sad day... :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down sad day... :(

well guys, another one bites the dust- due to rain...

Wednesday morning i was headed to work on I-30 eastbound almost to loop 12. it was raining heavily, so i was only going like 50-ish. i was in the left lane and there was an 18-wheeler next to me when i hit a spot of standing water and spun towards the center concrete barrier. i corrected and got it back under me for a split second and lost it again going the other way, straight across the left lane and into the 18-wheeler's trailer axles. my beautiful Lexi ('00 SLP SS) according to State Farm is a total loss. tis a sad day and it makes me wanna .... here are some before/after pics.

this was my first accident, and it was DAMN scary sliding across the highway into an 18 wheeler. a few feet different and i would have ended up under the trailer and possibly ran over. big thanks to the Man upstairs for me walking away!
Attached Thumbnails sad day... :(-wreck1.jpg   sad day... :(-pic-0261.jpg   sad day... :(-wreck2.jpg   sad day... :(-wreck3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

1st, glad your ok and cars can be replaced! 2nd..That looks fixable, even though the core support took a decent shot...she doesn't look twisted up... Do you doors open up just fine? You might buy it back from the ins company and get her fixed...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
^^^^x1 Registered User

The good thing is that your fine. Cars can be fix most of the time. Ur best bet is 2 buy it back n fix the sexy SS.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

here's the thing about buying it back... i have nowhere to put it! i want to keep it, and its only 2200 to keep her, but i just have no space to put it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

That REALLY sucks especially since it looks like it's a custom color. That means it was something special to you that you didn't want to see go.

That being said,(I know this may be too soon and a shameless plug) I have a custom SS clone that may be of interest to you. I put some serious time into it myself as well as the previous owners.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...ale-trade.html
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k_dub09
here's the thing about buying it back... i have nowhere to put it! i want to keep it, and its only 2200 to keep her, but i just have no space to put it.
Buy it back get a storage unit that can hold it for you until you can get it fixed.

Some of the places will let you work in the unit to fix your car.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man rear drive vehicles suck in the rain. I just leave mine in the garage.

Glad ur ok. I have spun in both my 2000z and the 94 Formula I had on wet roads. The z was due to slicks on the back, that was the longest drive of my life.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy it back
Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy it back, I can tell you right now, with ~$500, and 2-3 hours of time, you can have it driving fine again. I just went through this exact same thing. Brother lost control after being cut off in a rain storm, slid off the road, and through the woods.

We bought her back, I put in some cash and wrench time and have driven her daily since then. If you really WANT to keep the car, and fixing it is worth the time and money and you don't care about resale value....buy it back.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

here's another question- are there ignition kill switches on our cars that prevent the motor from starting after a crash? cause the SES light was on after the crash and it wouldnt start
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

No kill switch, but a main fuse panel is right where the impact spot is. Might have busted a wire off a fuse block.

Sorry for the loss. My was taken out too in February, but I bought it back and put it back together.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

When are people going to learn that Nittos and the rain just don't mix??

Sorry about your loss.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't worry guys, if he decides not to fix it, I will. Already PM'd him. Hell if I fix it and you want to buy it back, I would sell it back to you for cheap(like $5k, $6k etc just depends).

For him it would cost a LOT more than $500 because of the custom stripes and paint color. It's going to be several thousand just to paint it. I need a project for my Skills USA thing in autotech for high school so I was wanting to fix this car and enter it in.

Here is my car though.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Don't worry guys, if he decides not to fix it, I will. Already PM'd him. Hell if I fix it and you want to buy it back, I would sell it back to you for cheap(like $5k, $6k etc just depends).

For him it would cost a LOT more than $500 because of the custom stripes and paint color. It's going to be several thousand just to paint it. I need a project for my Skills USA thing in autotech for high school so I was wanting to fix this car and enter it in.

Hey retardedpenguin your going to be doing my car soon want to use mine for this??
And how long do you have to have the car for for this class project?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Hey retardedpenguin your going to be doing my car soon want to use mine for this??
And how long do you have to have the car for for this class project?
I am not sure, I will ask tomorrow. I know I will have the car a while though depending on how far it goes. I was going to use my Camaro but have to wear safety glasses in the pictures so I don't think I can use it.

I will try and get all the details tomorrow.

Also did you find a color? I think BMW Crimson red darkened up a little would look pretty good.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
I am not sure, I will ask tomorrow. I know I will have the car a while though depending on how far it goes. I was going to use my Camaro but have to wear safety glasses in the pictures so I don't think I can use it.

I will try and get all the details tomorrow.

Also did you find a color? I think BMW Crimson red darkened up a little would look pretty good.
The crimson red is the color I will be doing.. As for what you said above sounds cool "BMW Crimson red darkened up a little would look pretty good".

As for the time it will take if its a class thing I might be cool with it. Just let me know.

My car is a toy...... Sam88gta1 has my car right now.. when he's done I will let you know.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same thing happend to my friend and almost identical accident.
still fixing his camaro as we speak =/
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah they said my car was a total loss too....

i spun out and hit a light pole just behind my left head light. the pole/curb took out my fender, hood, bumper, lower control arm, rim/tire, tie rod, and bunch of other misc. crap along with my frame getting tweeked and needing to be pulled.

there are loop holes. pm me if you wanna know more.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 08-30-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Well good news boys! A family friend has a barn he offered to let me keep that car at while I piece her back together, so I'm keeping it! I'm very happy.. So now that I have something else to drive and a place to keep the car, I'm thinking about pulling the motor and doing h/c while she's down. I'll keep y'all posted- THANK YOU for all the replies and well wishes, means a lot.. So now my search for motor and body parts begin!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a upper control arm and tie rod end if needed. NIB. let me know.