1979 Firebird Formula (NO TITLE)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Might want to check and see if it was stolen before paying anything for it.
Will a car fax show me this or where do I have to go?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carfax will show

Theft
Repo
Fire
Flood
Accident History
How many times it was titled
How many titles it has printed for it before i finally got lost etc.

Start there and see what it says about it.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Carfax didn't exist back then so I doubt you would find anything there. Get the VIN and call the motor vehicle registration office near you.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Carfax didn't exist back then so I doubt you would find anything there. Get the VIN and call the motor vehicle registration office near you.
That's what I was wondering because I tried doing the same for a older chevy truck and said I was missing like 2 or 3 digits and was never able to get info on why. I'll have to try that then.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got the vin from him, I will be headed to the registration place tomorrow. Is there any way to do it online?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zamora7
Well I already commited to the car and I'm looking forward to it.
Didn't you get a 78 camaro or something? Yes 77 are sweet, I might just do the front end conversion on it with the straight single headlisghts like the one from year one. 78ta.com here I come. As far as motor goes I'm thinking about putting a ls1 in it or 5.3.
Yeah, I just got a 73.. Just finally got it to stop leaking gas everywhere and it runs great. Only need to do a few small things to get it on the road.

A 5.3 would be your best bet, everyone charges stupid prices for LS1's. A stroker or turbo'd 400 would be sweet.
The year one headlights are out of an 88 chevy truck or something..

Since the motor is already out I would go ahead and pull the front clip off and clean it all up and paint it..

Also you can get the vin checked at a police station..
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Don't start with a 5.3 base. I was gonna build a 5.3 for my truck but I decided against it. You should either start ls1 5.7 or lq9 6.0. If you want to save some money why not go BBC? There is nothing like have a BBC under the hood. I mean ls1's are cool but the car I'd old school so keep it old school.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irbs
Don't start with a 5.3 base. I was gonna build a 5.3 for my truck but I decided against it. You should either start ls1 5.7 or lq9 6.0. If you want to save some money why not go BBC? There is nothing like have a BBC under the hood. I mean ls1's are cool but the car I'd old school so keep it old school.
Well I'm not a big fan of carbed motors to begin with and I like idea of modern technology in an old school car. If i don't find an ls1 I'll probably go lq4 or lq9.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Yeah, I just got a 73.. Just finally got it to stop leaking gas everywhere and it runs great. Only need to do a few small things to get it on the road.

A 5.3 would be your best bet, everyone charges stupid prices for LS1's. A stroker or turbo'd 400 would be sweet.
The year one headlights are out of an 88 chevy truck or something..

Since the motor is already out I would go ahead and pull the front clip off and clean it all up and paint it..

Also you can get the vin checked at a police station..
I think they use the 97 body style lights on the year one car.

I didn't know they can check vin at the police station. Is that just to find out if it's stolen or what?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they use the 97 body style lights on the year one car.

I didn't know they can check vin at the police station. Is that just to find out if it's stolen or what?
Yup, I ran my 70 GTO at the police station to make sure it wasn't stolen..

And I wasn't sure what year the lights were lol, but they are project lights off some year truck. Also get some LED tail lights.

If you don't mind, what's your budget to work with?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I guess I'll try the police station. I haven't set a budget but I plan on doing most of the work if not all of it. Like I said it will be mostly interior work and motor and tranny set up.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I emailed the TxDMV and told them the situation. The response was basically do not buy the car if the owner doesn't have access to a title bla, bla.

So I called them this morning and asked them what could be done about the car and she asked for vin and apparently is not stolen . So about the title, first option was to get a hold of the actual registered owner by filling out a form online, print it and mail it. Second, bonded title, which I would have to pay 1.5 times the value of the car in excellent conditio even if its thrashe, screw that. Third, she told me I can go to court, talk to a judge and request a court order title.
I also asked about the abandoned title and she said there is no such thing. So hopefully today after work I can head out to court and see what I can do. Hopefully I get lucky and judge gets me a title.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

So I emailed the TxDMV and told them the situation. The response was basically do not buy the car if the owner doesn't have access to a title bla, bla.

So I called them this morning and asked them what could be done about the car and she asked for vin and apparently is not stolen . So about the title, first option was to get a hold of the actual registered owner by filling out a form online, print it and mail it. Second, bonded title, which I would have to pay 1.5 times the value of the car in excellent conditio even if its thrashe, screw that. Third, she told me I can go to court, talk to a judge and request a court order title.
I also asked about the abandoned title and she said there is no such thing. So hopefully today after work I can head out to court and see what I can do. Hopefully I get lucky and judge gets me a title.
Good luck. I had a hard time getting my 69 Camaro titled and registered properly because the guy that had it before me never transfered the title or registered it from the previous owner. First thing to do on these older cars is to verify the VIN against the title and make sure it wasn't reported stolen. My 69 sat for 9 years untitled from out of state, whatta pain in the butt that was.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well hot rod apparently the car is not stolen because I gave the vin to the lady I talked to from TxDMV and didn't say anything about being stole, she only asked the name of the seller but I told her that it was not going to match. I tried going to the court like she told me but they said they don't do that and they sent me to the registration place which was closed.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got a name and address to whom the title is registered to. The funny thing is that when I read the zip code, same as mine, wow! The street, two minustes from my house, lol. I went to the address but no one answered the door. I'm going to keep trying until someone answers.
Does anybody know where I can go online and search his name? I want to try things like myspace, facebook, etc. Even the phonebook...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Well, here's another thought: I have a 1980 Trans Am that I need to junk. Clear New York State title. You could buy my car and transfer the vin tags to yours. Yes, I know, not quite legal, but whatever. Car is missing its front fenders, hood "flew" 100 yards during Hurricane Ike, and the rear quarters are rotted. But, factory WS6 car, black with red interior. 301 4BBl. Yeah!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Well, here's another thought: I have a 1980 Trans Am that I need to junk. Clear New York State title. You could buy my car and transfer the vin tags to yours. Yes, I know, not quite legal, but whatever. Car is missing its front fenders, hood "flew" 100 yards during Hurricane Ike, and the rear quarters are rotted. But, factory WS6 car, black with red interior. 301 4BBl. Yeah!!
Well that's another option, you have pictures. I was going to try to do the same with another shell I'd seen on austin craigslist and transfer all the good stuff to the other one but he said that it was not worth the hassle because it was completelty rusted through. How much are you askinf for it? What would it cost to transfer a new york title to a texas title?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Does it have T-Tops? Any pics?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey penguin he asked me, damn it!

By the way Bad2000TA you have a PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol I don't have any money anyways. Already committed to my Camaro..

You shouldn't have a hard time finding parts in San Antonio, my uncle lives around new branfules and there are classic cars coming out it's *** over there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 Firebird Formula (NO TITLE)