a little reminder on how quick things can change

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a little reminder on how quick things can change

id like to take some time and just remind everyone on how quick **** can turn and you end up with a real bad problem on your hands...

first off, i take full responsability on this.....it was a careless act.....i fucked up and did something stupid....i did not barrel check my rifle...

i was putting a new grip on my AR and after i was finished i "dry fired" it....to my surprise...there was one in the chamber....

threw my couch

threw the carpet

into the concrete

i thank god, that i didnt get hurt or hurt anyone else....i know i will catch some ****, but its ok...as long as someone is a bit more careful than i was
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

at least no one was hurt
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

complacency kills. good that noone was hurt.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is why we can't have nice things..

Seriously though **** happens dude, we all **** up. Just thank God that you are still alive and learn from your mistakes.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not the only one to make mistakes like that.

I was reloading bullets for a new .22-.250 that had a custom trigger job done to it. I was testing the bullets seating depth with a live round and it fired off when I closed the chamber. It went though a file cabinet and lodged in the wall. I intentionally aimed it in that direction, but never expected it to go off. I'd done it many times before, but never after that. It was a stupid mistake, but no one got hurt and I learned that the safety on a rifle doesn't always work when it's on.

I'm glad nothing bad happened and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

lucky to still have your twig and berries attached lol. Have you changed your shorts yet? Glad you didn't hurt yourself or others. Lesson learned for sure and you are brave to post this up. Maybe it will keep someone else from doing it.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

yikes! glad no one got hurt. that's why the first rule of handling guns is to always treat them as if they are loaded, and point in a safe direction when handling.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Good thing nobody got hurt. Not near as bad as when I was younger, I had a coupple buddies over and we were all in the kitchen with my Dad, who pulled out his derringer pistol and accidently dropped it, and it went off. We were all checking ourselves to see if it had hit us. Fortunately it just went through the cabinet and killed the toaster.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

The couch is replaceable. Good thing your ok, and i bet you never forget to check again. Did you wake the neighbors?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Good thing nobody got hurt. Not near as bad as when I was younger, I had a coupple buddies over and we were all in the kitchen with my Dad, who pulled out his derringer pistol and accidently dropped it, and it went off. We were all checking ourselves to see if it had hit us. Fortunately it just went through the cabinet and killed the toaster.
That fugin toaster had it coming lol. I bet it never burned your toast again after that!! That's funny now that nobody was hurt.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've ever looked at a hole in the ceiling while hearing the words "I told you it was loaded!" you might be a redneck - Jeff foxworthy

seriously though, that sucks dude.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
That fugin toaster had it coming lol. I bet it never burned your toast again after that!! That's funny now that nobody was hurt.
that is pretty funny about the toaster... lol but yeah we all make mistakes and like said above the couch is replaceable and a life is not...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Damn, I know exactly what you are feeling. 2 years ago me, my friend and his dad were out shooting and I, like a fn dumbass, dryfired my .45 in the process of reloading. Good thing I was just checking it down and away, my friend was downrange and everything. Wheew, I will never ever ever forget that day. On the lighter side my buddy is a big sucker so I might have actually hit his ***. Glad you're ok
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

hey, at least you knew not to point the barrel in a direction that would be dangerous.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

a few years ago i was cleaning and oiling my 12 guage, i was in oiling the tube magazine by coating live rounds with oil, shoving them in there and cycling them out of the gun, they were 3 inch High Velocity 1oz slugs. long story short, the bolt broke and when the action slammed shut it set one off. in my apartment. went through 2 walls and into the neighbors apt, blew a door in half went across his livingroom through the wall and out of the building into the woods. To this day i thank god nobody got hurt, ive never been so terrified in my life.

Live And Learn
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Teching In

At least you didn't take a finger off. Trust me... thats a bad day!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

A friend of mine sent me a video of a kid trying to see why his paintball gun was jammed. You guessed it. Looked down the barrel and pulled the trigger. Hopefully, he isn't blind now.

It got me thinking, though. Sometimes, when working on cars or working around the house, I reach just a little farther than I should. Or put the ladder in a bad spot. Or put my head under the tire while tugging really hard to get a bolt loosened. Those are the times I stop and think, 'Wait. This is a bad idea.'

Unfortunately, you had that moment AFTER the accident. Fortunately, you were smart and lucky enough to have the gun pointed in a direction where nobody got hurt.

Bet you never make that mistake again!

-Mike
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

I always open the bolt and look for light at the end of the barrel if I cant feel for the round. Wierdest thing firearm related ive had personally happen to myself is a round rupturing in a 303 enfield. Glasses saved me at the time.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was like 13, we would always go dove hunting. One day after we came back, I was unloading my .410 shotgun, and thought all the bullets were out, and shot into the air and made a hole in the roof. There was a lot of people around and it made me feel like a jackass, lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
a few years ago i was cleaning and oiling my 12 guage, i was in oiling the tube magazine by coating live rounds with oil, shoving them in there and cycling them out of the gun, they were 3 inch High Velocity 1oz slugs. long story short, the bolt broke and when the action slammed shut it set one off. in my apartment. went through 2 walls and into the neighbors apt, blew a door in half went across his livingroom through the wall and out of the building into the woods. To this day i thank god nobody got hurt, ive never been so terrified in my life.

Live And Learn
That'll teach 'em for playing their stereo too loud!!!!