Wheel vibrates...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Wheel vibrates...PLEASE HELP

Need help. Steering wheel is vibrating and I have doen the following....

Setup Iforged aeros 18/19 on a C5 Z.

Wheels have hub centric rings.....

Wheels are balanced.....

Tire pressure is 33 lbs.....

Hand tightened lugs off the ground, lowered car and final torque of 120 ft/lb in a star pattern....

Would increasing tire pressure slightly help?
Would tightening lugs off the ground help?

Steering wheel vibrated before the lug centric rings, does it more after the hub centric rings.

Happens more at the 60-65 mph range. Been reading the web to no prevail.

Please help
Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a front end alignment problem. If the wheels were somehow put on wrong or were not balanced right you would feel the vibration in the seat. If it's coming from the steering wheel then I would say alignment.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your tierod ends you might have some play as it sounds like alignment to me as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Check your tierod ends you might have some play as it sounds like alignment to me as well.
Thanks. Looked at it last night and it was a little loose. Looked like the idiots who did the alignement did not tighten the jam nut back up all the way
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triche
Thanks. Looked at it last night and it was a little loose. Looked like the idiots who did the alignement did not tighten the jam nut back up all the way
That deff could be it. Still check for play in the inner and outer rods to make sure the ends are in good shape and also the boots are not torn. Use a diff alighnment shop next time as well - LOL.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your rotors may be warped
Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it's not the balance then it's either your rotors being warped or your tie rods or something else in the susp that is bad... there was a guy on here a while back that had vibration prob like crazy, balanced his tires like 20 times and all that and it ended up being his rotors... btw torque on the your car is 100ft/lbs but 120 isn't all that bad just letting you know.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Teching In

See if you can get a high speed balance done on the tires. I dealt with a similar issue on my wife's Saturn and always had the tires balanced at Discount tire which was a mistake. As a last resort took it to a Chevy dealership and they did a "force balance" and that fixed the problem. Similar symptoms - vibration at highway speeds.

I changed CV joints, tie rods and steering rack to no avail so don't waste your time and money like I did; take it to a real shop (not a tire/brake shop) and have a real mechanic properly balance the wheels.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrm1493
See if you can get a high speed balance done on the tires. I dealt with a similar issue on my wife's Saturn and always had the tires balanced at Discount tire which was a mistake. As a last resort took it to a Chevy dealership and they did a "force balance" and that fixed the problem. Similar symptoms - vibration at highway speeds.

I changed CV joints, tie rods and steering rack to no avail so don't waste your time and money like I did; take it to a real shop (not a tire/brake shop) and have a real mechanic properly balance the wheels.
haha lucky you, fyi dealer ships are just as stupid as some of the techs at some tire shops... i get tires in all the time that got there tires rotated n balanced at a dealer while getting a oil change and they counter balance the **** outta some of those wheels... just have to find a good tire shop or a good dealer in your case.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I see the problem and you're not gonna like the answer...
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5w20
I see the problem and you're not gonna like the answer...
Um. Ok?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
if it's not the balance then it's either your rotors being warped or your tie rods or something else in the susp that is bad... there was a guy on here a while back that had vibration prob like crazy, balanced his tires like 20 times and all that and it ended up being his rotors... btw torque on the your car is 100ft/lbs but 120 isn't all that bad just letting you know.
thanks man. sent you a PM. Its torqued to 110
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a wheel repair shop check to see if your rims are bent.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

i spun them and dont appear to be. What is confusing is that when I initially put them on, I had a little shaking in the steering wheel. I put in some hob centric rings, they shake a little more. I took the wheels off the car, made sure the hubcentric rings where fitting properly, and it does. I also sanded the rotor face and the back of the wheel to make sure no issue there. I also tightened the jam nut on the tie rod end thatseemed to be a little loose. I also checked the tire pressure. Max PSI is 44, PSI was about 30 -32. I inflated it to 36. We will see what happens. This **** sucks. If it doesnt work, I am going to get the wheel rebalanced.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I knew someone with some Iforged wheels that was having the same vibration problem. He must have rebalanced them 3-4 times. He finally took them to a wheel repair place and one of them was bent/out of round.

They don't charge anything so it would hurt to have them take a look instead of spending money on having various places try and balance them.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I knew someone with some Iforged wheels that was having the same vibration problem. He must have rebalanced them 3-4 times. He finally took them to a wheel repair place and one of them was bent/out of round.

They don't charge anything so it would hurt to have them take a look instead of spending money on having various places try and balance them.
hey fool do me a favor....
Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
hey fool do me a favor....
More info please. who and where and what
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ

Bent/out of round for $500 alex.

What is....non oem wheel alex.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ULIFTULOSE99
Sounds like a front end alignment problem. If the wheels were somehow put on wrong or were not balanced right you would feel the vibration in the seat. If it's coming from the steering wheel then I would say alignment.
Dear mr 2010,

Please keep that **** sucker of yours closed, do not spread bullshit information like that around anymore. You could not be absolutely any more wrong with your "diagnosis".
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

I noticed my steering wheel has a very slight oscillation to it. I've recently had a front-end alignment, though, with a new rack and pinion, tie rods, etc.