Where can i get a full color change paint job

Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Where are you located in Houston? If you want you can come look at my car for comparisons. $1500 in supplies is just rediculous. Even a badass House of Kolor black wouldn't be near that in supplies, I looked into it for my car. I ended up only going single stage and I looks great, mine was only $350 total with the employee discount.
Come up and talk to the boss man and tell him what you want done and he can work you a deal
Just trying to save you some money man.

Now what if you get a scratch and want to buff it off? Ever done extensive buffing on a single stage paint job? If you have, I'm guessing your pad was a little black afterwards...that's because you can't just buff the clear coat. Eventually, every time you wax the car your applicator will turn black while you're applying the wax...and that's because you're slowly stripping off the paint

material cost is a certain price per hour of paint labor. at our place, we charge $32/hr for material. so if it pays 15 hours to refinish your car, you'll pay $480 ($32 X 15 hrs.) in just materials. i'm not saying 15 hrs is how long it takes, just giving you an example.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmgsix08
Now what if you get a scratch and want to buff it off? Ever done extensive buffing on a single stage paint job? If you have, I'm guessing your pad was a little black afterwards...that's because you can't just buff the clear coat. Eventually, every time you wax the car your applicator will turn black while you're applying the wax...and that's because you're slowly stripping off the paint

material cost is a certain price per hour of paint labor. at our place, we charge $32/hr for material. so if it pays 15 hours to refinish your car, you'll pay $480 ($32 X 15 hrs.) in just materials. i'm not saying 15 hrs is how long it takes, just giving you an example.
I wasn't planning on keeping the car very long, that's why I went with single stage. It wasn't worth the extra $400 since there isn't a whole lot of difference. Most people don't know what the **** I am talking about when I start talking about BC/CC or single stage so it isn't a big deal.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Go with Richey Collision. I have seen there work on here and they seem to do really nice work. For a quailty job on a full color change you will be looking at $6000 to be an average price. Materials alone will be close to $2000 for the quality you are wanting.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by posz28
Go to Metropolitan Collision...(832) 618-1700...They do body and paint...they work on lambos and exotics...talk to matt...tell him Joey sent you. Very good work.

Ha, if you ever want your car to look decent again, avoid this place. I had heard this too. Took my truck there after it was hit. It took them forever and I had to keep making them fix things. Every time they fixed one thing, the screwed something else up. The body panels didn't line up right. Eventually the owner told me he wasn't working on it anymore because it wasn't a BMW and the body panels weren't that close when new. I offered to show him pics from the day I brought it home and he told me he didn't care. Don't worry, they will charge you like it's an exotic though.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Teching In

I wasn't planning on keeping the car very long, that's why I went with single stage. It wasn't worth the extra $400 since there isn't a whole lot of difference. Most people don't know what the **** I am talking about when I start talking about BC/CC or single stage so it isn't a big deal.
What a great mentallity. And for the extra 400 bucks there is a big difference, who cares if other people know what you are talking about. If something is worth doing, its worth doing right, especially on something it sounds like you plan on flipping. Just my .02 don't be half ***.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tex7387
What a great mentallity. And for the extra 400 bucks there is a big difference, who cares if other people know what you are talking about. If something is worth doing, its worth doing right, especially on something it sounds like you plan on flipping. Just my .02 don't be half ***.
He is already trying to flip it for $10,000. Wouldn't you hate to pay $10,000 for a car with paint like that.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
dont paint it black if anything. ask anyone on this site that owns a black car. its a PITA, but it is the best looking color once its cleaned up. ask me how i know.
TRUTH!

-Mike
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a thought, but of instead of painting the underside of the Chassis the body color, why not spray it in undercoating, for a few reasons, 1) it'll be black anyways, 2) easier to clean dirt and grease off the underside as well as fluids, 3) less road noise, interior heat temps, and protects against corrosion......not to mention it looks 10x better than just a painted underside....JMO though, I did it to a few cars the cheap way, not to mention the floor pans in my 95 when I had the interior out..
Old 10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irbs
He is already trying to flip it for $10,000. Wouldn't you hate to pay $10,000 for a car with paint like that.
My friend has won plenty of car shows with this same paint job on a 79 Trans Am. As long as you take care of it, you shouldn't ever have any issues.

