Car got a little wet inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car got a little wet inside

I left my windows cracked a few inches and it starting pouring down in school. My teachers wouldn't let me leave but I managed to sneak out during lunch and close them, of course it didn't matter by then. It wasn't anything to cry about but I noticed a little smell, what can I do to keep it from mildewing?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm, i wonder if you wet vacced it, then sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol and the vacuumed it again if it would help? Just an idea off the top of my head but it seems it might work.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

There is a spray that you can get at a carpet cleaning supply co that has a bacteria (I think) in it that eats mold spores.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To do it right, you really need to pull the carpet up around the door sills and check to see if the insulation under the carpet is wet at all. If it is, you need to pull the carpet and replace the insulation or you will never really be rid of the smell.

Don't leave your windows down! My father in law does this all the time and has had this happen a ton of times, but he still does it. Houston weather changes constantly. Not too mention it makes it easier for someone to get in and steal something or the car itself.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leadfoot is deadnuts on point...I had this happen with my NBM Z/28...seat got damp, but had puddles on the carpet... I pulled the seats, carpet, and pretty much all interior that day. There are drain plugs underneath that carpet that need to be pulled. Get the carpet out asap and shampoo, then dry it with fans. I ended up conditioning my seats as well... If you leave that carpet in that car, it will smell like strippers **** after a long night on the pole...Not to mention all the water and moisture under the carpet where you wiring is ran, potential for electrical issues down the road if any connections/wiring are exposed to that water...

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 08-30-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Heck, I had about an inch of standing water in the rear floorboard of my old 97 Camaro convertible. It had a cut in the convertible top that was directly above the center hump in the rear floorboard, before I could get the top replaced a HUGE storm system rolled through and the water pooled up on the roof and then the temporary patch I had on it started to go and it just came on in. I just soaked up the water with towels, let it air dry and then febreezed the snot out of it once or twice. I never noticed a bad smell or anything.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it wasn't a ton of water just wet dry vac it as much as you can. The let it set outside an bake on a hot day!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well if it just got damp you're fine. just wet vac if you have to, let it dry, then hit it with a steam vac and some good upholstery foam. smell should be gone and just keep an eye(and a nose) out for mildew.

if mildew does pop up then you know what has to be done.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Teching In

The sooner you dry it, the less potential for smell. The carpet store chemical idea is dead-on, you have to kill the mold spores. If you have time, pulling the carpet & drying in the sun, pad side up, is a great start.