2000 Silverado Tailgate Handle Bezel Theft

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Silverado Tailgate Handle Bezel Theft

I'm sure a few of you Chevy fans drive Silverados. My mother has a 2000 model that she bought new. Great truck.
Went home this evening and she told me how she went to Freight Harbor last week and her and my dad noticed the bezel on her tailgate had been ripped off.
My parents concluded that some dumbass used a pencil to pry it off. They had looked inside the little slot where the handle is, and saw a broken pencil inside.
Mom is really pissed since she tries to take really good care of her truck, and of course, when people jack with your crap, it's gonna make you mad.
Here's what the part looks like:

Anyone know where I can pick one up for her?
She's told me that there's a newer model Silverado a few houses down and she's noticed it too is missing the piece.
Driving around town we've noticed it seems like a good majority of chevy trucks are missing these pieces. Coincidence?
Anyone know of some new black market NEED for these parts?? haha.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol those brake all the time
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

That piece is missing on all three of my duramaxes and my neighbor's 1500.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Next thing u know they will be jacking BK fries at the drive thru......
Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

lol gets stolen as often as sideview mirror glass in south houston.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97camaross
lol those brake all the time
What they said..
My dads 08 Duramax broke the other day, but for some reason my 05 duramax won't break.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
I'm sure a few of you Chevy fans drive Silverados. My mother has a 2000 model that she bought new. Great truck.
Went home this evening and she told me how she went to Freight Harbor last week and her and my dad noticed the bezel on her tailgate had been ripped off.
My parents concluded that some dumbass used a pencil to pry it off. They had looked inside the little slot where the handle is, and saw a broken pencil inside.
Mom is really pissed since she tries to take really good care of her truck, and of course, when people jack with your crap, it's gonna make you mad.

She's told me that there's a newer model Silverado a few houses down and she's noticed it too is missing the piece.
Driving around town we've noticed it seems like a good majority of chevy trucks are missing these pieces. Coincidence?
I just bought a 2006 Silverado about 2 months ago .....I did all my research on the truck first before I bought the truck and noticed that on almost every Silverado I looked at had that piece missing. So I started to read up on them and came across a lock that stops them from not only getting the cap but also to prevent them from stealing your tail gate.

I paid like $25 or $30 for it.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is broke on my truck... i wouldnt worry about it to much... so many trucks dont have it, it's like it's suppose to be that way.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
mine is broke on my truck... i wouldnt worry about it to much... so many trucks dont have it, it's like it's suppose to be that way.
lol That would drive me nuts
Old 04-27-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like **** without it. Why do people steal them, and how do they break? I cant imagine that piece breaking unless you get rear ended.
I need to find a replacement. Online I see them cheap, but shipping is ridiculous. I'll look into that locking one. I saw those on a Tundra just earlier.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I don't have one, the only one I have is for a Tacoma or something. If I find one I I'll let you know.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I just bought a 2006 Silverado about 2 months ago .....I did all my research on the truck first before I bought the truck and noticed that on almost every Silverado I looked at had that piece missing. So I started to read up on them and came across a lock that stops them from not only getting the cap but also to prevent them from stealing your tail gate.

I paid like $25 or $30 for it.
Same thing I have.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I've broken 2 of them on mine. Gotta love GM quality of some stuff. I'm not replacing it with another GM part.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well mine broke because my tailgate handle was sticking and was getting hard to open, so my dad decided hey lets pop this little sucker off and spray down with wd-40... he had good intentions but bad execution... long story short he ended up breaking one of the locking tabs off and the other was cracked, i kept it on as i didnt like it not on like other trucks... well on my way home from the frio river and i have a small ice chest on top of all my **** with a bungee cord holding it down, well the wind took it and the bungee cord held it attatched to my truck but it swung and hit my tailgate and murdered my handle bezel... so that is how mine broke, im sure others have interesting stories on how theirs broke too...

EDIT: i have this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Teching In

mine got stolen from me at work. there are scratches in the paint from where a screwdriver probably got shoved behind it.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by c0rey
mine got stolen from me at work. there are scratches in the paint from where a screwdriver probably got shoved behind it.
I'm glad there wasn't any visible damage from where they popped hers off. Sorry to hear about yours. What is it about these things that people want them for?
I'm pricing them on ebay now. Not too terrible, but the ones for the lock and then the locks for them sure are pricey. Gotta see what route she's gonna want to take.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

You can get them from any NAPA auto parts store for less than $10. It's not worth stealing but thieves don't know it.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50014+2014021
Vernon
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
You can get them from any NAPA auto parts store for less than $10. It's not worth stealing but thieves don't know it.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50014+2014021
Vernon
damn thats freakin awesome, i never ordered one cause of the hassle but i pass a napa everyday on my way home, ima get one today!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was searching last night. Ebay has them for around $11 shipped. Amazon, about the same. Vatozone, Napa, Adavanced, etc, have the "Help!" brand for about $7.99. GMPartsDirect wanted like $26 before shipping. Rockauto had 3 different ones, a GM brand, the Help! brand, and another aftermarket brand.
I went with the GM brand and got it for under $8 shipped. Definitely cheaper than if I went to Vatozone down the street to buy it. However, the one I bought they only had a limited number of. When I started my search it said they had 6 left. By the time I finished ordering, they only had 3 left.
Hope this helps some of you guys out.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Super-Bat

hmm im sure a chevrolet dealership sales them...

Quick Reply: 2000 Silverado Tailgate Handle Bezel Theft