Pool help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pool help...

How do you gauge how big of pool pumps you need? And around the Houston area, where is the cheapest place to buy pool pumps at?

My pool is about 15,000 gallons.... And a pure pain in my ***...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by had20z
How do you gauge how big of pool pumps you need? And around the Houston area, where is the cheapest place to buy pool pumps at?

My pool is about 15,000 gallons.... And a pure pain in my ***...
Go with a salt water setup and you will never go back. You can even get a salt water system at Walmart. With pump size I thought you wanted one that would flow as many gallons per hour as you needed to cycle the water in the pool in the time you have it on. I guess that doesn't matter if you run it 24hrs though.

So if you wanted to run your pump for 5 hours a day you would need a pump rated at least 3,000gph.

Take my advice for what you paid for it .
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been thinking about switching it to a saltwater pool, I'm just weighing my options right now... This pool has been nothing but I nightmare since I've owned the house
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by had20z
I have been thinking about switching it to a saltwater pool, I'm just weighing my options right now... This pool has been nothing but I nightmare since I've owned the house
I feel your pain man, my pump went out Friday. What kind of pump do you currently have? I got lucky my sister works for Grainger and was able to get my exact pump. Even with out her discount it was hundreds of dollars less than going to a place like Leslies. You can go to grainger.com to look it up. Post up what you have Name brand? Model#? HP? VOLTS?

Also yes going to salt will save a ton of money. I do have a salt system but due to some other problems a few months ago went back. With the new pump installed I will be going back to salt. Just in a few months I have spent more on chemicals than a whole year on the salt system.

Last edited by DKM DWN; 07-06-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Converted mine to salt when we moved in 3 months ago and man it's amazingly easy. BTW - Don't get a system from walmart and go with the Hayward Goldline as they make the best salt cells and panels on the market. I went with a 40K gallon system as my pool was on the border for the 25K system. I buy all my pool supplies including parts for my cleaner from poolproducts4less.com as they have the cheapest prices around. Don't by pool products locally (except chemicals and salt) as to give you an example I needed a new quick disconnect for my cleaner hose and Leslies and Warehouse Pool wanted $45 (w/out the valve) and I got it as the above site for $15 shipped (no tax and included the pressure valve).

Go with Saltwater you will never never look back.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Teching In

salt water pools when done right are awesome, when half assed, they are the worst nightmare ever.

<- i used to be a pool cleaner/tech

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Whispe.../dp/B002ALDRL6

thats a good pump, whisperflo pumps are very durable and from what i have seen are easier to clean( pump basket) and maintain(cleaning the impeller)

hayward has some awesome stuff, their gold line is damn good, but if you dont keep up with your chemicals the cells will start to calcify and it will stop producing chlorine, and you will have to shock it(adding more calcium).

anyway, if it gets out of hand it becomes a "vicious circle" of shock, vacuum, backwash, drain pool and start all over again when algae comes back.