Need site or location to get replacement motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need site or location to get replacement motor

I know its not a camaro or firebird, but trying to help out my uncle. Can anyone point me to a site or offer some place local in houston where we can get a replacement motor for a 2004 Silverado 1500.

He took it to the mechanic and they are quoting $4000 + for the motor and installation. Not sure if thats a good price or not, but told him to give me a few days to look around and see what a good deal would be.

He wants a replacement to what he has, but if there is something better that will drop right in with no issues, then that will work also.

But we are looking for less than the $4000 if possible.

Any help would be great.
thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

What happened to the orginal? If its rebuildable, could be cheaper.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

I didnt get all the specifics, but there is a crack, not sure where, but it lets the coolant leak out and motor has bad knocking. I know he said that they opened it up and found this. So they offered him a new replacement for that $4000+ and a rebuilt for i think $2900+ or something in the $3000 range. So just wanted to check if there is something out there that is less money or if thats the range to expect to pay?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CubanGT
I didnt get all the specifics, but there is a crack, not sure where, but it lets the coolant leak out and motor has bad knocking. I know he said that they opened it up and found this. So they offered him a new replacement for that $4000+ and a rebuilt for i think $2900+ or something in the $3000 range. So just wanted to check if there is something out there that is less money or if thats the range to expect to pay?
I'd get a second opinion before dropping that sort of money. My wife had a freeze plug rust out. To make a long story short, they found several reasons why the engine needed to be replaced, but we opted to take our chances and pay the ~100ish to get the freeze plug replaced and the truck ran for several more years. We didn't have knocking, but just wanted to make you aware. BTW, they would have happily financed the new engine for us..