Oil Leak= No Service?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Leak= No Service?

Meant to post this awhile back, but just remembered today.
I usually have my oil changed at NTB because it's local, relatively quick, and where I buy my tires so I have them serviced as well all for about $20.
Anyway, last time I went they took FOREVER and a day. I watched as the tech, a manager and another manager walked under my car and stared.
One of manager's came up to me and explained that I've got myself an oil leak.
I told him I was fully aware that my rear main seal was leaking. He said they wouldn't be able to complete the oil change until I have that repaired.
I told them I'd love to have it fixed, but was told that they don't do the repair, since it's too extensive. He told me they now do.
He went ahead and did the oil change this one last time but put a "note" on my record refusing any future service until the oil change was repaired or serviced by them.
Apparently it's some liability thing that's going around. They tell customer A "you've got an oil leak. you should get it fixed" customer A says "sure. i'll take care of it later" and they never do. Then they drive like a jackass and blow up their car. They tell insurance, "well no one told me it was in need of repair" and it comes back to the shop that serviced them last. To prevent any he said/she said legal battles, companies are now refusing to do service until the vehicle is brought up to "safe" standards.
My leak is very slow, I never notice a drop in oil level/pressure from one oil change to the next.
I've had it for at least the 2 years of owning this vehicle and naturally, it's created quite a mess under the car.

I'm debating on whether I should try my luck at a different shop, or bend over and take the large repair bill to get my leak fixed.

Opinions?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change your own oil. Cheap, quick and reliable.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Change your own oil. Cheap, quick and reliable.
he aint kiddin...i took mine to have it done once cuz i thought they would go thru and do their "24 point check" or whatever like they say they do and charge u for...paid 80$ they didnt check jack ****, AND they tried to put conventinal instead of synthetic...never again will i pay someone to change my oil it really is simple

Last edited by Chrismikeb; 09-06-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Paying someone to change your oil is stupid...
Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed. i dont trust anyone to change my oil...if i get oil on the outside of my pan or on the cats or anything, i wipe it off the best i possibly can...would NTB or anyone similar? i doubt it..just a personal preference.. in all the time i've owned an f-body (for about 4 years now) i've never let anyone else change it..
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I used to work at NTB and I am familiar with the policy. We would only do that on cars that have BAAAAD oil leaks. Like oil going all the way back to the muffler cause it's been leaking so bad.

My best advice is to clean the underbody before you take it back next time. And if they notice the "note" on your work order, just tell them that you got it fixed at the dealer.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I used to work at NTB and I am familiar with the policy. We would only do that on cars that have BAAAAD oil leaks. Like oil going all the way back to the muffler cause it's been leaking so bad.

My best advice is to clean the underbody before you take it back next time. And if they notice the "note" on your work order, just tell them that you got it fixed at the dealer.
Interesting. Well, like I said, it's been at least 2 years. The gunk has made it's way pretty far back by now. I'm trying to think of the easiest way to clean it off, but I'm drawing blanks. What do you guys do to clean your underbody?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball

Me too. He is correct on the policy. However at my shop we would tell the owners even if it was a small leak.. Its better for them to know. We would not refuse service if it was a tiny leak.. Thats lame..
Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Banned

1 change your own oil..and 2 anyone charging you over 400 todo the rear main on your car is ripping you off
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Me too. He is correct on the policy. However at my shop we would tell the owners even if it was a small leak.. Its better for them to know. We would not refuse service if it was a tiny leak.. Thats lame..
I'm assuming your shop doesn't do MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of dollars a year. Ppl know NTB is easy to get over on so they go there and get **** done for FREE(not saying all ppl) and when your a shop that size, yeah you turn away work bc the dumbass driver will come back and say you never told them that something was wrong and then you end up buying them the motor they wanted you to replace in the first place.

How's that lame??

Also how can any of you guys say having someone else change your oil is Stupid?? $20 bucks and not getting a lick of oil or grease on you is not worth your time, give me a break. You can't even do a DIY oil change for that price. Then again, you get what you pay for...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Also how can any of you guys say having someone else change your oil is Stupid?? $20 bucks and not getting a lick of oil or grease on you is not worth your time, give me a break. You can't even do a DIY oil change for that price. Then again, you get what you pay for...
This is my philosophy. I can drop it off, get a haircut, grab a bite to eat, pick it up and be on my way in less time and money than it takes for me to do the change myself.
Plus, it's 10x more convenient. Also saves me a trip from having to take it there anyway to get my tires rotated/balanced/etc.

Also, I've been quoted in the $700 region for getting the rear main seal replaced.
Plus, since they'll be dropping the tranny, I figured I might as well replace the clutch which only adds to the cost.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Well I would have suggested spraying the oily areas with Simple Green, giving the area a good scrub down and spraying it off with a pressure washer but since your afraid of getting dirty I will suggest taking it to a shop and have the rear seal replaced and ask them to clean it up for you.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

i think paper towel would clean it up.. obviously won't be like super shiny or anything, but it'd get rid of most evidence of a leak.

or if it's really nasty, engine degreaser or brake cleaner.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Take it to a drive in car wash, use the degreaser and then power wash it off. As long as it's not oily looking, they won't care if it's stained.

I'd wait till you need a clutch tho. It should only add a little bit more labor and parts on top of what already has to be done. Best thing to do is find a "starving mechanic" that is familiar with the f-bodies that will do it all for like $400.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
I'd love to know who does Full Synthetic for $20 and does it right

Firestone wanted $30+ to put standard oil in my wife's SUV and that's with a F&F Discount

And while we might get what we paid for once in a while, I've also seen a couple cars go out dry as a bone and get new engines from the shop, so sometimes we get more than we paid for
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bring it by my shop and I will pressure wash it on my lift...
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Bring it by my shop and I will pressure wash it on my lift...
Chad you have PM.
If you've still got my number, shoot me a text!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Chad you have PM.
If you've still got my number, shoot me a text!
Here is a Picture of one of my cars, Having a clean car makes it wonderful to work on... LOL

Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

OH yes! If we can do that to mine, that'd be fantastic! If my car looked like that, even with a leak they'd probably not even realize it! haha.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
I'd love to know who does Full Synthetic for $20 and does it right

Firestone wanted $30+ to put standard oil in my wife's SUV and that's with a F&F Discount

And while we might get what we paid for once in a while, I've also seen a couple cars go out dry as a bone and get new engines from the shop, so sometimes we get more than we paid for
Im really confused as to what you mean by doing a full synthetic the right way?An oil change is an oil change. No we do not do full synthetic for $20. A $20 oil change is bulk oil.

We lose money on every $20 oil change we do at NTB. Its really just to keep the customers happy. Any car that we do not feel comfortable working on we can turn away. Once a cars leave the shop we are liable for it so we have to do what we can to cover our own *** because if there is an oil out the person who signed the ticket and double signed is getting fired on the spot.

Search this Thread