Intermittent knocking/ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent knocking/ticking sound

I’ve been working on Matt’s 2002 Ceta, for some reason it is getting an intermittent ticking sound. While driving it will come in very lightly and slowly get louder for a few minutes then goes away. Sometimes the ticking is very faint and other times it is noticeably loud. A few months ago I changed the lifters (2nd set) when he switched back to 317 heads and the ticking is still here. Last night I pulled the valve covers and did a visual check on the valve springs (Patriot Gold’s), checked/cleaned the push rods and checked the rockers. Everything looked to be in great shape…

I do not think it is in the clutch/pressure plate, when you push in the clutch nothing changes. When you rev up the motor the ticking speeds up.

I’m wondering if anyone has experienced and accessory going out and making an intermittent ticking/knocking sound. The car does have a Pro Charger on it and I was thinking it may be coming from the head unit.

Matt did tell me the previous motor was making a knocking noise also. I was not working on the car at that time so I could not tell you if it was the same noise. The only thing that was used form the previous swap was the cam, push rods, valve springs and accessories. Everything else has been changed.

I’m driving the car today, it did it on my way to work but I was not able to pull over and see where it was coming from. It sounds like a lifter but I would not think he bought 2 bad sets…This is something that has been going on for a while, I think Matt has put 4-5k on it and been running the hell out of the car. It has not affected anything “Yet” and would like to find the issue before it does cause serious motor damage. Let me know what you think or if you have ever experienced something like this. I’m pretty open to any suggestions…
Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what lifters are in it now?
length of push rods ?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tootall
what lifters are in it now?
length of push rods ?
I want to say they are Comp Cam lifters and Texas Speed 7.400 push rods
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Launching!

If they are the comp cam "R"s they have a tendency to tick.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by Tootall
length of push rods ?
this would be what id check 1st.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by viper9403
If they are the comp cam "R"s they have a tendency to tick.
I will have to check the box when I get to the shop tonight.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I will have to check the box when I get to the shop tonight.
If they are, people tend to add to much preload using a longer pushrod and they begin to tick, being comp only recommends .002-.004" on the type "R"s.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would also check all pushrods with a strait edge.
what rocker arms?

i know some older cars would make a strong intermittent ticking noise.
and for some reason it was relays. not saying this is what it is, but its possible.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

After changing two sets of lifters my ticking was a cracked weld on the header. It wasn't noticable until the car warmed up.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

After driving it for a bit today I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the oiling system. When you run the car steady at about 2k the ticking comes in and stays until the car is at Idle for a minute. I did this several time and it is consistent. It is acting as if the lifters is getting dry and at Idle/low RPM they pump back up.

It carries 40 pounds of oil pressure at all time whether idling or 2-3k. I wonder if the seal around the pick up tube it damages or the oil pan gasket is damaged at the ports that push the oil to the top of the motor. Acts like the top end is going dry at higher RPMS
Old 06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

its not spark knock is it? just an idea?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad I am still with the thought that it is a lifter or a wrist pin really the oiling problem is another issue as at 40lbs of oil presure still wouldn't be little enough to cause a tick. But Matt had run some thicker oil in there and said it got better for a while lol! GL! Thats one of those things like I told Matt that are very hard to find out what it is. John landers rebuilt his after a mystery noise on his wifes caddy and Eric at HKE took it apart and couldn't tell what the problem or noise was for sure as everything looked fine. In the end we just thought that is was probably a wrist pin, but after Eric installed pistons and rods it was perfect again lol!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

sounds like a wrist pin to me, good luck with it.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i know a tick would drive me nuts.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Matt brought the car back to me last night, I replaced the oil pump and at this point the ticking is gone. I drove the car to work this morning and ran it at 2500rpms for several minutes and still nothing. Looks like the oil pump could have been the issue, I will know for sure after he drives it for a few days.

Usually it starts knocking/ticking after a few minutes once the car gets up to operating temperature.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes Chad, If you are not supplying enough circulation of oil, that could possibly turn into a nightmare. The oil pump would be my first guess, then the lifters and so on. Now you may want to make sure all lifters are fine. Having dry lifters will definitely cause ticking noises. I think you/Matt will be fine now....
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BADZ
Yes Chad, If you are not supplying enough circulation of oil, that could possibly turn into a nightmare. The oil pump would be my first guess, then the lifters and so on. Now you may want to make sure all lifters are fine. Having dry lifters will definitely cause ticking noises. I think you/Matt will be fine now....
Lets hope so, This is one issue I would like to get past... LOL

I was hoping to get my car about done but between everyone elses I had to put the car cover on it and just let it sit.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

I know im digging this up from a while ago, but curious as to if the oil pump fixed the issue? My car is doing this exact thing with the intermittent lifter noise/tap. It did it before and after replacing the lifters, cam, pushrods, heads, springs. etc.. The car had a cam previously and when i did the first cam swap 30k plus miles ago i did put in a new ls6 ported oil pump. The car sat for a year or more when the lifter issue started. My first thought was bad lifter and after swapping those out and still having the problem I was beginning to think it was the oil pump or possibly the O-ring being dry rotted somehow from sitting for a year or so. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BadBlackZ
I know im digging this up from a while ago, but curious as to if the oil pump fixed the issue? My car is doing this exact thing with the intermittent lifter noise/tap. It did it before and after replacing the lifters, cam, pushrods, heads, springs. etc.. The car had a cam previously and when i did the first cam swap 30k plus miles ago i did put in a new ls6 ported oil pump. The car sat for a year or more when the lifter issue started. My first thought was bad lifter and after swapping those out and still having the problem I was beginning to think it was the oil pump or possibly the O-ring being dry rotted somehow from sitting for a year or so. Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the late response, yes it was the oil pump.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe I could throw a new pump in my 180k mile 6 liter silverado. It started ticking a month ago, and I wish it would stop it blow up so I have a reason to put a better engine in. Lol

Quick Reply: Intermittent knocking/ticking sound