After working at a job for over a yr, still haven't gotten a raise. What would you do

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After working at a job for over a yr, still haven't gotten a raise. What would you do

Well I've been working at GSMYC here in San Marcos since early Feb of last year. It's a children shelter here in San Marcos for kids that don't have families, are runaways, or parents are in jail etc etc. Anyways, I started out at $8.50 an hour, which wasn't bad. But now its a yr later, and minimum wage is $7.25 now, so I'm barely over minimum wage. I've talked with them a few times during the past couple months, and they keep saying they don't have the money to do it. Yet I know all the other workers are getting paid more than I am. Even though my boss tells me all the time how she "loves how I actually care about the kids" and that I "do alot for the kids" etc etc. I just don't feel like I'm appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I love the job. I get paid to play games, play sports, watch movies etc. And once the kids go to bed at 9-10, I can study. What do you guys think I should do? I only work 1-2 a week, so its not like I'm banking, just wouldn't mind some recognition.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this your primary job?

If you want more money and they won't provide it, then start looking for another job. If you are in it to try and help the kids out, then stay.

They have already told you they won't give you more money. The only choice is to stay or leave.

Unless I was 16 or 17, I wouldn't settle for that much. Really, if you are over 20 and have some work experience, I wouldn't settle for less than $15/hour. Thats just me. I don't know you or what your situation is, but this is definitely something you need to decide for yourself.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Like my company is telling us "with the way the economy is now your lucky to have a job". I hate it when they say that but it's probably true.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

They honestly probably don't have the money right now. Stick it out if its what you want to do, but start looking for other options.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

government funding is the problem, I would ASSuME. They probably don't have the money. Stay or leave is about the only option. Check your priorities and see whats what.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Is this your primary job?

If you want more money and they won't provide it, then start looking for another job. If you are in it to try and help the kids out, then stay.

They have already told you they won't give you more money. The only choice is to stay or leave.

Unless I was 16 or 17, I wouldn't settle for that much. Really, if you are over 20 and have some work experience, I wouldn't settle for less than $15/hour. Thats just me. I don't know you or what your situation is, but this is definitely something you need to decide for yourself.
Yeah it's my primary job. I go to school full time, so working isn't a huge priority to me right now. It's a really relaxed job, so I enjoy it. I'll be done in August, so I'm thinking about just staying with it. Just never worked somewhere for this long without getting some sort of raise, not used to it.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

like ELITE HOT ROD said....just be glad you have a job...alot of pple are out of work cause of the economy
Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Just never worked somewhere for this long without getting some sort of raise, not used to it.
Your in the wrong field , You should do it and like it not because of recognition

Edit : plus its hard to have a job now. I had to down size my staff this year
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Have leverage before you go back to discuss a raise again. Have some other options as far as jobs go.

.....or have one of your friends call your boss like he is asking for references for you, giving your boss the impression that you are looking for something else and have gone as far as interviewing with someone. Then talk to them about a raise. If you are good, needed and worth the extra $$$ they will find it.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your a student quit and get a bar job. You can make double that just working the door. I made 20-40 an hour bartending through college. Currently I pickup shifts on 6th (already have a career) and can make 200 a night.

But if you like it, non profit jobs are extremely difficult to get a raises. Is this a paid internship?

Last edited by redz_02; 03-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You work 1-2 days a week. I'm pretty sure you're the only one losing sleep over it at that place..lol. Just putting it in perspective for you. If you are easily replaced you won't have any luck with raises.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

just be glad you have a job...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

In May I make 20 years on my current job, last year was not the first and I am afraid not the last time, we were not given raises due to the economy, its a sign of the times, I hate to say this but at least you have a job.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I worked at a private school for 9 years and it was beneficial up until our daughter went to kindergarten because I didnt have to pay daycare. But I started at 7 an hour and after 4 years got up to 9 and all the stress and hours I didnt feel appreciated the only thing that made it awesome was the kids and how much they looked up to me, knowing them since they were in diapers. You have to think is it easier to find something else that will work around the school, and hours that you are putting in etc...verses trying to find a job the way things are right now and being in a small town too. If you are cool with your boss go in a sit down with her and just talk to her and tell her how you feel. Thats what I did. The first time was for my raise and the last time was when I put in my notice to change my career path.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Launching!

It's not that bad if u just twittle your thumbs while ure there. If u don't like the pay, look for something else.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt quit if I was you, looks like you have a pretty flexible shift there with being able to study after they go to bed. Yes you can go get another job but you also have to consider are you going to be able to have a relaxed environment and study + only work 2 days a week. If you go to another company and ask for more money ... you might get it but are they going to make you work more ? give you time to study? plus just relax?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Pimp

3 years for me with no raise. (Maxed out)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Yeah it's my primary job. I go to school full time, so working isn't a huge priority to me right now. It's a really relaxed job, so I enjoy it. I'll be done in August, so I'm thinking about just staying with it. Just never worked somewhere for this long without getting some sort of raise, not used to it.
Just stay with what you've got. If you've only got a few months of school left, you don't want to deal with a distraction like a new job.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife worked for 10 years at the same place, got good raises, probably to many of them. She got laid off last April, still hasn't found a job. Money is running low with 2 house payments, truck and trailer payment and her youngest is still in high school. If it is something you like to do, stick with it. Especially if you only have till August.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like you have a good job. You enjoy it, youre not stressed or overwhelmed. The pay isnt good but how hard are you working? If I was you, so close to finishing my degree, Id stick with it. What happen to those awesome wheels you had last year? I saw you yesterday pumping gas on Hopkins and Moore St. I was, of course, on Medic 2.