no CEL and still fail inspection???

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no CEL and still fail inspection???

my sister has a 02 v6 camaro, it thre a catalytic inefficiency code a couple of weeks ago, so i got a cat welded on at by a friend that manages a mieneke, well drove it prob about 100+ miles now and took to it to get inpsected and it is still failing, im not sure what the inspection dip ***** are tellin my dad but from my understanding if it has no CEL light then it should pass right? i know you got to drive it about 50 miles cause the comp stores the prob until it gets a couple of "ok's" but isn't a 100+ miles more than enough??? any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Every car is different. It probably still has not readys, I see it happen all the time, and people get mad at me all the time because they think I am failing them on purpose. But honestly, I don't want to inspect any car more than once a year...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

leave the battery disconnected for a while. codes cleared.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

the car needs to finish the drive cycle before being inspected. i usually tell people to work off a tank of gas and if the car still fails, then you probably have something else going on. i'd ask your dad what the inspectors said, or better yet, look at the sheet. the car didnt necessarily fail due to a DTC. she could have failed due to a safety, gas cap pressure, or maintenance issue.

dont pull the battery cable. doing so will result in you losing all progress on your current drive cycle. basically, if you lose power, the computer resets and basically you have to wait longer for the systems to reach a "ready" status. i believe you can pass inspection with only one "not ready"
Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the first time it failed due to a the 2 "not ready" and a cracked belt, replaced the belt and drove the car 100+ miles and it failed again today. im not sure what is going on since my dad does everything while im at work and cant go with him to see whats gong on as i would like to... im not blaming the inspector just curious as to why it's still failing the inspection, he is almost about to have to fill up i think he said earlier, what if the 15 days are up to get the prob fixed and it still fails?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

The last two tests to complete are usually the EVAP (evaporated fuel vapor managment) monitor and the Catalyst monitor. EVAP won't run if you fuel is above 3/4 tank or below 1/4. Don't run it on empty or fill it up when trying to finish this monitor. The Catalyst monitor needs some steady state cruising to run. Start the car, let it run a minute then start driving it at part throttle with slow and steady acceleration and braking. Avoid heavy throttle. Come to complete stops and sit for at least 20 seconds at least two times. Most of all get on the highway and set the cruise at 45-60 and just cruise for as long as possible upto 15 miles. Then it should be ready or set a code, whichever is going to happen. If not try it again. You can have the inspection shop check it for ready status as many times as you want in your 15 days.

I had an elderly couple come in mad at me after almost 14 days of driving and not being ready after we had done some repairs. I asked and was told they didn't drive hard and that they had gone to Spring at least once (15 miles on I-45). So I hooked up my scanner and we went for a ride. I set the cruise on 50 and three miles later it was ready and we got their sticker at a shop we both use up the road. ( I don't do inspections, just repairs. So don't PM me wanting "friendly" stickers.)

If the 15 days go by the shop can charge you another $39.50 to inspect. It's not their problem if you vehicle doesn't pass. Most people don't fully understand internal combustion much less how to electronically regulate it's chemical emissions. Even inspectors. So don't be surprised if they aren't much help beyond telling you to drive it for a while as that's good advice. Some peoples driving habits or conditions aren't compatible with quickly finishing emissions monitors, traffic doesn't help. Don't ever pull the battery power to "clear" a code. That's the most common mistake people make. It will either delay you as just stated above by starting you over or make it harder for the repairs to be properly assessed by a technician.

Vernon
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

I went thru this last week, had the vette inspected but passed everything but the 02 sensors weren't ready. So I remembered a few days before the battery was dead and I had to charge it but I only pt like 5 miles on it so thats why it wasn't ready. I drove it to Galveston and back this weekend so next week I will have them hook it up again so I can get my damn sticker.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
well the first time it failed due to a the 2 "not ready" and a cracked belt, replaced the belt and drove the car 100+ miles and it failed again today. im not sure what is going on since my dad does everything while im at work and cant go with him to see whats gong on as i would like to... im not blaming the inspector just curious as to why it's still failing the inspection, he is almost about to have to fill up i think he said earlier, what if the 15 days are up to get the prob fixed and it still fails?
im an inspector and i can tell u if he failed u for a cracked belt, hes just being an ***. its not an inspection item. the only thing i can think of is maybe steering
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElkySS
im an inspector and i can tell u if he failed u for a cracked belt, hes just being an ***. its not an inspection item. the only thing i can think of is maybe steering
iunno that is what my dad told me the first time he went is that there were still "not ready" codes and he said the belt was cracked, i dont know what dick he took it to but this guy sounds like a stickler, im suprised he didnt fail it for the 20% tint... i mean if the belt is cracked i needs to be replaced as that is a very important item so i replaced that the same day...

