SAM School.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SAM School.

Ive been out of the racing seen for a while now for many reasons, but I'm really thinking of jumping back in. Here's the deal, I'm 30, got laid off, cant find a good job, and I'm tired of not having anything on paper to say I'm a worth hiring. Im seriously thinking of going to the School of Automotive Machinists. My questions are for people who have gone there: Which program do you prefer if you have taken multiple? Were you able to land reasonable jobs after graduating? What kind of certification are you receiving after graduating? How was the over all experience. I went to UTI when I was 18 but was unable to finish do to family issues and although I was doing well, my heart really wasnt in it. I wasnt a fan of the whole UTI experience. I would much rather build engines etc. than be a straight up mechanic.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

It all boils down to want and need. People need cars for transportation, they dont need hot rods. Myself and many people I know have had to sacrifice our toys and we all still have to have the general transportation. If I was looking for a direction in my life, during our current economy, I wouldnt be looking to invest my future to a hobby based niche market. Doing general mechanic work might not be what you love, but the multi purpose middle of the road auto shops are doing as well today as they ever have. Probably not what you care to hear, but thought I might interject.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
It all boils down to want and need. People need cars for transportation, they dont need hot rods. Myself and many people I know have had to sacrifice our toys and we all still have to have the general transportation. If I was looking for a direction in my life, during our current economy, I wouldnt be looking to invest my future to a hobby based niche market. Doing general mechanic work might not be what you love, but the multi purpose middle of the road auto shops are doing as well today as they ever have. Probably not what you care to hear, but thought I might interject.
Not saying your wrong buddy but I replace sheetmetal on hot rods every single day. It's def. Not a necessity but there's is a demand for it. You just have to land a job at a shop that doesn't have a tainted name. My dad is a mechanic on the line to this day and this year my shop has been busier than his normal everyday mechanic shop. For the op I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about Sam. Even worked with a guy that went to school there when I was working at tre.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

im attending the school now and love it, the thing is, ive done the every day dealer job, and ya work comes in, but doesnt mean you sell the work when you find stuff wrong, if people dont have the money,generally if someones building a race engine, they have the money to build it, its kind of like would you work on hondas when people dont always have the money hence buying a cheaper car, or someone who can afford a mercedes and can afford to fix it...just food for thought
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Im really leaning toward going as I've only read good things about the school. Money is going to be a huge issue so I'll just have to see how it goes with financial aid