and can answer most of the questions.

Sounds like you may be interviewing with L3 Possibly? I have several friends that work there.

#1 We dont have emissions sniffer tests here so that wont be a major issue. I have heard of numerous "mod friendly" inspection locations here in Waco.

#2 most people live on the "outskirts" of Waco Hewitt, Woodway, McGregor, or other places out in the country like Crawford, China Spring, Speegleville. It just depends on where you prefer, where you work and what kinda drive you are comforterable with. There are some pretty cool new Loft type apartments down town but I'm not sure if you're looking for House or what.

#3 Just the normal CHL rules apply to this. You meet the Regs for the Texas license and your pretty much legal to carryeverywhere unless specifically noted.

#4 Baylor is here so there is a small nightlife scene. Nothing spectacular. But hey Dallas and Austin are 95 miles either direction so if you are a huge partier it's not that bad.

#5 Waco water sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It tastes horrible, plan on getting bottled water if you live in Waco city limits
Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks SOM, I was thinking of e-mailing nitrous outlet and seeing if they wouldn't mind pointing me towards a place for an inspection.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

I hang out with all those guys as well. The local car scene is pretty close knit around here so pretty much we all know everybody. Where are you interviewing? What kind of car do you have?

:edit: Nevermind I just read your sig
Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely look into living in Hewitt or Woodway. Both are really nice places to live. Nightlife is alright I guess lol. If somebody would just renovate downtown like 6th street in Austin it would be awesome lol. There are some places around here that will inspect your car.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am interviewing with SAIC as an Electrical Engineer.

99 Camaro Moser 12-Bolt w/3.90s and Full Bolt-Ons. Debating on a procharger or re-do suspension for road racing.

I wouldn't mind so much putting cats back on it, but an Intake swap for EGR and finding the air stuff would get kind of annoying.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update! Just got a call, I will be in waco 5&6 (maybe 7) Oct as it appears right now.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
I would definitely look into living in Hewitt or Woodway. Both are really nice places to live. Nightlife is alright I guess lol. If somebody would just renovate downtown like 6th street in Austin it would be awesome lol. There are some places around here that will inspect your car.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

If you do end up moving and putting road race suspension back on....there are 3 tracks withing 1 1/2 hours drive from here. If you are here on the 7th there are normally a couple of Wed. night gt togethers. Let us know.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be leaving Tues Afternoon or Wed Morning. BUT I will be looking for a place to eat monday and tuesday.

Suggestions?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Vitek's BBQ during the day Georges Is a good Waco Experience, pretty good Chicken Fried Steak, Se Cocina is some good mexican food...there are numerous little hole in the wall places as well
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got my travel arangements. Will be flying in about 5pm Monday, Rolling out at 2:45 tuesday.

Staying at the Hampton in Waco South. So I will have 5 hours monday night and probably 1 or 2 Tuesday afternoon.

Suggestions on where to spend my time?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Baylor has girls jogging around campus 24/7, FYI. I graduated last December but prefer Houston. If you drive around town, you will get a pretty good idea of which parts to live in for your lifestyle. The city is pretty chill and overall friendly.

My house (ghetto) was between campus and downtown. I personally didn't care that my neighbors were drug dealers and murderers because my frat house is pretty safe I found our local crackho in my house but politely told her to get out or get shot and that was that.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Injected1
Just got my travel arangements. Will be flying in about 5pm Monday, Rolling out at 2:45 tuesday.

Staying at the Hampton in Waco South. So I will have 5 hours monday night and probably 1 or 2 Tuesday afternoon.

Suggestions on where to spend my time?
How old are you? What do you do in your spare time? IIRC, Waco has the most museums per capita in TX. A little strip of bars and restaurants are at Franklin Dr and University Parks just NW of campus.

I suggest you drive west down N. Valley Mills Rd. then follow Lake Shore Dr. to see the lake. It will take you around Waco back up through Bellmead, then take I-35 S to check out Hewitt, then take Hewitt Dr back north to see Woodway. Round trip maybe 30-45 mins.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am 25. In my spare time, I do just about anything "legal" (No Drugs). Fast Cars, Few Beers, Computers, Fish, Boat, whatever.

I would like to get into some kind of "fun" sports. I wouldn't mind like flag football, or men's/mixed softball, or even some baseball. Also like to swim.

I am down to try just about anything. Don't get out of the house around here a lot because it's either clubs, drugs, or sand. Those things just aren't my style.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Waco has a place on La Salle with a one legged stripper. Pretty close to there is a bbq joint called Pop Walton's with a fried pork chop plate. One is def worth going, the other not as much.

If I were you, I would explore the city and surrounding areas to see if Waco is the place for you.

http://www.baylordrivingclub.com/forums/index.php is the Baylor Driving Club; where age, car status, lifestyle, job, etc have no meaning as long as you like things with wheels.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome link

LMAO about the one legged stripper...would be worth going if I could take pictures...no one would believe me.