Can someone help me with gun buying info???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can someone help me with gun buying info???

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying a few guns for sport shooting and home protection but I really have no experience in buying a gun. Basically I want to know what all I need to do. I know they do background checks and mine will come up clean so that's not an issue. I'm looking into the Smith and Wesson M&P 15. It's S&W's version of the AR-15. I'm also looking into a few pistols they have but haven't decided what I want just yet. I also don't know where around where I live to find this stuff (The Colony). I don't know who has good shop and who has what. I found a place online that has good prices on the guns I'm looking at but they need to be shipped. I know they don't ship guns to houses so I'm also curious as to how it works shipping a gun to an FFL and how I pick it up. I want to make sure they'll let me pick it up before I order one. Do I have to go to the dealer and tell them I'm having a gun shipped to them? I'm a gun buying newb so all the info you can give me I'll take. Thanks guys.

Zach
Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find an FFL dealer near you. Call them and make sure they will recieve guns from outside sales (most do). They all have different ways about recieving guns. Most will give you their ffl license number to give to the seller in order to verify they are an actual dealer. The seller will then ship the gun to the ffl dealer, where you must then go in and fill out the transfer paper work and only then will they release the gun to you. Be prepared to pay a fee for the transfer. I've seen anywhere from $15-$50.

Hope that helps
Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

if you're buying new guns, most stores will have approx the same prices. The S&W15 is pretty mainstream, so it should be available at the big stores, so just keep an eye open for sales.

for used guns, your best bet is gun shows. sometimes new guys are cheaper at gun shows too, cuz they have less overhead.

ammo prices suuuuuuuck right now. they have gone up 2-4x in the last 4-5 years. online and gun shows are your best bets for those. check out sites like ammoman.com, especially for military calibers.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

home defense = shotgun
Gun shows are your friend. You will pay more at most shops i promise.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Keep the info coming guys I'm trying to learn all I can. I'll probably end up with a shotgun as well but I'm really looking into the others first.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Cheaper than dirt in Fort Worth. Not close, but decent prices (usualy way cheaper than Bass Pro or Cabela's) and huge selection. Also, if you are interested in Military guns, Military Gun Supply has a unique selection, as well as the usual stuff.

Most important thing, make sure the gun fits you, IE, it fits your hand and feels natural. Or in a rifle/shotgun, make sure you can shoulder it quickly and smoothly. Sometimes you will find a brand or model that just doesnt feel right. Dont just pick something just because its cool, or everyone else likes it. Do your reasearch and you should be fine.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a Remington 870 pump, full size, for about 200. I then purchased different stock, short barrel, fore-grip, and mag extender for about 160. This is the best of both worlds, i leave it in the shortened (defense) form for around the house, and still have the ability to go out dove or quail hunting.

I highly recommend a shotgun for home defense. I buy all my guns (and i've been through a lot) through gunbroker and have them shipped to a private FFL. This is the cheapest way to do it.

Otherwise, good info in this thread.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Launching!

I use a Mossberg 500 breacher 12ga pump for home defense. Added a 6 round side saddle and a Knox spec ops stock that reduces recoil so that my wife can use it without issue.

I've built many AR's with deals I've found on the ar15 forum. I've also bought several handguns off budsguns in the used gun section for dirt.

Some of my rigs.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whichever gun you do choose make sure you see it and handle it in person to see if you really like it. I'd rather buy in a store for firearms rather than online even if I have to pay a little more.

I'd recommend using a 12 gauge shotgun or a large caliber pistol. I didn't buy my guns specifically for home defense but they will still do the job if I ever have to use them.