Any SAM students

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any SAM students

Hey i am looking to go back to school and am considering SAM, any of you Texans SAM students? I just want to see what you all think of the school and what there is to do around Houston.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll get you the contact info for my friend, he can tell you his experiences.

Last edited by tripps; 06-29-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i would not move to texas just to go to school. I have tried college when I was younger and still am not a college person, too long of a process and unnecessary classes have to be taken.

Are you a SAM student or graduate?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

No but a good friend is and he regrets going there instead of college. Just trying to help out. I bet there are a couple of people on here that went there and can help you out if you are dead-set on it.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh thanks man I appreciate that, I was just wondering from people that were there, what about it makes your friend wish he did not go?

College would be an option but I am 25 now and just know that college is not an option for me and I love building quick cars I just need a formal training or cert that says I can so the big fish say they want me.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Teching In

sam houston state?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

School of Automotive Machinists. Located in Houston, Texas.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

thats what i figured lol, just making sure. good luck with school
Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

What about the Hennessey Tuner School? is it worth the 15 grand?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrapyourtool
thats what i figured lol, just making sure. good luck with school
Lol that actually did make me laugh a little, thanks i hope it is worth it, good thing I am stupid good at math.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tripps
No but a good friend is and he regrets going there instead of college. Just trying to help out. I bet there are a couple of people on here that went there and can help you out if you are dead-set on it.
who is your friend that regrets going to SAM?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a grad and current employee at SAM. It was the best thing I have ever done. I went to college before coming to SAM. I majored in Mechanical Engineering at Florida State University before coming to SAM. Best choice I ever made coming to Texas. Our program is all about the theory and hands on machining of high performance engines. Between the 3 courses we have at School, Block, Cylinder Head, and CNC Machining, we have around 100 students total in the entire school. We're very small and specialized. If you want to get into the motorsports industry gives us a call at 713-683-3817 or check out the website www.samracing.com

Last edited by DMSZ28; 06-28-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Do yourself a favor, and go to a college. UH would be a lot better than SAM.
How can you say one is better than the other when they have completely different purposes? It all depends on what you want to do.

To the OP, I've heard some good things about SAM but I have no specifics. I think there are quite a few people on here that have been there though.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing. Hoping to hear from some students and/or grads to hear what the school was like while attending, and what they are doing now for work.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually hoping to attend next year, but finish with my associates first. Was thinking take some mechanics courses at san jac, then go to sam.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not everyone is going to be successful. There are a lot of folks that went to college and moved back in with Mommy and Daddy after finding out you can't get 60K+ jobs with a piece of paper and no experience.

If you want to go to SAM, go for it.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Just retelling my friends experience. If that is your passion then by all means go for it.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I started going to SAM in July of 2005, less than 2 weeks after I ETS'd from Army active duty, and after finishing only the Engine Block course, I had a job building engines for an Offshore Powerboat company in Florida. It was by far the best job I've ever had, it didn't even feel like work!

Before I even took the job in Florida, I had already planned on coming back for the Cylinder Head course after I got some experience under my belt. I eventually came back to Texas and started attending SAM again. Before I graduated, I was already working for a local machine shop building engines, until 2009, when I decided to finally go to college, which is where I'm at now: pursuing a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering.

For me, SAM was one of the best decisions I've ever made, but I think that's in part because I worked hard enough to reap the rewards. For someone who probably didn't pay attention in class, or maybe left early, or even felt like they were entitled to a job after graduating, I can see those people regretting going to SAM, because as Jud will tell you, "...it's all about how bad you want it".
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMSZ28
I'm a grad and current employee at SAM. It was the best thing I have ever done. I went to college before coming to SAM. I majored in Mechanical Engineering at Florida State University before coming to SAM. Best choice I ever made coming to Texas. Our program is all about the theory and hands on machining of high performance engines. Between the 3 courses we have at School, Block, Cylinder Head, and CNC Machining, we have around 100 students total in the entire school. We're very small and specialized. If you want to get into the motorsports industry gives us a call at 713-683-3817 or check out the website www.samracing.com
I already got the packet and have been online, I am more or less asking for people who attend or have attended the school and what they thought or what they are doing now.

I was a Mechanical Engineering major at Cal State Northridge (yeah i live in hippie-fornia) I barely went to class and had a 3.75 gpa after my first year and believed it to be a waste as most of what i was learning I could read about and do with my hands with an engine or just by doing myself.

I am still considering it but due to me having been working and have some debt I know it will create more of a challenge for me but I absolutely love this kind of stuff currently I am building a turbo fwd 3.8l impala with a friend, did my heads and cam on my car, am helping build an 87 rx7 with a blown ford 302 and an old top loader 4 speed trans.

I want to get the theory behind the building of an engine and don't want to have to rely on the whole frame of mind "This works because it has been done before" I want to know and excel at making something work better than has been done.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do yourself a favor, and go to a college. UH would be a lot better than SAM.
your friend must be a retard.

Quick Reply: Any SAM students