Plus when all you make is $100 a week, $400-$600 is a pretty big difference. I am happy with it and that's all that matters. I worked my paint job off, so if I would have done BC/CC, I wouldn't have been paid for like 2+ months.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

ok first i skipped thru alot of this thread but lets get some things strait. A REAL QUALITY PAINT JOB THAT WILL LAST THE 10 PLUS YEAR IS NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP PERIOD. i know everyone knows joe blow who can paint the car for 200 bucks and and promise all kinds of ****. my ole man has been doing this for around 35 years and has seen pretty much all of it. no **** true story chip foose was looking at a car at a good guys a few years ago and said "wow the quality of the paint job on this is impressive" it was a 32 ford coupe my ole man did.

Iv been around this for all of my very short life iv lived so far and i know a thing or 2 and il say this. a full color change on my 95 T/A from white to a base red PPG color ran me 1k in materials alone and i got my clear, reducers and other **** from my ole man for free. If i bought it all it would have been somewhere around 2300 bucks. i know i know "i own a shop and use ppg thats high what were you using?" the gallon of red was 700 bucks so thats why it was high.

BY MYSELF working at a decent pace i took the car from complete to tear down/pain to complete again in 20 days. Given you have a crew you can have it done in a week with ease. labor is gonna kick your *** something fierce. 6k for a paint job done the correct way with it pulled apart sounds pretty good to me. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHANCES AT THE CHEAP PLACE PLEASE YOU WILL BE PISSED IN 2YRS WHEN THE CLEAR STARTS TO HAZE AND PEEL OFF YOUR HOOD.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Teching In

single stage is pretty cool but like any other paint product its used for certin things like show cars that are not gonna get jacked with too much. i used PPG single stage on a plane i painted 7 years ago and it still looks like it just got painted.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

caliente misses the black car eh?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yikes, after reading this thread. No offense, but Is it really worth $4-6k to paint a 4th gen F-body?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ulySSes
Yikes, after reading this thread. No offense, but Is it really worth $4-6k to paint a 4th gen F-body?
i aslo whole heartedly agree with this
Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Too bad you didn't have $5,500 a month ago, "Imlooking" just sold his BLACK WS6 clone for that much and is very clean inside, out and strong running motor.

[

QUOTE=coolguy;12307492]ok im not buying another car. i never set a price limit so 6k is around what i figured. Im set on black thanks for the opinions on that but im gonna paint the car the color i like you know lol. the under belly i want done to, doesn't have to be anything like the body just ur standard underside paint job for a black car. ohh and i want to use ppg paint only and best quality clear coat. so theres something to work with. also lets say i take all the glass out myself and interior panels just for conversation sake then what are we looking at??[/QUOTE]
Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firechicken1995
ok first i skipped thru alot of this thread but lets get some things strait. A REAL QUALITY PAINT JOB THAT WILL LAST THE 10 PLUS YEAR IS NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP PERIOD. i know everyone knows joe blow who can paint the car for 200 bucks and and promise all kinds of ****. my ole man has been doing this for around 35 years and has seen pretty much all of it. no **** true story chip foose was looking at a car at a good guys a few years ago and said "wow the quality of the paint job on this is impressive" it was a 32 ford coupe my ole man did.

Iv been around this for all of my very short life iv lived so far and i know a thing or 2 and il say this. a full color change on my 95 T/A from white to a base red PPG color ran me 1k in materials alone and i got my clear, reducers and other **** from my ole man for free. If i bought it all it would have been somewhere around 2300 bucks. i know i know "i own a shop and use ppg thats high what were you using?" the gallon of red was 700 bucks so thats why it was high.

BY MYSELF working at a decent pace i took the car from complete to tear down/pain to complete again in 20 days. Given you have a crew you can have it done in a week with ease. labor is gonna kick your *** something fierce. 6k for a paint job done the correct way with it pulled apart sounds pretty good to me. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHANCES AT THE CHEAP PLACE PLEASE YOU WILL BE PISSED IN 2YRS WHEN THE CLEAR STARTS TO HAZE AND PEEL OFF YOUR HOOD.
I agree with you 100%!
I want something that in 10 years will still look like new. im trying to see if i can get some good estimates on here, that's what the basis of this thread is pretty much for me. Also of course to also see who to avoid!

For the people telling me its not worth it, who are you?? lol is this your money or time your spending??? Keep those kind of comments to yourselves. Actually the people who wasted my time and there's to write those posts owe me 5 seconds each of my life back (even you satan ).

Last edited by John98LS1; 10-06-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where can i get a full color change paint job