vernon - thanks for all your advice, the first day after i got the cat put on i drove from one side of pearland to another (about 10-15 miles and about 45 min) and then i hoped on the freeway at set the cruise at about 60 for about a little less than 20 miles, for a total of about ~60 miles and my dad is driving it to work this week hoping that the code will clear... should he stay under 60mph or is that not neccesary? and it has not thrown a code still.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

the car has about 4 systems that go "not ready" when u clear the codes or unhook the battery. what has to happen is u have to give those systems drive time so they can check themselves and clear. on an 02 u are allowed to have 1 not ready. 20% is legal. or it was up until last week when they changed it to 25%
Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well he is giong to drive it all this week and take it back sat and see what happens.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ElkySS
What kind of cars are you inspecting? When I went through inspection school a couple of years ago, belts were on the list. They are still on the list when you go through the pass/fail checklist...
Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Launching!

my not ready codes for evap and 02 htr are failing me right now, but I am guessing that is because I have my rear 02 sensors tuned out because I have no cats. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make the not ready codes say ready. any ideas? i know one way would be to put cats on it and rear 02's and have the rear 02's put back in my computer, but I would rather not have to do that.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

yea i was mistaken. they are an inspection item. i had to ask someone else. they didnt tell me that when i went to the class
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Now I'm pretty sure that v6 camaro has 2 catalytic converters, the million dollar question is did you replace the correct one. I will tell you this, those muffler shop cats aren't worth a **** and probably only have a lifespan of about 1 yr at most.

this thread has more bad info than good info...
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE: well the car finally passed, and the v6's only have one cat it's basically right after the Y part of the exhsaust, right where the passenger hump is at in the floorboard. and to be honest with you, i know the guy that runs the shop so if the bitch goes out he will warranty the ****** for me, it was 150 installed so im not complaining. thanks for all the info, i was worrying there for a second.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
UPDATE: well the car finally passed, and the v6's only have one cat it's basically right after the Y part of the exhsaust, right where the passenger hump is at in the floorboard. and to be honest with you, i know the guy that runs the shop so if the bitch goes out he will warranty the ****** for me, it was 150 installed so im not complaining. thanks for all the info, i was worrying there for a second.
Good thing I was thinking wrong and it only has one and good news that it passed.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastB
my not ready codes for evap and 02 htr are failing me right now, but I am guessing that is because I have my rear 02 sensors tuned out because I have no cats. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make the not ready codes say ready. any ideas? i know one way would be to put cats on it and rear 02's and have the rear 02's put back in my computer, but I would rather not have to do that.
If your rear 02s are tuned out, then they will not be the reason for your 02 heater code. It will be from the front 02's, they probably need to be replaced. Also, if you have an evap problem, the number 1 issue I see with evap is a bad gas cap that is no longer holding pressure.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
If your rear 02s are tuned out, then they will not be the reason for your 02 heater code. It will be from the front 02's, they probably need to be replaced. Also, if you have an evap problem, the number 1 issue I see with evap is a bad gas cap that is no longer holding pressure.
Wouldn't it throw an SES light if my 02 sensors were bad? My gas cap passed the test. I can get my computer scanned, but I'm not throwing any codes. It's just my not ready indicators.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastB
Wouldn't it throw an SES light if my 02 sensors were bad? My gas cap passed the test. I can get my computer scanned, but I'm not throwing any codes. It's just my not ready indicators.
If the rear 02s are tuned out it doesn't matter if they are bad or not, no code will be thrown.

Search this Thread