This could be a stupid question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This could be a stupid question....

Hi, I was wondering, is there any emissions testing or anything like that in Houston? I'm wondering, because it's a good possibility that I'm going to be attending SAM, and currently drive a truck with longtubes and no cats. I have the cats tuned out in the pcm and everything, though.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

if its tuned out it wont matter
Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_husk
Hi, I was wondering, is there any emissions testing or anything like that in Houston? I'm wondering, because it's a good possibility that I'm going to be attending SAM, and currently drive a truck with longtubes and no cats. I have the cats tuned out in the pcm and everything, though.
google is your friend

you will have to pass a visiual inspection as well.

So if you get a picky inspector you will still fail due to no cats. There are places you can go that don't care... Just search the forums. This gets brought up 10 times a week.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

If you go over to Pasadena, you can find about 50 shops that will pass you for a little extra...
Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

My truck is tagged as a Kansas truck, do I still need to get it inspected? Didn't think to mention that at first.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

pretty sure its based on the regulations in the county the vehicle is registered. Harris county is an emissions county so if the car is registered out of harris county you should be ok. just get the bish inspected before you come down
Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Postman
pretty sure its based on the regulations in the county the vehicle is registered. Harris county is an emissions county so if the car is registered out of harris county you should be ok. just get the bish inspected before you come down
Where I'm at, you don't even have to have yearly inspections. Only time I've had to have my truck inspected is after I bought it in Missouri, and brought it back to be tagged in Ks.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

alright well if you don't need one there don't worry about it here, just tell them you're from Kansas and Texas laws don't effect your truck because its registered in Kansas
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

alright well if you don't need one there don't worry about it here, just tell them you're from Kansas and Texas laws don't effect your truck because its registered in Kansas
Sweet! Thanks.

BTW, can I PM you a question about SAM?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slash8915
If you go over to Pasadena, you can find about 50 shops that will pass you for a little extra...
I used to think that too until I took my wife's car on Saturday, this guy was going to fail me because I wouldn't buy windshield wipers from him. I almost whooped his *** but I had my kids with me. I hate when people try to screw folks that just don't know any better.

[/rant]
Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_husk
Sweet! Thanks.

BTW, can I PM you a question about SAM?
yea man go ahead
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the local cops see you around enough and you don't register the vehicle to the county of residence, they will harass you. They will pull you over because of your tags, figure out where you live, if the vehicle is registered properly at that address, and then figure out if it is inspected according to the registered county.

You should be OK as long as you tell them that your permanent address is still in Kansas, and you do not come down here enough to warrant registering the vehicle. Happened to a few buddies of mine. They all just got warnings, but were harassed all the time. Just to give you a heads up...
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
If the local cops see you around enough and you don't register the vehicle to the county of residence, they will harass you. They will pull you over because of your tags, figure out where you live, if the vehicle is registered properly at that address, and then figure out if it is inspected according to the registered county.

You should be OK as long as you tell them that your permanent address is still in Kansas, and you do not come down here enough to warrant registering the vehicle. Happened to a few buddies of mine. They all just got warnings, but were harassed all the time. Just to give you a heads up...
he speaks the truth.

Honestly if you end up living in the apartments that are close to the school you shouldn't have too much of a problem man.

My room mate was from West Virginia and never had a inspection sticker, even got hit twice and had to deal with cops and not having an inspection sticker was never brought up.

once you tell them you're there for school they are pretty calm about it.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1

he speaks the truth.

Honestly if you end up living in the apartments that are close to the school you shouldn't have too much of a problem man.

My room mate was from West Virginia and never had a inspection sticker, even got hit twice and had to deal with cops and not having an inspection sticker was never brought up.

once you tell them you're there for school they are pretty calm about it.
Sweet, thanks guys!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow96z
I used to think that too until I took my wife's car on Saturday, this guy was going to fail me because I wouldn't buy windshield wipers from him. I almost whooped his *** but I had my kids with me. I hate when people try to screw folks that just don't know any better.

[/rant]

You know, someone else told me that too. I wonder if it was the same guy.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow96z

[/rant]
Call and report that place to the state. I had a guy try to fail me because my steering wheel was not stock. This was on an 81 CJ7. It had a Grant GT wheel on it. He went pulled it in his shop, hopped out, and told me he couldn't pass it because of that. He told me I would have to pay the lady up front though because he "performed" an inspection. I told him to show me the guideline in his book about a stock steering wheel being required. I told him I wasn't paying and he kept giviing me hell saying he would call the cops. I went home and google the state agency that governs inspections. When I called they told me they had several complaints about the guy. A year later I drove by and that place no longer did inspections and was dead. I guess they finally shut that racket down.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

if your going to school here they passed a new law that says you don't have to change plates. Where did I read that at.....