Airline gurus--houston

Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airline gurus--houston

I'm trying to plan a trip to see a gf in New York and I was curious as to what was the cheapest time from now to summer to book a flight. I know it's not cheap but I love to save if I can. Thanks guys
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as far in advance as possible......the longer you wait to the date you want to fly will cost you more.....I never had a problem with the cost though...all I do is make a call to my dad, sister or one of my uncles that work for Southwest and ask for a pass...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time of year not so much, time of week makes more of a difference. Leaving Wed-Fri is usually cheaper, while getting back on Mon or Tues is usually cheaper.

I'm flying to St Thomas in April and I saved 250 bucks on two tickets by coming back on Monday instead of Sunday. Then again St. Thomas is completely different than flying to NY. Always fly Continental out of Houston b/c it is one of their Hubs.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

I work for an airline, shop all the travel sites, call to make the resevations there might be a cheaper rate remenber there is a differance between nonstop and a direct flight, make the flight for weekdays,and off times so not on or around holidays or spring break, make sure your bage will fit in the bin, eat before getting to the airport, go to the bathroom before getting on the plane and on SouthWest Airlines bags are free.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Booking in advance does not always yield a lower rate. Several times I have flown to vegas in less than 6 hours notice and it actually was cheaper than booking a week before. That all depends on utilization rates. NY is a popular route though, so you should just do what everyone else mentioned and go at a weird time...don't leave Friday and don't come back Monday. Those two things alone could save you a few hundred dollars. Add on a stopover and do it super early or late at night and you might save more. Double check though - sometimes they will add 8 hours of travel time for $40 less. Sometimes it is worth it to pay a bit more if it means you aren't twiddling your thumbs in Omaha or something for 5 hours in between.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Just take Southwest and call it a day. The only airline that I like to use to fly domestically.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
LS7 Member

I'm going to Vegas this week and am flying Continental for the first time in 3-4 years. It was actually cheaper than Southwest for some reason.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks, i always use southwest the few times i have flown, it's a basic flight... it's cheap fast and the last southwest plane to go down was back in like 90 or early 80's... lmao on my last flight back in there was this 25 yr old that was pretty bangin during take off she was holding on to the arm rest like no other, and drank prob like 3-4 mini bottles of vodka or whatever it was and was just very restless and scared, i was coming from san diego... we finally asked her and she gave us the low down on every airline and they're record and said that southwest was the best.... lol i thought it was pretty funny!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think sw flies to new york only continental
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

check jetblu ...flew them to NY,in sept was by far the cheapest...
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Uh southwest never had a plane go down. They didn't even have any incidents in the 80's or 90's. And they fly to long island.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
I'm trying to plan a trip to see a gf in New York and I was curious as to what was the cheapest time from now to summer to book a flight. I know it's not cheap but I love to save if I can. Thanks guys
Southwest Airlines flies to Laguardia (NYC - Queens). We just flew (on Southwest) there this past October. We left out of Hobby and the tickets were very affordable. Go to www.southwest.com and you can view the flight times/schedule to Laguardia Airport.

Last edited by -Ross-; 02-02-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys obviously i havent been doing my hw, ill look into sw and jetblu

Search this Thread